NJ - Turkey Swamp Park

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by Deskpilot, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

15 min from Six Flags Great Adventure. heavily wooded 6 loop CG on relativelh leveled. SAND. Power @ each site w/ FW reachable on a shared post. All sites are. Decent sized and as of Thur 8/5/10 15:00, it's VERY empty and quiet. Your driving skills are to be challengef getting into some spots, but doable. All sites are pull through. If you hook up, I recommend a Site on the RIGHT side of the loop road. So far, rates as a 6 of 10. More to follow.
    En

2. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

We liked Turkey Swamp. We were there this wknd last yr. The place was packed, but at nighttime it quieted right down.

How about those water hookups? Someone warned me they were quite a distance. Our hoses didn't reach so we filled our tank as we entered our site. I, too, agree with going for a site on the outside of the loop. We were on the outside of E & really liked it over, there backing up to the woods.

Driving skills, uh yea. Some of those trees on the bends make getting a truck & 25' trailer through there interesting.

3. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Alright, I was a little wrong. It's about 25 min (incl TRAFFIC) to SFGA.
    What a GREAT campground. The quiet here would need to be cut with a chainsaw it was so peaceful [SNZ]

Let me tell you a few more things my rookie eyeballs observed about Turkey Swamp Park .
    The overarching word to describe this campground is [SIZE=x-large]CLEAN [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=small]The staff at this park does a better job of cleaning that SFGA where the staff walks around with litter claws all day. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]The restrooms and shower area were TOP NOTCH clean. They were so clean a bloodhound couldn't find them. All of the expected items were well stocked and ready for a days' use. I even took a shower barefoot because I was stupid enough to pack my shower shoes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]A Staff member was using a backpack blower AFTER 9:00 to blow clean the playground area of sand off of the rubber matting. Another staff member was busy raking the fallen leaves around the shower room. @ 9:30, two other staff members drove through to collect the trash from the trashcan located at each site. Later, the recycle bin was picked up. [/SIZE]

In our campsite, there were fresh steel rake marks indicating that the utmost attempt is made to keep sites lump free for the tent community. The camper pads were as close to level as I have seen. I saw not ONE unit with leveling blocks under wheel. Sure, everyone had boards under stabilizer, but it's SAND.

By far the SMARTEST policy I saw was the [{:)] Ranger who patrolled approximately every hour. The best part of his rig was the fact that it was itself a first responder level firetruck ready to answer the call to a minor fire. Talk about putting safety first.

I made a point of thanking the staff members on duty for the exceptional maintenance of their campground and promised them a link to this report.

You couldn't go wrong picking this campground for an outing with friends and family. Sites can handle just about any sized rig. I saw one that was probably about 2 1/2 feet short of being labelled a PARK model. He slipped out in the early hours and no trees were felled

At $33/night, this was money well spent and I recommend that if you're headed to the area to give this COUNTY park a try.

Enjoy the pics

4. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

NJGuy lived on the Jersey Shore for 24 years. I have driven by the exit off of I 195 to Turkey Swamp Park so many times. It was a 40 minute drive from Fair Haven, NJ. My girls were not into camping, so we never camped there.

5. bross1959

bross1959 New Member

My DH and I camped there a couple of weeks ago for the first time. We were extremely impressed. I agree with everything the camper above mentioned. It was the first time I ever had water hooked up to the PUP (We have only camped 3 x with it so far) and I am telling you, there is nothing like having running water in your camper. My son says I am taking the "camping" out of camping. But I said, "At my age, this is camping". We stayed at D10, which was next to the restroom (with a field in between). It was a fabulous site. Even though there is only one bath house in the entire campground, it was immaculately kept and NEVER crowded. I think I saw a total of 2 or 3 other people any time I ever went to it. The showers were very warm and very clean.

They also had awesome trails. We took our bikes and rode the trails. The scenery was beautiful. You are also close enough to just about any store if you should forget anything and need a Walmart or Home Depot, etc. As the other camper stated it is $33 for Monmouth County residents and only $37 for non residents.

Oh, and you can bring your dog with no extra charge!!!!

We are definitely going back. [8D]

6. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Always good to hear a happy camper.