1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

This is not a happy thread. This is not a thread posted for condolences. My 32 year old niece died from drug abuse. She left three young children, two of which her mother (my sister) adopted. The third child was also adopted and is being raised in a good home. I am only posting this because I live in a community where “things like this don’t happen”. Please, seek help for your loved ones. It doesn’t always work, but ignoring problems make them worse. Thanks for reading.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You will still get my condolences. And yes , drugs , mental instability( that leads to drugs) are hard to overcome. Wishing your sister and your family the strength to get through it and peice it back together. Nothing is harder. Unfortunately things like this happen more then people think, but no one talks about it.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Thank you Spencer. I am sure you see it a lot. Not talking about it, not acknowledging it, seems to be a big issue. I didn’t post to make any kind of political stand, but if one person can be helped it’s worth it.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Yes, addiction and depression are serious issues in our society. I am sorry your family is having to deal with this situation. I have experienced it myself in my family, although thankfully they were able to kick the habit (alcohol in my dad's case) but it almost killed him. We flew down to FL when he was in critical care with total system failure, and we all expected he would not last the week, doctors included. He made it through, and despite other issues he has been clean for 13 years now.

My brother is going down the same path, and my mother in law continues to be there as well, despite numerous attempts at rehab. Some people you just can't reach I guess, but we continue to try.

Stay strong.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My condolences.

6. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I appreciate your addressing the gut-wrenching problems that addiction (and mental health issues are often combined) creates pain and suffering (sometimes too much to take) that is more common than people may think because it is usually not shared. Thank you Mike for bringing addiction and it's worse case scenario into this small piece of light. A very good reminder to us all to not only love and appreciate those dear to us, but also do the best we are able to reach out when we know (or suspect) of someone in need of... being listened too, hearing that they are of worth and loved, and that YOU care about them.

May your family find strength and peace as they mourn and pull together to raise your niece's children.

7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

My biggest nightmare worry. It can happen in any family.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Sorry Mike. I truly am. My sister left us a few years back. That shook me for a while. This will follow you for a ways, but don't let it drag you down, or control your directions.

You are not trapped in a prison you cannot see, she was. Don't make yourself a prisoner over it, either sir!

Westcoast, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting, you never know when your words may click for someone and possibly help them.
    I am sorry your family is going through this, and no matter what, is suffering for it.

neighbormike likes this.