No lights when brakes are applied!

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by brainradio, Mar 20, 2010.

1. brainradio

brainradio 2000 Palomino Colt

Turn signals work, Running or clearance lights work. When I engage the brakes all lights are off.

When I take a tester to my TV I have power for signals and clearance lights. When I apply the brankes I have power on all 3 (brown yellow and green). Nothing however is feeding the brake lights on the pu (or any light for that matter.

??? help???

thanks

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The turn and stop lights are powered by the same wires (right and left). It is my guess that when you apply the brakes the light goes out because of a ground problem. Please try this .... first ...... take a battery jumper cable set and connect the one end to the chassis of the PU anywhere you can get a good contact and the other end of the same cable to the chassis of your TV. This will rule out a bad ground between the PU and the TV. Now recheck the lights ... turn on the taillights and the PU taillights should light dim, now put on the four way flashers of the TV, the lights should stay on dim (very important) and blink brighter. If the dim taillight goes out .... you have a bad ground from the light housing to the PU chassis.

3. brainradio

brainradio 2000 Palomino Colt

It appears... after much testing that the PU has 2 grounds? there are 2 white wires from the pu and one operates the brakes alone. This white is a dedicated ground for a potential braking system (which the col does not have). If i use that white as well as the other white everything works like it should, when it should.

thanks

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

That was easy.