No left blinker or brake light!

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by flash82, Aug 31, 2009.

1. flash82

flash82 Member

Need a little help…. Noticed that my left brake light and left turn signal are out on my coleman timberlake. All the tail and running lights work fine, as does the right blinker and brake light. Didn’t have to much time to dig into but the ground under the camper looks good as does the wire (white) attached to the metal piece of the socket. I would think the socket is good since it lights the tail light. I did notice last night that if I put the hazards on the running lights and license plate light blink ever so slightly, this should be a sign, but I don’t know for what. (bad ground somewhere??) I will throw the test light on today, any thing in particular to look at / for?? I have the 7 pin that comes off the factory 4 pin. The connections look good there too.
    Thanks!
    Rob

I did a search and notice a couple of old posts but no one came back with a “eureka, this is what the fix is”

2. dplanetta

dplanetta New Member

Might be a broken wire. Figure out which colour is the left and trace it. I recently found the same thing on the right. Found a number of bad connections on my TV. was about an hour late leaving for our trip and just a tad bit cranky.

Happy camping.

3. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

check for a bad bulb or some water sediments in the bulb socket.

4. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

The exact same thing happened to me this summer. When I got home, I found that I had a bad connection in the wiring harness of the trailer.

But first, if you haven't already, put a new bulb in there just to be sure it is not that.

Start first with your TV. With someone or something (I use a cinder block), hold down the brake pedal and test the left 9:00 position pin of the receptacle on the back of your TV. Using a test light or a multimeter, place the red lead on the 9:00 position pin, and the black lead on your 1:00 position pin (neutral). You should get a reading. If not, the problem is with your TV. If so, start working your way back on your trailer's wiring harness.

Solving electrical problems requires patience and a methodical approach. Start at one end and work your way to the other, or start with the easy stuff and keep working towards the harder fixes.

And while you're searching (I hope you don't have to search long), take care of any other connections you find that might be a future problem. I soldered one extra connection that looked like a failure waiting to happen when I fixed my harness.

5. flash82

flash82 Member

yeah, I already tried a new bulb. What gets me is why one side works, but the other doesn't.

6. flash82

flash82 Member

K, I found something!! I have the 7 pin connector from etrailer (the one that plugs to the 4 pin factory) When the 7 pin adapter is plugged into the 4 pin factory and car brakes are on the left blinker pin also lights, along with the pin at the bottom (brakes). When I unplug from 4 pin factory the left blinker pin remains off.
    The 4 pin factory test correct..IS the yellow and green suppose to light brakes too????

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I find this an easier way to explain. Looking at the 7 pin connector on the TV where the PU plugs in, 11 o'clock tail, 9 o'clock left, 7 o'clock ground, 3 o'clock right ...... these are the only terminals that should work if only a flat four is plugged into it. The 1 o'clock 12volt and 5 o'clock brake should be dead. If more than 3 terminals have power and one is the ground .... I would say that there is something wrong with the adapter.

8. MzDaleJrFan

MzDaleJrFan New Member

Had this happen this summer. Hubby was about to rewire the entire PUP. Our Jimmy has the tow package and a wiring harness under it that the harness either 4 or 7 way attaches to. I got out the manual fort he jimmy and figured out that the fuse was blown for that side of the harness. So you may want to check yours too. Hubby was REALLY happy that he didn't have to rewire everything!

9. my3kids

my3kids New Member

Dave & Deb,

A blown fuse in the trailer not the TV right? A curious question would be why would that fuse blow on the trailer? There doesn't seem to be much going on that could cause the blown fuse. Or am I over simplifying the problem.

The reason I ask is I also have no blinker or brake light on the left side. I only noticed it just as we were leaving on a 200mi trip. I swapped bulbs with the right side so its not the bulb. I didn't think about the fuse though. It could be the socket, the wiring, the 7-wire connector ... I just haven't had the time to trace it yet. If anyone has any clues I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Ray + lovely wife + our 3 kids
    07 Fleetwood Saratoga
    08 Nissan Armada

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

There should not be any fuses on the PU( popup) for the tail,stop or turn lights.

11. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Ray is right...I mistakenly said that the neutral (or ground) is the 1:00 position. It is actually the 7:00 position, right under the left turn one.

12. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

here is the standard wiring for trailers...

[​IMG]

for the 4 pin, it should be brown, yellow, green, white...

white = ground
    yellow left turn
    green right turn
    brown tail lights

So the brown supplies normal "light" to the tail lights if your head lights are on. Yellow is used for both brakes and turn, when you apply the brakes, it sends the signal to both the yellow and green, which also allows for the brakes an turn signal to be used.

So in your case, I would be tracing the yellow wire from the TV connector all the way to the rear light. It is possible it may be the adapter itself is not making a good connection on either end (Tv or pup).

Turn on the left blinker since it does not require the brakes to be pressed
    1. Use the test light or multimeter on the TV connector itself.
    1a. if there is nothing then it may be a problem with the TV wiring for the yellow. Since the right side and headlight based lights work fine, that means the green, brown and ground/white work fine.
    1b. If thats ok, plug in the adapter (but not the pup) and check the yellow at the 4pin side,
    1c. if nothing, check it on the 7pin side with the adapter plugged in. There may be a short in the adapter itself.

2. if there is power into the yellow, then plug in the pup and check all the same connectors again.
    2a. If there is no power anymore then it may be a bad ground.
    2b. if there is power but only when you have the test light/multimeter pushed on, then it definitely is the yellow on the trailer itself as the multimeter is providing the power....

13. MzDaleJrFan

MzDaleJrFan New Member

Blown fuse was on the TV. Check your owners manual. The fuse for the wiring harness on the TV is under the hood on my Jimmy. DH did not believe me when I told him that was like it can't be a fuse, blah blah blah then when I pulled the fuse for the left side turn and breaks and it was blown, well lets just say he shut his mouth pretty quick!!! [LOL] Hope its an easy fix for you! Deb

14. flash82

flash82 Member

Well, got it working. After a bit more messing around it turned out the culprit was the 4 way connector from the 7 way to the 4 pin factory.
    When I tested just the car' it worked fine. When the 7 way (adapter) was pluged in the left side didn't work if i tested through the 7 way plug. Any time the 4 way plug (connecter) moved a little, the left side blinker and brake light came on. So it just turned out to be a bad connection from the 7 way adapter to the 4 pin factory. I cut each end of the 4 way factory and 4 pin from the 7 pin adapter and did a direct connection. Thanks to all!!!

Did I confuse you all now....
    Rob

screwball...why couldn't you post that about 3 hours earlier. Pretty much what I eneded up doing...lol