No interior lights

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Samuel T, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

Hello all. First off this is my first post. Last year I bought a 96 Viking. Needed a new roof and took on the task. As of now the Roof is built, took out old lights(2 of them) and installed three LED’s. It’s been about 7 months now and just this weekend have picked up where I left off.
    So here lies my problem. If I hook up the lights direct to batt(12v) they work. Checked to make sure I wired those correctly. When I hook them up to the trailer wires provided for lighting (front drivers corner) they barely come on. So dim I didn’t notice it at first. I Read some old post trying to troubleshoot on my own. I checked my safety switch at galley. It seems to be working. I also bypassed it with same results. Checked My fuse, its good. I’m not too great with a multimeter but put it on the blue wire if I remember correctly coming out of converter. It looks like it feeds the safety switch. It Shows less than 12v. Is it just not getting enough power? Also I’ve noticed things are only getting power with toggle switch to converter. Switched to battery or off, nothing. I am not plugged into (shoreline) I believe is what you call power coming from outside. God I hope that’s clear. Lol. I’m confusing myself.

Attached Files:

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota.

Although I don't have an answer for you, you have come to the right place. I'm confident your answer is coming soon.

Samuel T likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Welcome from southern Connecticut.
    Using a muiltmeter is pretty easy. Get a battery....... any battery ........AAA to car battery...... hook the meter wires to it and watch the meter ....if the meter goes backwards or - , switch the meter leads. This is the voltage of the battery. The battery wiring is white to negative post. Black to the positive post its powers the trailer. Start at the trailer battery, right at the posts, if good (12v) move the meter lead that is connected to the negative post to the metal trailer frame, should read about the same. The wire on the positive post (black usually, sometimes red) may have fuse holder or circuit breaker inline, check from 12v on the far side of them. If OK go to Convertor wires, the RED should be coming from the battery and white is negative (ground) cut the red and check there. If Ok I would feed the blue wire directly with the red wire, check the voltage at the safety switch then onto the lights. If not OK move the lead on the wire wire to the metal frame or maybe the metal convertor housing and recheck. The ground is as important as the feed wire.
    You have to check how much voltage you are getting to the lights and that the lights have the correct positive to positive connections. LEDs usually don't work if the polarity is reversed. So pull down the both lights and check for the roof wire that is "live" 12volts, and connect 1 light to the wiring. If it doesn't work, switch the wires. Once you get i light to work correctly move onto the second one.

Sorry for the long post ...... but take baby steps ......... battery, red and white wires going to convertor, voltage to lights and light polarity. GOOD LUCK don't give up and please post what you first to help the next camper.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  4. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

2B58297D-69F3-43CC-B1FE-6A7F8177A26B.jpeg DE3BD99C-C775-4765-A169-1DA7F56809FF.jpeg ED3045E8-40BF-466D-8EA9-E02328D5FB8E.jpeg D2392572-CBE4-4E65-8ABE-4BB0F45710A4.jpeg OMG! Lol. Not sure if I’m mad or happy. Ok. So I went out to check what you replied.
    12.10v @battery (red to pos term and black to neg)
    12.10v (w/red on pos term and black to frame.)
    Unhooked red and orange@converter
    12.10v @RED wire from converter
    Unhooked blue and 2 black wires (one to safety switch and one to heater I think.)
    12.10 v @blue. :/ it wasn’t earlier I swear. So I jump blue to lights and BAM! They work. Hook everything back the way it was and BAM! They still work. Tomorrow I’m going to cut off all the old ends and reconnect with new and better connectors. So my lights work now. So next question is. Should they only be working when converter toggled to converter? I’d should things be powered up with toggle switched to batt on converter?

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If you convertor has a battery/off/conv switch it usually doesn't have a battery charging circuit. When switch is off .......... 12 volt stuff on camper is dead ......... battery, 12 volt stuff is powered from battery only, Conv 12 volt stuff powered by convertor when the trailer is plugged into shore power. Your switch maybe wired wrong or just upside down.

Samuel T likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Glad you are seeing the light lol

7. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

Well, back to the drawing board. Tried plugging in the vent fan and when I turned it on my Lights went out. I unplugged my fan all together and now my LED interior lights barely come on. Gotta be a bad connection somewhere. I plugged in to shore power and the lights work fine with the converter on. But in battery mode the lights are so dim they look to be off. :(

8. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

[%]Ok so let me tell everyone I found my problem and have it fixed. Thanks for the help that I received. It helped so much. And Who knew my 90% blind old man senior neighbor across the street is an RV guru. So when I switched the converter to battery all my wires ends were lighting up with the test light. 12V @the batt, 12V @the converter, and 12V passed the converter @the wires going up the corner to the roof. However when I turn the lights on I wasn’t getting anything. After hours and hours and three days worth of testing the same stupid wires, they went from not working to working back to not working. This morning the old man came over and helped me out. We re-tested all the lines and seemed to be ok. We founda problem at the converter. We took the converter out of the equation and ran lines directly from battery. Thinking the converter might be the problem. The lights worked. He then hooked the converter back up and bypassed the safety switch and took out the furnace wires. He hooked up just the old power wire from the batt to converter and we had a problem again. We could then see the lights barely showing that they were on. At this point he thinks the orange power wire is our culprit. We ran a new wire loose through the rig from batt to converter and voila! Somewhere down my orange wire was a problem. I was getting volts(why the tester lit up) but wasn’t getting amps. As soon as a load was put on, the lights weren’t working properly. So long story short. He went to go watch nascar and I re-ran a new fuse and power wire from battery and down the rig and up to the converter. I know have the power converter working with toggle in converter and or battery mode. Inspection of the old orange wire I noticed two spots where a test light had been poked through insulation and was swollen from corrosion and a section that looked to have been pintched. Looked like it was cut most the way through. Here it is!
    53D99A51-5AF7-4773-8639-694C323C8BFC.jpeg 35B1C585-9E5C-4876-B0B0-A3B1C01554AE.jpeg 0A74E97A-979C-4499-885F-1278A039FF31.jpeg

9. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Glad you found the problem...looks like the PO was a more than a bit ham-handed with the test light

Samuel T likes this.
  10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Some problems will, at times try your patience (me anyway) I found out to walk away for awhile and let my thoughts (and temper) settle down and usually the light comes on. Glad you found the problem and got it repaired. Good part is You learned where the wiring goes too. Good Luck and happy camping

11. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

Yes I did learn. It’s hard to follow other threads. Seams like so many of them come on to ask questions but never come back with what the answer was.

12. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I tried to use space heaters in my camper, but the plugs didn't work. When I plugged the extension cord to the outside plug, the roof lights came on. I don't have a battery, so couldn't try that. So I'm sure my problem lies in all the converter connections. I hope that is an easy fix.