No guns, knives, or ball bats needed with this security item.

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by Mickeyrv, Aug 26, 2013.

1. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

my two little dogs (Pug and Silky ) make enough noise when some one is around

2. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

After reading some posts on trucks, I think that should be a taboo topic too. One minute someones asking advice and the next thing you know it's a brawl about who's truck is better. No guns, religion, politics or trucks. [:D]

neighbormike likes this.
  3. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

I won't camp someplace that I feel I need "protection". I'm there to relax, not worry about being robbed or broken in. [{}=]

Blackripley likes this.
  4. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

I think a good camp dog is the best security. They will alert you to intruders and protect you. I was camping with my girlfriend and our 3 little girls near a larger town and the girls left the back window of our SUV cracked open about 3 1/2 inches (which we didn't notice when we locked the car), just enough for some jerk to reach in and unlock the door. He proceeded to rummage through our stuff and take incidental items, inculding a soft cooler full of hot dogs and s'mores. What a jerk!!!! If we had a dog with us, we would have certainly been woken up. In the meantime, I really like all the suggestions I've read above.

arge likes this.
  5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

i agree with you i too camp in places i feel safe i never really felt the need that. I NEEDED protection however things happen mostly when its unsuspected! So a dog. Weapon or can of wasp spray is better than nothing. In my opinion

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The thing is, Darn, you never really know if you're in a "safe" place or one where you need protection. What is safe tonight may not be tomorrow night. A common thread in all "expert" instructions on how to be safe and defend yourself is this advice: Be aware of your surroundings and the events transpiring. Be prepared. Don't look and act like you're weak and a good victim. These things hold everywhere, all the time: camping, grocery store, on the way to church, the middle of the desert and the middle of Manhattan.

7. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I do not worry too much about campsite security.

Unless it wakes up the guard dog, then she will lick you to death.
    [​IMG]

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Can I just come and play with all your dogs and guns? I miss being able to punch holes in paper.

9. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

If your ever traveling thru Western NC, Drop on in, Got a range here at the house.

10. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I sincerely hope I get the chance to visit that side of the states. So many people I would love to meet.

neighbormike likes this.
  11. BadLarry

BadLarry New Member

when all is said and done.... Id rather be judged by 12 rather than carried by 6

12. Lisa0nly

Lisa0nly Lifelong Camper

Mr. *****, guess it only goes for sitting presidents...hmmmm.

I'm with O_G, wake up our 'guard dog' and he'll lick you / love you to death.

13. ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon Member

IMO camp security or threats will be geographically different from one area to another. Back in Cali were "I" used to live, is varied from place to place. It seem the deeper in the National Forest or BLM Lands Sally & I went whether hunting or just dispersed camping we seemed to stumbled on to old illegal pot grow sites. I always packed a handgun with me & had a dog with us. Outdoor activity like camping should be relaxing, whole idea "for me" was to get a way from lifes stress & chaos & reconnect with mother nature. But always had that uneasy on guard feeling their too, that something bad could happen with all these old deserted sites.

Since I moved to Arkansas almost 20 yrs ago the threat or on guard feeling doesn't seem to be their anymore whether hunting in bear country or just dispersed camping in the Ozarks. I still carry a firearm "legally" & have a dog with us but that feeling of uneasiness or signs illegal activity doesn't exist here either.
    I know some states are experiencing homelessness camps in their National Forest or public lands are growing IMO this could is a high probability of security & threat. I was reading that Cali & CO. were having a huge problem with this. My overlanding buddies from the west are tell me they are coming up on burned out stolen vehicles on BLM, National Forest lands further out than usual.
    Whether a firearm isn't your cup of tea, one thing is our society has changed & threats domestically are more than ever now. It doesn't matter were your from or were your going, family & yourself needs to have some form of protection from the evil doer's.

14. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Mine are not guard dogs, but they are watch dogs which is the way I prefer it. They inform, I act and since I have carried a weapon for over 40 years, you can bet there is one with me where ever I go.....:eek:
    [​IMG]

15. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I am more afraid of people than any animal because Dangerous people are everywhere you go and nothing you can do will guarantee that they wont bother you or your family. I live by the old Boy Scout motto Be prepared. Carry On Be Safe.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    neighbormike, f5moab and Customer like this.
  16. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I carry the UDAP Bear Spray when hiking ... Comes with a belt holder... Good for up to 30-feet. Most Rangers carry this brand...

I know it works good on bears - haven't tried it yet for humans... Should give you enough time to go unlock something bigger...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I never really worry about thieves etc. or animals here in Fl. Animals are usually coons, There are places with wild hogs that can be dangerous, we have 3 1/2 Chihuahuas that keep us informed (acting as our burglar alarms) I also legally carry protection but have never needed it except during hunting season.

18. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Have camped in most states for 50+ years and have fortunately never felt threatened.

Although, I did have a tug of war with a skunk 25+ years ago, over a trash bag that was inside my screen house in Shenandoah NP. Fortunately no shots were fired. ;)

19. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Luck was with you, our dogs used to get sprayed every once in a while, not good, luckily I had a dog box in the back for them to ride in, and no in the house visits for quite awhile, they say that tomato juice will kill the smell, here is what I found out, do not use it on the dogs, make a big jug of bloody mary's and the smell will not be noticed by you AFTER you pass out :)
    We used to go to Paynes Prairie SP.regularly to try our new backpacking gear, every time we came to a certain point in the trail a skunk would run across the trail, first time my Grandson started to chase after him, I grabbed him by the belt and told him to leave the skunk alone and stay away from it, I explained that that little 2 lb skunk would make a 300 lb bear step aside and let him pass.

neighbormike likes this.
  20. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

We bring bear spray with us camping and hiking (for bears) but I cannot over state the importance of situational awareness, picking a good site, and knowing what the local risks are. Depending on where we are camping we bring our mid size dog Opie (the crazy), and sometimes we will stake out solar lights around the site. I do carry a pocket knife 24/7 in my pocket, and a large fixed blade when camping or hiking in the brush, as tools but they make poor devices terms of security and safety.