Nissan Pathfinder

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by chrispt, May 16, 2019.

1. chrispt

chrispt Member

So, our search for a tow vehicle continues. I was wondering if anybody has a Nissan Pathfinder and could offer their opinion. They have a tow capacity of 5000 lbs with 500 lb tongue weight.

2. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

We tow with a Nissan Xterra with no issues. They are on the same platform and the same tow rating.
    We have a decent sized PUP with a slide out dinette, which adds extra weight.

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

The popup in your picture might get close to 500 lbs tongue weight. Is it the factory hitch that is rated that low or something else?

4. chrispt

chrispt Member

I think I read in the owner's manual that that was the max tongue weight for that vehicle.

5. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

Are you sure it's 5000? When I was researching I thought I saw 6000 for the 2019. Its why I looked at the vehicle. Ended up getting a crew cab Silverado so now I basically dont have to worry about tow capacity ever again. Its wonderful.

6. chrispt

chrispt Member

We wouldn't be getting brand new. Probably in the early to mid 2010s range.

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Do you know the tongue weight of your trailer? The Pathfinder might be a nonstarter due to that alone.

8. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Since you mentioned you were considering the 2010 Pathfinder - if you find one with the V8 engine and factory tow package - it could tow about 7200 lbs. i looked at them in 2010 when i was car shopping. Nissan dropped the V8 engine option sometime later (not sure when) which lowered the max tow rating for the Pathfinder to 5000 lbs.
    Also the 2010 Ford Explorer with the V8 engine could also go to 7200 lbs (and yes - Ford dropped the V8 option with the 2011 Explorer and now the tow capacity is only about 5000 lbs).
    Dodge came out with the redesigned Durango in 2011 that could tow 7200 lbs with the V8 engine. I bought the Durango - it handled my highwall popup with no issues at all. and it still handles my hybrid trailer like a champ.

9. chrispt

chrispt Member

10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I have almost the same trailer. They have listed the unloaded tongue weight, which is an empty trailer with no stuff. Add propane and a battery and keep in mind that you want your tongue weight to be between 10-15% of the total trailer weight...I suspect if you loaded your trailer to have only 230 lbs tongue weight, it would misbehave on the road. I know it's a huge pain in the butt, but it might be worth weighing it.

*** please note I could be doing math wrong. :p ***

(My parents have that era Durango with the V8. They mainly haul a small travel trailer. They have been very pleased with it and I have to admit, that very back seat is quite a bit more comfortable than you'd expect!)

11. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

I love my Durango - yes the room in the third row seat was one of the reasons we went with the D rather than the Pathfinder. Also, buying new - i could get the 7200 lb tow capacity with the mid level trim package; with the Pathfinder i would have to buy the top level trim - so the D worked out cheaper to purchase (and Durango is just a cool name LOL). And I really thought i would have more issues with it being the first year of a redesign, but it has been pretty trouble free.