Niagara power lift probs

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Milktrk, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

Got the pup out of storage getting ready to dewinterize. Got it leveled and lowered the stabs. Started the power lift for the roof after releasing the latches. Motor quit after roof was halfway up. Disconnected shore power and the battery to see if it would reset, no luck. Check fuses- all good. Checked battery on charger (don't have multimeter) and was 13.7v 97% charged. Went to grab the crank handle to finish after disengaging the motor- no crank, either never had it or misplaced it. Going to have to check everything out tomorrow- getting a crank somehow and see about identifying where the problem is!

2. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Should be a 50 amp breaker connected to the battery + lead. Check that (if no meter disconnect it temporarily and try the lift again). Next is high resistance in the motor connectors. Wiggle them. Try again. Next is the current limiter. Not to many ways to test that. You can only put known 12v direct to motor and make sure that works. Then you know you gave a problem between battery and limiter. Do yourself a favor and get a socket genie and at least an 18v driver drill. You will crank for an hour to get that top up. Also disconnect power before you do it. The motor has a dynamic brake and you will fight against it if there is any voltage stored in the motor.

Let us know what you find....

3. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

94-D2
    Thanks for the info- everything 12V in the pup works disconnected the 50 amp breaker and there was a 25 amp fuse wired in that I even replaced that-so I think it's the controller ($$$). It just quit 2 minutes into the lift process.
    I have an extended warranty on the camper I just have to get the roof down so I can get it to the shop.
    I did have some problems with the lift last year and thought it was my battery then but it reset easily (once again grateful that I wasn't on a trip).
    I am kicking myself for not double checking then to see where the crank was to make sure I had a backup for the lift failing.

4. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Hello,

Make sure to NOT have the camper plugged in and raise the top BEFORE putting the stabs down. Supposedly putting the stabs down first puts extra strain on the lift system.

Adam

5. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

So after 7 years of being exposed to the elements and several hours of troubleshooting the final diagnosis is a dead lift motor.
    Have a new one on order and waiting for the parts to come in.
    Meanwhile the pup sits waiting and I'm waiting to go camping still with a bad motor I can't trust disconnecting it to manually lift then plugging it back in and hope the roof stays up.
    Hopefully I'll have a new lift motor soon!

6. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

Adam thank you for the advice. I run the lift off the battery only- but it's sluggishness lifting had me in search of a bigger battery to help give that extra to lift the roof. We will see once I get the new motor installed.

7. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

I am not sure if you are cancelling trips because of this but if you don't trust the broken lift motor to hold the top up you could always cut supports from wood or 1"+ PVC pipe. I carry 2 pieces of 1" PVC pipe in case something like this happens during a camping trip.

Adam