NM-City Of Rocks

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
1,229
Albuquerque NM
We will be heading to City Of Rocks SP NM near Deming NM the weekend of 23-25 March. This will be our first time there to camp and will give a detailed report. We will also drive down to Rockhound SP and do some rockhounding and check out the facilities there.
If anyone wants to meet up with us you are definitely welcome. I need to get the DW out of the house before she shoots me and because she needs to reset from this past year of school stresses.
 

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
13,552
Albuquerque, NM
bearman512 said:
We will be heading to City Of Rocks SP NM near Deming NM the weekend of 23-25 March. This will be our first time there to camp and will give a detailed report. We will also drive down to Rockhound SP and do some rockhounding and check out the facilities there.
If anyone wants to meet up with us you are definitely welcome. I need to get the DW out of the house before she shoots me and because she needs to reset from this past year of school stresses.
We camped at City of Rocks close to 20 years ago, in the ground tent. The tent "pad" was in a niche in the rocks, so we had to exit carefully and sidle out sideways, the door had to face the rock wall for the tent to fit.
We camped at Rockhound a couple of years before that, things may have changed in the meantime.
Have fun.
 

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
1,229
Albuquerque NM
Finally got to City of Rocks. Here are pictures as promised.
City+of+Rocks+and+Rockhound+SP+064.JPG


City+of+Rocks+and+Rockhound+SP+012.JPG


City+of+Rocks+and+Rockhound+SP+050.JPG


City+of+Rocks+and+Rockhound+SP+119.JPG


City+of+Rocks+and+Rockhound+SP+137.JPG


More pictures to come.
 

cwolfman13

Super Active Member
Feb 9, 2011
3,220
Looks great bearman! It's been ages since I've been to City of Rocks; I'll have to add it to the list...maybe a late season trip this year if DW is feeling up to it with a newborn. I wish it wasn't so danged far away though!
 

nancyanddan

Super Active Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,490
What a cool place! We'll have to put it on our list of camping places. [8D]

... and I see you have a Chinese Crested? Don't see too many of those little guys around.
 

bearman512

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2010
1,229
Albuquerque NM
cwolfman13 said:
Looks great bearman! It's been ages since I've been to City of Rocks; I'll have to add it to the list...maybe a late season trip this year if DW is feeling up to it with a newborn. I wish it wasn't so danged far away though!


We will definitely be heading back in the fall. When were there it was starting to get warm in the afternoon but if you get in the shade from the rocks or a tree it was almost cold.


nancyanddan said:
What a cool place! We'll have to put it on our list of camping places. [8D]

... and I see you have a Chinese Crested? Don't see too many of those little guys around.


His name is Ozzy and boy does he have an attitude, as you can see in the picture.
City of Rocks was one of the most siren places we have been to and although there where quite a few people camped there all the camping spaces are spread out and there are large rocks separating each one.
On Friday and Saturday afternoons they have a sun viewing telescope for viewing the sun and in the evenings they have star viewing with the parks resident astrology volunteer.
Both DW and I regained that yen and yang we had lost over the last year of school and work.
 

penny

Super Active Member
Nov 9, 2017
766
We love city of rocks. One of our favorite winter spots. Sometimes we camp there then on to Mimbres valley and lake Roberts. A nice loop!
 




Top