NJ State Park Pet Friendly Camping Pilot Program

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by mschepac, Jun 24, 2009.

1. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

2. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

That's great becauce one of the guys I camp with hates leaving his dog with his sister. I will have to let him know.

3. popuprx

popuprx "Mother Nature's Silver Seed"

This is absolutely fantastic news!
    This being a pilot program, I gather (hope) if it goes well the DEP will expand the program to other State Parks.
    I will be changing my plans to make sure I will be staying at one of the aforementioned state parks in order to participate in the program and spread the word while I am there. It is unfortunate that a few irresponsible pet owners have cast a stigma over those that properly control and clean after their pets. But I hope that the general number of campers realize this and support this measure.
    Hopefully everything goes well and the DEP continues to expand their selection.

Now 3 parks out of 19 is 15% of the state parks that allow camping all three in the southern/middle portion of the state. It is a start but I wished they would have included one in the Highlands/Northern region.

Please support!!

4. jenmel

jenmel Hudson Valley, NY

Gosh, I didn't realize that NJ didn't allow pets while camping. I've gotten spoiled up here in NY. It's so nice to be able to bring our dog, not have to kennel her or find someone to watch her. All I needed was her rabies certification.

We saw so many dogs while we were camping last weekend at a NY DEC campground, and all those that I saw had their dogs leashed like were required, were picking up after their animals, and were respectful of others. There was actually a "greeter" black lab when I checked in, too.

I hope it works in NJ to expand to many more parks.

5. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

Hopefully NJ's pilot program will be a positive experience and will expand in the future. I remember not too very long ago that PA was the same way. Fortunately, they have been expanding their pet friendly program every season since the initial one was started.

As a sidenote, we will be camping at a county park in NJ next month that allows pets. I've heard good things about the park & they allow pets, so I decided to give it a try.

6. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

I did not realize that some states don't allow pets while camping.
    Everywhere I've been has allowed pets as long as they were on a leash and/or confined. I guess I've taken for granted being able to take my dog and allowing her to swim in the lake and such.

I hope the pilot program goes well for you folks in NJ. Hopefully, I few idiots don't mess it up.

Scott & [DOG] Keli

7. popuprx

Being from Northern NJ we unfortunately do not have many places (state) we can camp with our pet. NJ as you have read does not allow pets to camp, High Point/Stokes so are out of the question. For NY unfortunately Harriman which is less than an hours' drive doesn't allow overnight camping with pets. Woodland Valley, which is really nice, is the closest to us and Clarence Fhanestock, but we have not gone there yet.
    It is encouraging to hear PA was like NJ once. Hopefully we can learn from our neighboring state some sensible policies regarding this issue.

8. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

popuprx, I don't know how far you are from Freehold, but we're going to try camping at Turkey Swamp next month. It's a county park. They do allow pets. From what I've heard from others, it's a nice place. The sites are really large, shady, & private. All have water & electric.
    I thought it would be difficult to get a spot in the summer there, but when I called & spoke with the ranger the other day, he said that the wknd we chose in Aug, the place is almost empty.

9. popuprx

Busdriver,
    Thanks for the info. I am a little over an hours drive from there. I am going to contact the park to see their availability. It looks really nice and I'll keep you posted on which weekend I'll be going.
    Thanks again.

10. popuprx

We are reserved for the weekend of July 17th. I'll report back with a review.

11. popuprx