no more external TPMS for my Aliner tires

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Anthony Hitchings, Oct 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

both the cheap and the less cheap external TPMS units failed after less than a year of use. They were a PITA because they blocked direct access to measuring camper tire pressure when stopped and adding air.

Ideally, I would use an internal TPMS on my camper wheels. But when road hazards puncture a tire, you have to deal with the TPMS issue on any spare tire.

My sense is that a slow leaker can be caught in time if you check your tires frequently on a trip, more so if staying several days at one place. Such was our experience on this trip.

A fast leaker will cause your tire to run on its webs and trash the tire in no time at all. Such was my experience on the prior trip.

After at least four flat tires in 2+ years it seems to me that road hazards which puncture tires are a much bigger issue than China Bombs, so for now I will stick to affordable 5.3-12 bias ply tires. (while still pondering 13" rims). And it still seems less expensive to buy tire-wheel combos from Harbor Freight (and yes, I have also bought unmounted tires, one of which I installed myself).

BTW, the Tractor Supply price for a mounted 12" tire-wheel is about double the price at Harbor Freight (for a name brand tire).

Tip of the Day: when somewhat hurriedly buying a new tire-wheel combo on vacation, to replace a spare, be sure to count the lug nuts, as it were. I carried my newly purchased spare over 1,000 miles only to find that it was 4-lug and not 5-lug. Got a full refund from our sort-of-local Tractor Supply.

On Monday I will see if our local tire business will put an inside patch on a 12" tire ( puncture is small and center of tread). One of our local tire shops does not do 12" tire work at all.

2. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

We can all thank the gubberment (and maybe insurance companies) for TPMS.
    TPMS has both pros and cons.
    I fear that many folks have stopped checking tire pressure now cause of TPMS.
    You still need to check tire pressure to maximize tire life and safety.

3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

FYI, tire shop advises that they cannot do an internal patch on a 12" tire.