No category for "Feel sorry for us"

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by yogi, Sep 6, 2010.

1. yogi

yogi New Member

I'm sitting here in the hospital on day 4 with my daughter. Thank god for lap tops and the portal. Found out Thursday (The day before our camping trip for the Labor day weekend), that our daughters shortness of breath was not asthma, but a build up of fluid between her lung and rib cage, caused by scaring from her radiation treatment for her cancer. They drained 3 liters of fluid out during the last 4 days (and 3 nights). She was given the "all is good" from her CT scan on the 9th of August and was looking forward to staying at home alone with a friend while mom and dad went camping ( she is 16). Needless to say, she has been very angry and scared, tired of being unable to move around at all, because she is hooked to a pump. She had a chest x-ray last night and we are waiting for the doctor to look at it and say we can go home. We miss our beds and both our backs are hurting like heck from sleeping on these uncomfortable beds and couches.

OK, I'm done whining and am greatfull we didn't let her talk us into leaving for our trip. She is a trooper and she really wants to get back to school after being unable to attend since last March. [;)]

2. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

Best wishes to all of you. I can't imagine having to watch my son go through that. You guys have a special strength.

3. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

It's always harder to watch a loved one, especially your child, go through such trama - I'd rather it be me!

The camper and the campground will wait. My best wishes.

4. wardog

wardog Member

I can't imagine going through what you and your family are going through. I hope you get good news from the doctor today. There is plenty of time for camping later.

5. ak_nd

ak_nd New Member

Hang in there! Kids come first, camping later. Your priorities and heart is in the right place. I am impressed you have a hospital with internet access - beats the campground we sat in for 4 days in rain!

Prayers are with you all. Chin up! And if your web surfing finds out some interest tidbits, do share!

6. kentuckyrascal

kentuckyrascal Member

Yogi, My heart and prayers are with u and family during this journey of the fight against cancer. It is hard riding the emotional hi's and lows of this disease. As the main caregiver of my daughter with a young family understand both sides. Your daughters fight in just wanting to be normal again and do what her friends r doing. And the parent who wants their child to grow up and be happy and healthy. Yes the camping can wait, but sometimes u do what the child wants and go with the moment cause we may only have the moments to treasure. My daughter lost her battle, but she put up a gr8 fight to the end. I draw from the courage and strength that she had up to the end.

7. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

Yogi,
    prayers for your daughter and family...Hopefully this will start a prayer chain...Jesus does hold us in His arms..

8. yogi

yogi New Member

First off, thank you everyone and I honestly didn't want anyone feeling sorry for us, it was just one of those venting moments. kentuckyrascal, I am so deeply sorry for your loss and I couldn't even imagine how you feel.

We do know that we are very lucky so far, and it could be a lot worse. Our stay in the hospital in so minimal compared to so many others, but at that moment when you are there, it seems to be forever.

We got to come home Monday morning, her x-ray showed that the stint pulled out a bit, which left about 10 ounces of fluid in her. Compared to the more than 3 liters that she had pumped out, it is a very small amount left. The doctor said that hopefully her body can absorb it and the scaring on her lung can heal.

As is normal for me, I procrastinated on school shopping and the fact that our school district had to cut 10 days from the school year due to budget cuts, she doesn't start school until tomorrow (Wednesday), which gives us an extra day to shop. So, all is good and we will begin a whole new year with fingers crossed and prayers in our hearts. Thanks again for the well wishes, and we are ready to rock!! :)