No Bill of Sale

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by jayconj, Mar 8, 2011.

1. jayconj

jayconj New Member

Hi Folks,
    A bad choice has come back to haunt me. Four years ago I purchased my 1994 Jayco from a private seller in PA. I did not get a bill of sale or a title, since I had no plans to put it on the road. Since I was using it as a stationary trailer, I never registered it. She had owned it for three years and never registered it, either.

Now, that I DO want to put it on the road, I have no proof of ownership.

I can't register it as a Homemade in NJ, since it's clearly not homemade. NJ has no bonded title process.

Other than trying to track the seller down, do I have any options? Anyone know of a more liberal state you can get a title from, so I can, in turn, register it in NJ?

I live in NJ and the trailer is in PA.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Do you remember the sellers name? Shouldn't be too hard to track down...or not.With the VIN the state where you bought it can do a title search for a small fee. They can track him down(assuming it was registered in that state) a bill of sale is a pretty simple item to create. I'm not saying you should just fake one but if you legitimately purchased it from the rightful owner and there were no liens against it... The states around me require pictures for home built trailers.

3. ballard

ballard New Member

nonconventional Vehicles in New Jersey

Trailers

Trailers under 2,500 pounds, including trailers, semi-trailers, and pop-up campers, are also considered non-conventional and do not require titles, although you must still register them with the state.

Non-conventional vehicles

A non-conventional vehicle is one that is not primarily used for transporting people or property and is only incidentally operated or moved over public roads.

* The following is a list of non-conventional vehicles that must be registered but are exempt from titling:
    o Trailers & Semi-Trailers (Under 2,500 lbs.)
    o Bogies
    o Farm tractors (Under 1,500 lbs.)
    o Snowmobiles and ATVs
    o Boat trailers (Under 2,500 lbs.)
    [size=14pt]o Folding Tent (pop-up) Trailers.[/size]
    o Mobile construction field offices
    o Jet Skis
    * Non-conventional vehicles exempt from titling and registration:
    o Ditch diggers
    o Finishing machine
    o Road construction equipment
    o Motor spreaders
    o Motorized wheelchairs
    o Bituminous mixers
    o Loaders
    o Farm equipment (under 1,500 lbs)
    o Ditchers
    o All industrial equipment
    o Level graders
    o Go-carts
    o Road rollers
    o Gas buggies
    o Scarifiers
    o Golf carts
    o Earth movers
    o Grooming machine (Ski-slope grooming)
    o Commercial or hauling trailers that weigh less than 2,500 lbs. (must be registered, but not titled)

4. ballard

ballard New Member

followup post:

so based on the above, you dont need a title, just a bill of sale, that with a little ingenuity should be no problem -wink wink---

5. theraceshop

theraceshop Belchertown, MA

I thought you didn't need a title. In Mass we don't ether.
    Reminds me of my registration I forgot the bill of sale on the sellers bench and it was 2hr ride and the registry closed in 1hr. Girl behind the desk smiled and told me to go outside and get it out of the car and gave me a form letter of a bill of sale and a pen also a little :wink: Came back in she did her thing and biff bang boom registered!

6. jayconj

jayconj New Member

Correct, I need a bill of sale, and so far as I know, it has never had a title in any state.

"Ingenuity" indeed. NOW I realize what the lady from DMV meant when she said "any old handwritten bill of sale" was fine. [;)]

Thanks guys!!
    Bill

7. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I had a utility trailer with no title that I wanted to register in PA. PA is a PIA when it comes to trailer registration. So I had my Dad register it in NJ with a "bill of sale" :wink: and then he "sold it" to me and I was able to register it in PA easy with just the NJ registration since it didn't need a title in NJ.

As long as the trailer isn't stolen, you have nothing to worry about.

I think there are alot of winks in this thread :wink: if you know what I mean :wink:

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Good luck with getting it registered. The NJ DMV can be a pain it the you know what.

9. jjsul

jjsul New Member

In plain english write out or type out a bill of sale from the former owner to you list all the pertinent id stuff I'm not telling you to sign the sellers name, but everyone else has in one way or another. GET 'ER DONE.

10. dfab

dfab New Member

The last time something like this was posted I gave a suggestion and then had my post removed and was contacted buy the moderater. USE CAUTION.

11. silvermickey2002

The problem I am running into is that the Boy Scout troop utility trailer is registered, but the guy who registered it is now out of the country for a long time and his mail is not being forwarded. I went to the DMV just to try to renew it and they gave me a hard time saying either the guy who registered it must come in or get a Letter Of Authority from him so I can renew the registration. I even explained the situation and they told me that's life!!!

Just saying make sure all the documentation you get satisfies the DMV.

12. jayconj

jayconj New Member

We all understand now, Thank you! I don't want to get anyone in trouble, so lets stop here. Your help is sincerely appreciated.
    Bill

13. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

MVD sucks....at least here in NM...by the time you've actually accomplished anything, you have jumped through so many hoops that you feel like you've auditioned for cirque du soleil.

A few years back I bought a junked '68 VW Kombi Van....actually didn't buy it, I asked the guy what he wanted for it and basically told me he would pay me to take it off his property. Needless to say, no title....we did do up a bill of sale and I put "gift" in the amount box. When I went to register it, they said I needed an "affidavit of gift" with the "gifters" signature and notorized and my signature and notorized. Big hastle, so I just redid the BOS [;)]

When I took that in....with $1 in the amount box they asked me if I had a title to go along with the BOS. I explained that there was no title....it was a '68 junker that was sitting in this guys yard for probably 2 decades at least....I'm sure the title went the way of the winds long ago. Because there was no title, they had to do a search to see if it was stolen.....well, I guess in those days, the VIN was etched into the metal dash or something....which had been replaced so I had no VIN that I could find. So, I then had to tow the VW to the nearest State Police Station for them to look over the vehicle and they ran it against God knows what to determine that indeed I could title and register the van in my name. So, something like 2 months after I got the van....I finally got it registered....but had to pay a late fee because after jumping through all the hoops, the 30 days had expired from the date of sale on the BOS.

14. jayconj

jayconj New Member

There IS a procedure for getting a title with no proof of ownership, in NJ. It involves putting a public notice in the paper 3 times, sending a registered letter to the previous owner, getting 3 notarized letters from character witnesses, saying they personally know you and know this to be your vehicle, take it to a mechanic to check the VIN plate, photographs of every angle, a pencil etching of the VIN Plate, all of the above presented to the local police, for review, then all of it notarized, THEN send it off to the state.

The procedure for homemade trailers is equally ridiculous. It includes showing receipts that you paid sales tax on the materials you used, proof of ownership from any trailers you used for parts, taking it to a mechanic, a weigh station, the police, and the local witch doctor...okay I made that last one up.

And they wonder everyone wants to move out of NJ?

15. silvermickey2002

Could not agree with you more!!

16. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Joe sold Mike a xxxxxxxxx trailer, Vin xxxxxxxxx on 3/8/2011 for $50. Signed Joe.

That is the only thing NJ needs and they will hand you a tag. I got one of my trailers registered this way and my bro got his 2 trailers registered this way.

I left NJ, but I have had more hassles with PA DMV and vehicle inspection than I ever did in NJ.

17. greatlakers

greatlakers New Member

ANOTHER idea,
    Is to go into the secretary of state (DMV) with the VIN (usually found on the tongue) and tell them the story. Then, tell them that you want to title it as an abandoned vehicle. They should just have to do a search to declare that it isn't reported stolen. All legal, no winking.
    Just an idea.

18. theraceshop

theraceshop Belchertown, MA

I got the solution put it in your backyard take a gallon of gas @3.50 pour it over it. Grab yourself a pack of hot dogs and a stick and burn the sucker. Then go to your computer look at this camper http://cnj.craigslist.org/rvs/2251012914.html
    Pull the trigger on it. Pain in the A@@ situation done!!! [}:)] [}:)] [LOL]