No kitchen? No problem!

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dbhost, Mar 11, 2021.

1. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

14 yeArs at this pup camping game. We both figured it out.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  2. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

KISS method. One box. Nothing in pup. No black stone. No funny lights. Nada. Keep it simple stupid!
    59B31E90-ECF8-478E-ACAE-A25D022338D5.jpeg

kcsa75 and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  3. Floridagal

Floridagal Member

I love my setup!! I never cook inside because I don’t want the smell of food imbedded in the inside. Here is my setup—notice the matching tablecloth and rug!;)
    I cook full meals—not just hamburgers and hot dogs. Have a shelf system that allows me to bring dishes, pans glasses and silverware outside to eliminate that slamming door sound pop ups tend to make. Hubby bought plastic side curtains to protect things if it’s raining. Table raises to counter height which is great for cutting C31584B5-4BDF-4965-B59F-A5AD62089857.jpeg

DiamondGirl and eoleson1 like this.
  4. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

5. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

DiamondGirl likes this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have the Aldi clone of that shelter. Works great, but it is long when packed up! Also tends to get too hot inside in the summer unless you have fans. That mesh does a better job of blocking a breeze than you expect.

7. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

I don't know how much it would cost to start having that chuck box molded again but, I think a fellow could get healed up producing them again. I will take 2 but I want mine USA molded.

8. Sneezer

They are still made.

https://yokeoutdoors.com/

9. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

Thanks I am ordering one. I have to wait until the next check to get the other one.

10. Sneezer

You will like it. I have one of the originals from Beavertree, although I am constantly tweaking what goes in it. I just haven't settled on the right combination of gear, but I am close.

11. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Very nice! But for that price, I'm digging out plywood and my circular saw.

12. Katskamper

Katskamper Well-Known Member

this is my " tent camping deluxe" group entourage camping trip. & yes, it includes the kitchen sink.
    i designed & had trailer built to specs. built the sink too.

there were 20 on this trip. pro chef even. we ate daaaaang good every meal.

i downsized in the Skamper.

212D1C35-67D2-4A34-B4A5-BDD1D037DF62.jpeg

Attached Files:

J Starsky likes this.
  13. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

That's one heck of a camp kitchen!

Katskamper likes this.
  14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We travel with 2 Coleman 2 burner stoves, 10 Lb propane tank, EZ up canopy, Coleman HWOD unit and 2 plastic wash basins. All store really easy in the pup. Not to mention all the normal kitchen utensils and cookware, Dutch Oven included. We have two 4' folding tables that travel with us. I usually setup both at the end of a picnic table in an L shape. the two stoves go on one of them and the HWOD and wash basins go on the other one. This is my kitchen setup. The EZ up goes over the kitchen and most of the picnic table. The EZ up also has two walls that attach to it. In case of rain I just install the one behind the kitchen and cook away!

When traveling cross country the kitchen setup is much different. We bring one stove, only the kitchen utensils and cookware we need (not want), still bring the 10 lb propane tank. No EZ up since most nights are one nighters and if in the national Parks we break down and put the kitchen back in the TV.

On another note. Our EZ up performed it's last act of shade down the shore and after about 10 years of service I was forced to retire it!! It was a 10' canopy. I think the next one is going to be a 12' one.

15. UpNorth-John

UpNorth-John Member

I have an Add-a-room (it's basically half a cabin tent that attaches to the side of the pup) that I got from J.C. Whitney sometime in the early '90's. It's like an awning with screen/tent sides and a floor. On the side of the pup there is a shelf (my own design) attached with table/bed rail. That holds the two burner Coleman propane stove and a few other things. On the side, an access door (installed upside down so the door opens out of the way) allows a slide-out shelf (Home depot cabinet department) to telescope outward that holds spices, utensils, some basic staples and smaller cookware. The cooler and dry box (non-perishable food storage) sit on the ground/floor in this area.

These were all ideas I picked up from forums like these and looking at pictures of rigs over the years. None of it was part of my forty-six (46) year old camper's original design (yeah, you read that right), but it's made it much easier and enjoyable to use.

16. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear your EZ Up is dying. We bought ours in probably 2008, and yeah, it's time. I have to shoot WD-40 into the legs every so often to keep rust at bay, and the top fabric isn't doing so well any more.

I am eyeing the 13x13 I think they call it the Spectator model. In gray and blue to match my tent, and Ensuite. It drives me nuts how most camping gear isn't even close to consistent with colors. I know minor thing, but it is my minor thing... Anyway, on the 13x13, you get the overhang providing more shade and rain protection, while allowing you to use 10x10 accessories like shade walls, projection screens etc...

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We'll probably still be working on a shelter for next year, to give us more flexibility. The Big Agnes we bought last year does pretty well, but space is tight, especially if it's raining. The new table I bought this year is great, although heavier and bulkier than the previous aluminum roll-up table. I cover it with a piece of laminated fabric (clamped on) which not only is easier to wipe off than the pack cloth, it makes the "planks" of the fold up top less annoying. [It's a Browning outfitter table, although I've seen the same table under different brand names] I used it this year for washing dishes, and baking on both one of my Coleman camp stoves and the single burner one. We begin a 2-week trip tomorrow, so will have to decide what to pack tonight.

18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Interesting. I went to roll top aluminum table this year after my Coleman Stove melted spherical dents into the top of my Lifetime 5' folding table.

And yes, the folding plastic tables ARE heavy, and bulky, absolutely. They are nice if you want a dining table not exposed to heat...

My roll top table gets covered with a felt backed PVC tablecloth. Those tablecloths are maybe $5.00 at the grocery store. Small office binder clips hold them on and keep them from flying away.

Different approaches to solving the same problem. Honestly, I will probably go back to a folding plastic table. It's just the wife and I, and a 48" table would be fine... Especially if I remember to use my Coleman Packaway camp kitchen...

19. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

You could hide on that bed and never be found! Cool set up. My idea is ease, so I cook up sauces and stew, and dehydrate them, suck all the air out and while camping add the water back. Worked out really well. First time this season.