Next up Niagara - Better way to handle slide out plumbing?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Spridle, May 22, 2020 at 6:00 PM.

1. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

I found this mess when I first put water to it. At first I was going to make all new lines but I see now that they are riveted in place. Length looks to be about 60" but I'm not sure.

I'd love to route these differently so they don't get so crushed when it's closed up. But I'm not seeing anything easy. I'm also not sure how to make these from scratch, but that seems the easiest unless I drill out the rivets to put in complete assemblies. Lastly, seems like shut off valves are needed there in case they rupture unexpectedly?

Attached Files:

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, quick and easy. I have no advice other then im glad its not me doing it! The shut off thing always bothered me also. I guess less stuff to break? Idk.

3. Spridle

Needs more valve.

4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Question is, which is quicker...accessing the area in your picture to find a valve or go outside and turn the water off at the spigot? If you have a pressure reducer on then the threat of a ruptured line is pretty Neil unless they have been compromised somehow.
    The white hose on the blue side looks like it has been repaired before.

5. Spridle

Kinked and repaired. The other one is spewing at that red tape. Like that was going to hold it? Clearly it's an issue given the repairs. If I can figure out a better way to route them so they don't kink when you close it up, I'll feel better. But the valves were more so that if we find ourselves on a trip and the rupture. I can just shut the water off to the outdoor shower.

There's a surprising amount of plumbing in these things though isn't there.

6. Spridle

Not quite done but pretty close. it all goes in and out smoothly, doesn't catch or kink on anything. Got the hot water heater fired up and checked out too. Well all plumbing checked really. Found a few more issues to address. And I think I should get a new anode rod for the heater. But this one is basically checked off the rehab list.

Attached Files:

neighbormike, bheff and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

That looks much better.
    Did you have to do that from the same perspective as your photo? No other access? If so kuddos to you.

8. Spridle

Thanks. Access wasn't bad really. Had to spend the day laying on my side but it was all in easy reach. Hardest part was pulling the slide out in, while laying on my side, so I could see how the hoses were moving and find the best layout. For example, having them laying around the stubs coming up worked best as the stubs held the coil pretty much in place through the 20+ inches of motion. You can see in those two pictures the col really stays pretty much in place through the full range. I also had to shorten those stubs or they ran into the hoses coming down from above no matter what.

I think I will end up redoing a bunch of the plumbing to make things a little cleaner. Maybe make the main line 3/4" too. The feed line into the pump is absurdly kinked as well. Fill tube for the fresh water tank has turned into dust, caulking in the shower is failing and so on. But for now, system holds pressure and everything works well. Even tested the gray and black drains and all seemed to function as it should.

Essentially all came from Home depot. Two 10' sections left full length, so about twice as long as what was in there. Apollo plastic fittings. The only issue is that 1/2" crimp rings are too small for the vinyl tubing and 3/4" are too big. They make 5/8" but it's not a stock item. Ordered from Amazon, will be here tomorrow. In the meantime I just used hose clamps.

9. oceanstater

oceanstater New Member

I found similar horrors beneath my slide out and removed the old tubing leading to the shower, put new brass fittings on the pex and ran metal braided hoses. Also drilled the hole through the floor a little bigger and put a PVC sleeve in it for the hoses to move smoothly.
    I agree about the overall quality of the plumbing and propane lines. They kept it cheap. I'm similarly replacing the kitchen plumbing and propane line in the swing galley with metal braided hoses.

Spridle likes this.