No Factory Battery Setup?

Keith-n-TonyaS

Sep 20, 2022
I purchased a used Jayco popup, I believe to be a 1206 model, guessing mid 90's. I bought the unit to keep on our lake lot. the gentleman we bought it from used it for the same purpose and did not have a title. I have searched all thru the camper and cannot find a area that might have been used for the battery or battery hookups. Was a battery set up optional on some of these models? It seems to have nice options like bathroom/shower, seems strange not to have a battery system to run the 12 volt lights/fridge. Everything works fine when plugged in to Shore Power. I would like to install a battery for back up. Is there anything I need to do to the power box to accommodate this? I am thinking as far as hooking the battery into the existing power box. Nothing is labeled in the box and I am not sure the box is even set up to have a battery backup system.

Keith-n-TonyaS

Sep 20, 2022
Pics would help.
If it has a converter it had a battery. Usually on the tongue.
Does it have brakes?
It has surge brakes. I have had pop ups before, never seen one without some type of battery hookup. there is nothing on tongue except the 2 propane tanks. doesn't even look like there was ever a place for a battery like my other campers.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I had to add wiring for a popup with no battery (and it had a converter, 3-way fridge, and electric brakes so I got to add a breakaway switch as well). But it was a mid-70s model.

I assume you checked all the interior compartments for possible former locations? There would be a vent (you'd hope)...

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
One guy I knew laid a piece of plywood across the rack beside the propane cyl and placed his battery there. You can also make your own rack with short pieces of angle attached to the frame in front of the propane cyl, either welded, rivited or with self tapping bolts.

Unwrap the tape on the wire bundle in the drivers side of the A frame and you'll find a loose wire, probably red, maybe black. It may even have a ring eye terminator and an inline fuse holder, if not you'll need to add those. You'll need to add a wire from the battery negative to the frame, just use the bolt where the white wire from the trailer light wiring is connected.

bupkis

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
I'd look on the back of the power center (the side behind the fuses).
Look for a red batt + wire (in/out). Often the red is just a few inches and changes to a different color.
Trace it to the front where it should be part of the wires that connect to the towing vehicle.
One can splice into this 'charge line' for batt +.

My ole '96 coachmen was wired like this with a circuit breaker near the batt + terminal, spliced into the 'charge line', ring terminals, heat shrink ...

batt-1.jpg

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
The battery would have sat on the tray next to the propane. Check the tongue for wires that lead back to the converter. I personally would replace the converter with a new model, they can be had for about $125 and are not hard to wire up.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
The battery would have sat on the tray next to the propane. Check the tongue for wires that lead back to the converter. I personally would replace the converter with a new model, they can be had for about $125 and are not hard to wire up.
Yeah, from the pic it looks like the old one is itching to catch fire.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I had an old 1990 Jayco 1006 that also didn’t have wires for a battery. I was told some other units had them in the bench seat But not all were wired. Then again on mine the only amenity it had was a stove and sink with manual pump handle. It had a worthless icebox that couldn’t hold ice. So I guess the manufacturer figured why bother put wirers for a battery for just lights.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
If you have electricity then a battery is not worth the trouble. For back up power buy a little power station like the
or just so stick up led lights.

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
I would not trust that converter to charge the battery correctly, even if it say's it will. If you keep that converter I would recommend a switch to disconnect the battery when plugged into Shore Power.

rsdata

Oct 3, 2011
N. KY
setup a separate battery for backup power NOT tied to existing converter
maybe a Jackery or similar that will give you 5 & 12VDC and 110VAC
recharge with solar, DC from your tow vehicle or AC Shore Power

if you have some electrical skills, lookup the model number of your converter and find info for it online then test that it will work

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
If you want to charge your battery when plugged into Shore Power ......... Just use a battery charger, plug it into the post outlet or camper outlet. It's not rocket science.