Next up on the Niagara, gas oven no worky

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Spridle, Mar 20, 2020.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Did you get the oven working @Spridle??

2. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

I have not. I need to pull up the model number again and look for the whole gas assembly. Just haven't had a chance. Until then, there's nothing else to try. Unless I have two bad thermocouples, I don't see anything besides the gas valve itself.

neighbormike likes this.
  3. Spridle

I timed it and held it for over a minute. No difference. I'm going to order a new pilot tube as well, just to have all the parts possible.

Thanks for the tips on baking. Do you leave the stone in the oven? Just wondering if it's going to bounce around in there and damage the oven in travel.

4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

I use the cookie sheet as a defacto pizza stone. i don't like single use stuff unless absolutely necessary so it has to have more than one function and we really don't need a pizza stone - I also have put a pie plate full of cinnabuns on top of an inverted disposable pie tin, that works as well but takes up some of the limited space in the oven.
    it does sound like there may be a problem with the pilot light then - we have to slowly let up on the knob to see if it will stay lit as well. But once it has been lit - it is easy to relite the rest of the weekend (i don't like to leave the pilot burning)

5. Spridle

I FIXED IT! TAKE THAT!

I dug into it pretty deep. Measured voltages coming off the thermocouple, cleaned the inside of the thermocouple connection to make sure it was getting full voltage. Nothing. Gave it a good attitude adjustment in case the gas valve was just stuck. Banging my head against the wall and just nothing. One post had said something about the valve not being fully depressed but the pilot light was plenty big and putting out full voltage so that didn't seem likely, but sure enough..

Undid that screw, pushed the face plate in not even a full millimeter and BOOM. All good. Voltage aside, there has to be a mechanical interlock in the valve and the knob was not fully depressing it. It was just short of allowing the valve to click. I tested it all many times. Works beautifully. Even after fully cooling down it's no more than ten seconds to get the pilot to stay on. Cycled the oven several times and it's modulating well. The oven clearly had never been used once. But it will get some use now!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

that is great! now to have some nice warm cinnamon buns in the am.

Spridle likes this.
  7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Awesome! Now get baking!!
    916248CA-5D3F-4414-AE11-3FDF06290384.jpeg

Attached Files:

Spridle and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Spridle

Definitely!

9. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Outstanding. Please keep us posted as to how the oven performs, especially when baking!!