No 12 v power

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Butchsaint, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Canadian Campers

Canadian Campers New Member

I purchased a 2000 Coleman Fleetwood, but that doesn't matter, I have the same issue as you. A few hours after an electrical storm, during which the trailer was plugged in, I had the lights on for maybe 5 minutes, then a scream like a whistle and a big pop and then no 12 volt power to the lights or the CO2 sensor. I checked the fuses and they were good. I checked the converter for other issues and found it smelled of toasted electronics.

I had no 12 volt battery, so later with a battery hooked up, the lights and CO2 sensor work, so I can deduct that the converter is gone, as I assume could be wrong with yours as well.

I haven't decided what to do to repair, but if I can order a new unit for under $200, I think that's the best bet.

Maybe you should test the 12 volt system with a battery as I did, to confirm it works.

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

The converter itself was blown. Thus you had no DC power when plugged in but had it when connected to a battery which doesn't use the converter.

You can get a WFCO replacement for about $125 or perhaps less if you shop around. I put an 8740 in both my 99 Palomino and my current 98 Coleman. It's not a hard job.

Oh and by the way it's not a CO2 detector. Most likely it's a propane detector that might be a combo CO unit. There is a big difference between Carbon dioxide (CO2) and Carbon monoxide (CO) ;)

Fless likes this.