Nighttime Fan

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
Something kinda quiet, (unlike my shepherd pole fan/light combo), that is not gonna drain my group 24 overnight.
Just something to move some humid Florida air during quiet hours.
Rechargeable w/15000 mAh?
12v and get a better battery?
USB fan and a power pack?
Appreciate your input!

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
Excellent advice and choices!
Thanks to you all for sharing.
Seems like 8-10” blades and 10000mAh is the sweet spot so it will run all night. (8-10 hours).
We’ve never boondocked, it will probably always be solo except in cooler months. I will have more posts in this category for sure. Thanks again!

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
We have been using these fans for a couple years for tent camping. They work great and use very little power. My large 20k mAH battery pack will run one for a weekend of camping with no complaints. When tent camping I usually have it on a medium speed.

USB fan

If you have power tools, consider a fan that uses the same batteries. I have several Ryobi batteries, and twice as many Kobalt ones. Sometimes I will take a bag of batteries and one of their small jobsite fans, and use it. Bonus - I also have a flashlight and an area light that use the same batteries. They get used on every trip these days, although I'll still light up a gas lantern for ambiance if I am going to be outside for a bit after dark.

I also have a couple fans like Steve posted - they move more air but are dependent on 12V for power. If your pup battery can support that they might be an option. I have one that folds and has side lights on it as well. I think they are made by Treva now - used to be O2Cool.

Lug_Nut

May 29, 2016
Mt. Wachusett area, MA
I picked up one of these at a local re-cycle / re-use store. I see on-line listings from $15 to $23.
Infinite variable speed, USB recharge, replaceable battery, (perfect to swap in the good cells I scavenge from 'dead' laptop batteries), clip on or stand up, quiet operation.
I've had other small fans with shaft bearings that failed (sticky, or loosened and got noisy), and haven't had this one in use long enough to know if it's going to last, but for what I paid (free), and what I spent for batteries (free), it's a bargain.

Mark CASTELLANI

Platinum Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
don't have a pic of our actual ones because we got them years ago but, here's something simular ...

convienently hang above the beds on the shepherd pole..and dual purpose with the built in light...works for us but, then again, we mostly camp in the North East

Happy Trails!

WoNHUSA

Jan 19, 2021
If you are a Dewalt owner…the Dewalt 20v cordless fan works well. It is a bit bulky, but it does move lots of air. The speed (and noise level) is adjustable with the control dial. It is loud enough to drown out the sound of noisy neighbors. We just keep the battery charger in the truck and top it off when driving around during the day. It also can be used with a cord if you end up with power at your site.

oceanstater

Apr 2, 2020
I had a Treva 10 in. portable fan kicking around the house which originally required 6 D-cell batteries (ridiculous, and heavy). I unscrewed the back, found the + and - wires to the circuit board and spliced in the 1/4" jack from an old bunk end fan. Presto, a quiet, lightweight, DC operated fan.

nashville_pupper

Sep 12, 2021
If you are a Dewalt owner…the Dewalt 20v cordless fan works well. It is a bit bulky, but it does move lots of air. The speed (and noise level) is adjustable with the control dial. It is loud enough to drown out the sound of noisy neighbors. We just keep the battery charger in the truck and top it off when driving around during the day. It also can be used with a cord if you end up with power at your site.

This is what we use. Nice AC/DC fan (“For those about to sweat…”). With 20v/3Ah Dewalt battery, on lowest fan speed, this fan will easily blow for 12+ hours straight. Moves air well, too. I would expect one full night of mid-speed fan time per full charge, but as @WoNHUSA mentioned, you can use a standard electric extension cable to power the fan while with Shore Power.

Hoomi

I write everything the voices in my head tell me.
Jul 20, 2012
I ordered two of these for our trailer. My wife is currently using hers in the house, as it moves more air than the 110VAC fan she has. Since our trailer has USB outlets already wired in, they're convenient whether we have Shore Power or not.

pastorkeith

Apr 19, 2017
Ashland KY
Something kinda quiet, (unlike my shepherd pole fan/light combo), that is not gonna drain my group 24 overnight.
Just something to move some humid Florida air during quiet hours.
Rechargeable w/15000 mAh?
12v and get a better battery?
USB fan and a power pack?
Appreciate your input!
I am in agreement on Ryobi. I have the combo fan. It can run on electric if you have it or a battery if you don't. On the 4 amp hour drill battery it will run all night on low. I have a 12v car charger so I can charge while driving.