No kitchen? No problem!

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dbhost, Mar 11, 2021.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Yeah, gear selection appropriate to the environment.

I am a bit surprised that the screens block that much of the breeze.

I have the 9x13 Ozark Trail screen house that effectively doesn't do anything for stopping a breeze or even slowing it down. Probably a different grade of screen...

It should be noted that there is a trade off between heat gain and cooling. I.E. the shade walls help a great deal to reduce heat gain, but do not help with cooling via breezes. I do use the Pagoda style canopy though that vents heat well through the, well, uh, Golf Umbrella style roof vent, and breezes tend to flow gently above the shade walls, and under the eaves as it were. There is enough of space that there is reasonable, although restricted air movement, If you can orient the canopy to catch the prevailing breezes, you can actually set up the shade walls to actually funnel the breeze straight through the kitchen which is super nice in the summer, unless of course the prevailing breeze is 96 deg F at 90% Relative humidity. At which time, there is NO WAY I am cooking a hot meal. I might plug in a blender and make a smoothie instead!

Yes the EZ Up is massively heavier, and MUCH bulkier to pack than the Ozark Trail screen house, but it also gives me a much better shade coverage, a variety of options. Screens or not, shade walls nor not. The 9x13 is more like 8x10 roof.

I haven't used that screen house in years. Literally. And probably won't unless we are going with a group where we need the space under the EZ Up for larger dining area and can figure out how to provide more shade. I have no issues with using shade cloth to get that done.

2. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

We use a 10x10 easy up canopy and drag the campground picnic table under it.
    We have a fold up table with the cavas shelves that hang down for cooking items that sit outside the camper.
    We just use the grill for most of our cooking and the can cooker for soups etc ( mostly in cooler weather).
    We arent big breakfast eaters so cereal and pre made breakfast burritos make up that part.
    We wrap them in foil and heat them right on the fire.
    We just use a wash tub with soapy water and pack a 6 gal jug of water for dishes and and hand washing and water for the dogs.
    Our drinking water is bottled water.
    We have never used our sink in the camper..we have a cutting board with velcro on top of it and use it for storage and extra counter space.
    Our stove only gets used for boiling corn on the cob once in awhile.
    We never eat inside unless its raining or the bugs are real bad or its super hot out and we wanna sit in the AC while eating.
    I am switching to a gas grill over charcoal for convenience due to everyone we camp with in our group have gas and we all eat together i always have to let the charcoal burn down ahead of time And if u want a hot dog or something between meals you have to start the charcoal back up and wait.
    I got the grill for Christmas and havent used it yet so im lookin forward to it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  3. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

HMMMMM, My mom a farm girl that grew up with 9 siblings out of Oakdale La in a log house with a cast iron wood stove was a twin sister the oldest girls was born in 1915 was barely 14 when black Friday hit in 1929 never saw a gas stove until she came to Galveston Tx. looking for work in 1942 during the war. Her and her sister were in charge of all the cooking for the family. She said the stove did have an oven. I have no idea of how they regulated the heat, I know they made yeast rolls or cornbread every meal, I am sure the did not have an oven thermometer. or any sort of timer. I doubt that Betty Crocker could have cooked back in those days. I have had no problems using a Dutch oven by counting briquettes and rotating them with a timer. It is amazingly simple if one pays attention. MY mom always harped on you can't cook out of the kitchen. She was always modifying a recipe if she thought it had to much of this and not enough of that. We would be somewhere and some lady brought a nice dish of whatever and mom would have to have a copy of the recipe. When would start to make she would look over it over and say that's too much sugar that needs more water and less milk, I like more yeast. Then when it was finished she would say something like Well this good but it just don't taste like aunt Sue's and I am thinking to my self NS mom. Thinking not to be confused with saying.

Susan Premo likes this.
  4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

LOL. I am considerably younger than your Mom obviously, however my parents divorced in the 80s and we stayed with my aunt and uncle in Oregon with a wood stove. We cooked on that thing and I learned to bake bread and rolls in it... It had a through the oven door thermometer that kind of looks like the ones I use in the lids of my Weber BBQ kettles, although I am certain back then it wasn't Chinese made junk...

Dutch Oven bakery came about after my ex and I split up and I had time to camp with friends and our common friends Jack and of course the Captain... :)

Nothing quite like a group of 20 or so recently re-singled folks, most of which are single parents, taking a long weekend to mingle, Cheap roasts were easy peasy in the DO along with gravy and grilled veggies and everyone was happy. Okay except for the veggie hating kids.

Didn't catch who brought up the campground picnic table, but yeah, they work great under an EZ Up, and you really should consider if one will be available where you are going when you load up. I'd rather use them than my roll up tables just to save the space and setup time.

A LOT Of campgrounds though have their picnic tables secured to the ground, and dpending on where you are, some of them are cast concrete and aren't going anywhere without a heavy forklift. Generally speaking though, the picnic table area seems to be set up with an EZ Up in mind as there is usually a broad very level sometimes paved pad underneath the table.

And I have noticed particularly here in TX, a LOT of parks have the picnic table under a cover / pavillion of sorts which is GREAT for shade and rain protection, LOUSY for wind, and I have found they typically are only big enough for the table and people to get around them, so a separate shelter for kitchen is needed. In those cases, a tarp rig with extendable poles attached to the pavillion really helps open the space up, and a good reason why I have the big poly tarps I do!

I've seen more than my fair share of folks that can manage to set up a proper patrol fly with a poly tarp, some poles, rope and stakes. I am totally jealous of them. My tarp fu is nowhere near that strong. I need at least 2 strong permanent attachment points like trees to string a ridgeline across and then I am good to go... But I digress like I often do...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Susan Premo and Fish N Farm like this.
  5. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Active Member

Inside stove gets used just to boil water. We use the sink to wash dishes, so we heat water for that and for our French press coffee. And tea. Everything else gets cooked outside on our Coleman stove, which lives on the end of the provided picnic table. If it’s raining, we move the one end under the awning. I love the smell of bacon and eggs wafting through our campsite in the morning, but NOT inside the camper. We have one pot that we use to heat/cook things on the Coleman. All meals are made and frozen way ahead of time (we could go camping at any given time and grab at least a weeks worth of meals from the freezer). All other food (salads, etc) get prepped at home in the days leading up to our trip. Oh, and if the meal plan calls for baking (pizza, nachos), I will bring the toaster oven and use that outside aside as well.

Fish N Farm likes this.
  6. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

2E3C51B1-3652-4DA5-BCE9-3DC52C87C93A.jpeg Chuckbox KISS

firepit and Susan Premo like this.
  7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

That reminds me of when our neighbor called during a power outage asking for a ride to work. We had to explain how garage doors can be opened manually. :)

Our popup has a 3 burner stove with oven and a 2 burner stove on the side that flops out. We use both, often at the same time. We set up a folding table outside by the flopout stove.

Our truck camper has a 2 burner stove and we also sometimes set up a 2-burner propane stove on the picnic table.

We eat inside, we eat outside, we follow local bear rules. Bears is everywhere. California is the Bear State.

eoleson1, Susan Premo and firepit like this.
  8. firepit

I am crossing over to a gas grill this year...But I wont totally retire the can cooker or charcoal grill.

Attached Files:

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

And while not the most extreme on this thread, here is the opposite end approach to that. I present to you the not quite, but pretty close to complete camp kitchen inventory... I am pretty sure I have mentioned this in the past, but in years past when I was single, I was the guy that for some unkown reason people would gift with various camping gear that I would then in turn use as a sort of makeshift outfitter for the singles camping group I was involved with back then. I literally would bring the kitchen, or at least half of it, for no less than 20 single adults and their kids for mingle weekends. I would have loaner tents, air mattresses and the like for folks not equipped at all. I would not provide any bedding though. That's on you... Anyway so there is a reason for the insane quantity of gear here... And I do still act as an outfitter, but now it is for extended family trips that we try to do at least 2 large camping / fishing trips each year...

Camp Kitchen / Dining equipment list. This isn’t everything, but all I could think of. It should be obvious that not all this goes into one trip. Some is backpacking gear, some is light out of the car gear, some is car glamping gear, and some is PUP specific gear.

• EZ Up Pagoda 13x13 instant set canopy.

• Camco 9x12 RV outdoor mat

• 2 @ Ozark Trail shade wall with pockets. (Trash bags and LOTS of storage)

• Ozark Trail 9x13 screen house.

• 2 @ 12x24 Silver / brown reversible poly tarps.

• Cabelas Deluxe Campers Kitchen.

• Coleman PackAway Camp Kitchen.

• Coleman fold up double wash basin.

• 2 @ 27x55” Winado roll top aluminum camp tables.

• 2 @ Walmart wooden folding TV trays.

• 4 @ Reliance AquaTainers.

• Camco potable water hose, inline filter, flex adapter, pressure regulator and 90 degree adapter.

• First Need pumping water filter.

• 2 @ 5 gallon buckets with Gamma Seal Lids to use as pest resistant camper pantries.

• Texsport 6pc stainless steel family cookware set with custom replacement stuff sack.

• American Camper 4pc cook set. Technically 6pc, 8” Skillet, 3QT cook pot, 2QT cook pot with matching lids, and 1 cup plastic graduated measuring cup. All cook pots / lids stainless steel with swing open plastic coated metal handles in a stuff sack.

• Evernew Titanium 1.3L ultralight series cook pot

• 2 @ REI Ti Ware Series Sierra Cup.

• 2 @ unknown MFG stainless steel Sierra Cups.

• 2 @ Ozark Trail pocket knife cutlery sets. Knife, fork spoon etc...

• Outdoor Gourmet 10” cast iron Skillet with Amazon Basics Silicone handle cover.

• Outdoor Gourmet double sided cast iron griddle.

• Outdoor Gourmet 8qt 12” Cast Iron camp dutch oven.

• Outdoor Gourmet dutch oven lid lifter.

• Lodge 8” cast iron meat rack / dutch oven trivet.

• Ozark Trail 5qt cast iron dutch oven.

• Ozark Trail 12” cast iron skillet with Amazon Basics Silicone handle cover.

• Ozark Trail 2qt cast iron bean pot

• Ozark Trail 12 cup stainless steel percolator retrofitted with a Fitz All glass percolator top.

• 2 @ Coghlans cast iron pie irons.

• 6 @ Coleman extendible camp fire cooking forks 2 pack.

• Ikea Grunka 4pc stainless steel kitchen gadget set.
      • Spatula

• large spoon

• Ladle

• pasta claw thingy. If anyone knows what these are called let me know!
    • 17” Stainless Steel BBQ tongs.

• Continuous coil grill brush.

• Swing A Way can and bottle opener.

• Dollar Store kitchen items…
      • paper towel stand

• stainless steel potato masher

• silicone whisk

• silicone scraper

• measuring cups

• measuring spoons

• 9x9” square cake pan

• 9” round cake pan

• 9” pie pan

• muffin pan

• loaf pan

• condiment bottles

• salt & pepper shakers

• 6 @ dish towels. 2 to use as dish towels, 4 to use as placemats.

• hot pads

• 2 @ scrubber dish rags
    • Stainless Steel milk frother.

• GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip pour over coffee maker.

• Coleman Stove Top Drip Coffee Maker with Coleman QuickPot stainless steel carafe, Coleman zippered soft case, and permanent stainless steel mesh filter.

• 2 @ Stansport Blue enamel steel 24pc serviceware set. 4 each plates, bowls, mugs, knives, forks and spoons with custom stuff sacks.

• 4 @ 40oz stainless steel vacuum tumblers. (Kodiak brand I believe, they came from our closest Buccees gas station / general merch store).

• 2 @ Ozark Trail Insulated stainless steel half gallon drink thermos things. 1 for coffee, 1 for tea.

• Stainless steel mixing bowl with lid set.

• Dawn dish soap. Not the stuff with bleach. Rumor has it this stuff is watershed safe so capturing gray water isn’t crucial.

• SOS pads because the stainless steel stuff likes having stuff stick on in a small square plastic food container.

• Plastic pan scrapers because we simply do NOT wash cast iron in soapy water. I have a bunch of these not sure where to get them other than the grocery store.

• Coleman 424 Dual Fuel liquid fuel stove with propane adapter if needed.

• Coleman 425 White gas liquid fuel stove with propane adapter if needed.

• Coleman Classic 2 burner propane stove.

• Century MFG bottle top 1 burner propane stove.

• Coleman Expnent F1 Ultralight Butane canister stove.

• Coleman folding stove top camp stove with brand unknown rectangle pizza stone to even heat out. PENDING I will be making a welding blanket insulator for the top and 3 sides.

• Eversharp Chefs knife set that my wife got as a giveaway for signing up for a Sams Club account LONG ago. Blade guards, and chefs knife roll.

• MFG unknown, but a chop, fold, and pour cutting board.

• Pampered Chef Deluxe BBQ Masters set. Tongs, Spatula, grill cleaner, kabob skewers, injector, Meat thermometer, basting brush and cup, meat gloves.

• Big ol gnarly grocery store corn on the cob skewers, although I have taken to cooking my corn on the cob more like Mexican Elote / street corn, so the stalk makes a nice handle..

• Nutri Ninja bullet blender with blender bottles

• B&D cheapie 2 slice toaster.

• 500w immersion blender, whip, and food processor combo

• 3 Coleman Dual Fuel 2 mantle lanterns. OR…

• 2 Coleman Quickpack 2 mantle propane lanterns AND Trail Tek 2 mantle propane lantern.

• PENDING. Battery operated bluetooth color changing LED rope light. Looking for the 48 footer so I can circle the inside frame of the EZ Up and obviously end up with some extra…

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    firepit likes this.
  10. firepit

That's it?...JK:grin:

kcsa75, Sjm9911, Arruba and 1 other person like this.
  11. firepit

Beer and bait!!...Everything else is a luxury item

kcsa75 likes this.
  12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I haven't looked in the big tote yet. [}:)]

Sjm9911 and firepit like this.
  13. firepit

You sound like my wife when its time to decorate the house for Christmas!...LOL

14. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

We had straight line winds come through, years ago, and no power, we made coffee on our electronic stove , like you said with matches, the neighbor across the street asked where we got the coffee. when I read what you wrote to my husband he started to choke on his beer, literally, hah!

15. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

We got hit with that ice storm / power outage in Feb (Texas). I used my Coleman 424, and 425 to boil water in my percolator and the largest pots that would fit, and made pots of pour over coffee (insulated half gallon thermoses) and full pots using the Coleman Drip pot. I went to the houses down my block and shared hot coffee with the families each direction down.

Coffee is a real blessing when you are shivering in a cold house, or camper...

Susan Premo likes this.
  16. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Coffee ☕️ KISS chuckbox methodologies. No big tote required. Act like a backpacker and camp like a backpacker.

A6E78C06-F4FF-4E13-92A5-E345A0E40A81.jpeg

Fish N Farm and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  17. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I'm pretty basic I guess compared to some people. Camp Chef Everest 2-burner propane stove, Weber Smoky Joe charcoal grill, a cast iron skillet, dutch oven and a couple of smaller stock pots. Also a grill grate that can be used over a firepit. Of course basic utensils to eat, cook and clean with but I can make just about anything with what I bring along.

Fish N Farm likes this.
  18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Tell you what, I really like the coffee that comes out of the Ultralight Java Drip.

I typically as I was trained from restaurant work LONG, LONG ago, and yes I worked in a restaurant that served pour over coffee in a college town when I was young, but I digress... Basically in ceramic Melida brewers.

Add coffee, place on cup, heat water. Pour over enough water to wet the grounds, and stop. Let "bloom" for 30 seconds, then pour over at a consistent rate to complete the full brew without stopping...

Having said that, I listed the stuff I have for the kitchen, not the stuff I bring every time.

Short just feel like a quick weekend jaunt to the beach. I have literally gone with stuff to keep hot dogs cold long enough to shove them on a stick and cook them over a campfire, and smear condiments on with a plastic spoon from the glove box (still in plastic) from a prior trip to Wendys... And beer, lots of beer.

Fish N Farm likes this.
  19. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We are practitioners of the KISS camp program as well. Use the same GSI drip cup thingy.

PaThacker likes this.
  20. firepit

My morning coffee...Now if somebody else make the coffee I got
    no problem mooching theirs.[:D]
    download.jpg

Fish N Farm likes this.