Next up on the Niagara, gas oven no worky

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Spridle, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

The gas oven doesn't work. The seller said they never tried to use it and then one trip they did and found it did not work. This is a suburban without electronic ignition. The pilot light does light, but won't stay lit. The seller provided a new thermocouple. I haven't verified if they got the right part yet or not. But looking at the pilot flame, it just doesn't look right to me. Thought I'd try to post up here and see if anyone had any feedback on the pilot. 84B6B401-6349-4C50-9E9D-7B3022B12CB9_1_105_c.jpeg

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Try the new thermocouple

3. Spridle

It looks like a nightmare to change, but hopefully not. I held the lighter right on it as well and it still went right out. I'll try to get that resolved this weekend.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If your getting gas, try replacing the thermocouple. If it stays lit when fired up on high you have gas. Use a lighter to check it.

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Make sure the other gas appliances work, to ensure there is gas in all the lines. On mine the water heater is always a bear to get started since it is furthest from the tanks. I generally turn the heater on, then plug in stoves on both inside and outside, and then the water heater. It also takes a while for the thermocouple to get heated up enough to where it will keep it on. I usually have to keep the pilot force lit for a minute or two and then it stays lit.

My fridge on the other hand, I have never gotten to light on lpg.

Spridle likes this.
  6. Spridle

The gas is all lit. Stove works great, although I would love to retro electronic ignition to it. Pilot light will stay on as long as I hold the knob in, but goes out when I let go. All of that points to the thermocouple. Some models use a thermopile, but I'm guessing those are the electronic versions.

All signs point to the thermocouple, my only hesitation was that the pilot flame itself looks sick.

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If the oven has never been used both the pilot and burner probably need to be cleaned. Tiny spiders like to nest in such places and obstruct the airflow to the flame resulting in poor combustion. At least find the air vents for the pilot and burner and blow them out using compressed air. The vent for the pilot may be in the nut that joins the burner to the gas line.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  8. Spridle

Thanks. I think this is all going to be pretty painful to get to. I'm not the contortionist I once was. But I hope to give it a shot today yet and hopefully get this checked off the to do list. My kids now have the singular goal of fresh, hot cookies while camping.

9. Spridle

Seller had the wrong thermocouple. Have to find the part number and order another.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Google search your oven with as much info as you can (make, model and issues) and keep changing the info until you find solutions. there should be many solutions for your oven. We had a 2003 oven with the pilot going out 10 to 20 minutes into the bake cycle. A purple squire type problem. Messed up some coffee cake and bread. After googling we found our issue, which is different than yours. It was a new burner design. When going through google I was lead to a lot of issues of the pilot light not staying lite after letting go of the pilot button. there seemed to be lots of solutions from thermocouple, flame and thermocouple alignment, gas flow of the pilot light due to dirty tube and on some ovens there are pilot light gas adjustment screws to adjust the size.
    I believe the plate right above the burner that goes side to side should come out. Mine was 4 screws. Take it out along with the rack and you will have lots of room. If needed, I believe its simple to remove the door, but can not remember how.

11. Spridle

Thanks. This is a really really simple setup. Gas is clearly getting to the burner and I hit the couple with flame from the lighter long enough to have opened it up, even if the pilot flame was weak. For sure everything will get blown out when I replace it and I will hopefully be able to remove the pan you mention for better access. But really it has to be either the thermocouple or the gas valve itself. Either one can be fixed. We also do most of our cooking outside so I don't expect this to be used much. If it's not fixable, I suspect I'd just abandon the oven entirely. But that's really unlikely.

I also dislike that there's no shut off for it, short of shutting off the tanks. Pretty easy to bump a cooktop knob and turn the gas on. At the moment I see no easy place to install a shut off for it, but that's on the list.

12. aracing

aracing New Member

On my first trip with my new 1988 Coleman Williamsburg I could not get the cook stove to stay lit. I finally discovered that the copper gas inlet line to the stove had a sharp bend in it. Straightening it solved the problem.

13. Sjm9911

Dont look at the outside stove line then[:D]

Spridle likes this.
  14. Spridle

Set the camper back up today to start the rehab. I put the new thermocouple in and no love. The pilot was still sick so I pulled that apart and cleaned it all out. Also tested the line without the pilot attached.........................

And I'm still here to talk about it. I was quick :) But it was still pretty spectacular. The pilot light just will not stay lit. My wife said having it working is now a requirement. She's been thinking through camp cooking and has several things she wants to be able to make in advance and reheat in that oven. So I will have to figure it out. I think I saw the entire burner assembly used on Ebay for reasonable. I don't really see any other option at this point.

15. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Sorry you're having difficulty with the oven. Could it be in the knob assembly?? Seems like you've troubleshot everything else. Anyway, try to prepare your wife for a bit of trial and error when it comes to baking anything!! I was so excited to have the oven feature. First thing I wanted to do was cinnamon buns in the morning with coffee and fill the campground with the aroma..........No luck......burned on the outside .....raw in the middle......haven't used it since!! It might be good for a pizza though. Maybe I'll try that next time out.
    Ken

Spridle and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. Sjm9911

Some put a stone in the over to even out the heat. It absorbs the heat and gives it off evenly as well as diffusing the flame.

17. Spridle

Other than the control assembly itself, I don't know what else it could be. Unless I have two bad thermocouples. Seems unlikely. Cooking stone sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna be pissed if I go through all this only to find out the oven is worthless anyway!

18. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Yeah!! I hear you. I like the stone idea too. I really need to make another effort at baking something. I’m guessing it should be fine for reheating and for Dutch oven braising though. Really hope you figure it out. It’s nice when it all works!! And I think you and the family will grow to like the Niagara.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. Spridle

The Niagara is up and getting upgrades, repairs etc. I am feeling much more like it's ours now.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

yes, a pizza stone works to prevent uneven heating/burning. i also use a spare cookie sheet on the bottom. Our pilot light looks like your pic - i have to hold it in for a a short time (like 30 seconds) - before it will stay lit when i release the knob.It seems worse when it has not been lit in awhile. the ovens in both our old HW popup and our current hybrid have been like that.