no pop-ups!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by threebeachboys, Jul 3, 2016.

1. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Happy 4th!

Camping at Jordan Lake in NC. For the first time ever, I've not seen one pop-up in our loop. Seems split between tents and travel trailers. And our little Aliner.

Just odd - usually see at least a handful . . . . .

2. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

It only us and one other popup here. We see very few. Lots of new big trailers though. More new than we've ever seen. Only 2 hybrids. Lots of tents as well.

Rained like crazy. Woke up yesterday to the neighbors being gone and where their tent was a lake had formed. We got nearly 2 inches total. We ate in a grass pad and set the camper in a low spot. Oops. I put some wood chips under our awning Matt to help with the mud. Hit up dollar tree as well for a couple extra towels.

What I don't understand is all the people camping in tents at power locations. Those should be left for campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem with tenters using electric sites. I am sure they have things they want to power.

4. sespe

sespe Member

That sounds just like our introduction to popups, very many years ago. My young wife and I were devout tent campers, but a buddy of mine had a small starcraft at an unbeatable price. It was just us and 2 big dogs back then. We took it up to Big Sur, CA over Thanksgiving one year for our shakedown cruise.

The last night we were there, a huge storm was forecast to come through. Sure enough, it rained all night, but the redwoods kept the force down. We stayed warm and dry all night. The next morning, the dogs didn't want to leave the trailer. When I looked out, I saw why. Our site was 4" deep in water, as was the nearby tenter sites. They had all packed up and left during the night.

I was sold on Popups from that day on...

5. cdn_tbird

cdn_tbird Member

We camp at provincial parks and have always booked an electrical site as close to the lake as possible, even when we were in a tent. Whether it was so we could run a small space heater to keep the dampness down, or to power my CPAP machine. The one thing we wouldn't do is book a pull-through site.

6. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

x2. I almost always got an electric site before getting my first pup. Sometimes I used a tent and then later a conversion van.

7. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

I agree, it seems to be an up trend with tenters at Hydro sites....which is fine by me. The last park we were at our loop(Not pull through) of about 25 sites was equally split between tenters, TT's, PU's, and Hybrids. What surprised me though was the amount of PU's dry camping. When booking we'll go Hyro first and dry second.

My personal opinion is that camping is on an upswing in popularity, in particular with more TT's and Hybrids on the road. Good Hydro sites book fast, tenter or otherwise!

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Why should they be secluded to a spot by themselves. , Tenters pay the same price for the site, and most have electrical items some even have an AC now. I tent camped for years and still liked the modern conveniences. I see here on the different forums about people in the big rigs looking down on the smaller RV's such as Pop Ups and small RV's but they also pay the same price. Tenters are welcome to stay in any park I am in.
    and even while backpacking I stopped into a SP. when available

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I'm always excited when I DO see another pop-up. Camping in Alaska is really geared to self-contained rigs.

I always give a nod to my fellow pop-up brave souls.

10. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

I just don't get it. It you have ac then fine. Even with a cpap a person could get a 12v or rechargeable one. I see lots of people getting them with nothing plugged into the pole. A cell phone charges fine in the car. Around here the best sites are tent only no power. It's just weird to me. I only need power for my ac and that's to keep he wife and kids happy. I'm good without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Gary_Nc

Gary_Nc New Member

The last time I camped, I was the only pop up in the camp ground for the first day or two, then one other came in. there were about 5 or 6 sites with tents all the rest were travel trailers and motor homes. I tent camped for a lot of years and with my luck it rained about 90% of the time. I could care less if tent campers have electric or not that is up to the owner. I am so glad we have a pop up!! no more spending the first couple of hours trying to get my muscles and joints moving again also when it rains no problem we just sit under the awning

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

On some of my trips this year, I've seen more pups than usual. It seems to depend on the campground and (maybe) timing. There are some campgrounds we use that tend to be heavy on rentals, such as Grand Canyon (North and South Rims). That skews the % towards RVs. However, at North Rim of Grand Canyon the week after Memorial Day, we saw more popups and small TTs than usual.
    It will be interesting to see the mix next week at the Colorado Rally. Camping seems to be getting more popular all over. The campground where the Rally is this year is far enough from Denver that getting reservations close to trip time hasn't been much of an issue in the past (we've camped at the same CG for 20 years or so). This year, people were not able to get reservations a couple of months before the Rally.

Saying tenters should not have electric sites is as elitist as believing RVers look down on pups. As ground tenters (& with our first pup, basically a tent on wheels, which had only one outlet for any power use), yes, we sometimes had power, for various reasons. Sometimes the sites with electric were the only ones available - either because the whole loop had power sites, or that was all that was left when we made a reservation or arrived at a campground. We sometimes used power if we had it. In the early days of our cell phone usage, we had to charge it more often (it seemed) and it was easy to do so in the campsite if we had power. We also used an electric blanket and light once when we went camping in December -we had to pay for power whether or not we used it, so we figured out how to use it. Most of the sites at one of the Colorado SPs have power, and I've seen lots of tents with power cords, for some use. We did call the rangers on a site in NYS, who thought having power meant blasting their powerful stereo for hours on end was a good idea.

13. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

We don't typically see many pups in the state parks. Have been out camping for a week in WI and saw a handful during the week. More than I would say I typically see. Then moved over to a private campground becauae they had an opening for the 4th weekend. I have never seen so many pups. There are tons in here. Rigs of all sizes, but more pups than I have seen in one place in a while.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

14. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

[mini-rant mode on]You want to buy me a special power option for my CPAP? Because I'm in a pup and I don't have a special charging option for mine. Not everyone can afford several hundred dollars for a battery pack.

If a tenter is paying for an electrical site, why does it bother you that he's got it? He has as much right as anyone else -- if the campground allows it -- and, as others have said, maybe he has things he would like to plug in. Maybe he's plugging something in when you aren't studying his site. [mini-rant mode off]

Carry on.

15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Our home camp site is Westmoreland State park just 25-miles away from us here in Northern Neck VA.

We like to camp in the B-SECTION which has both Electric sites and mixed in with a bunch of non-electric site.

Lots of tents here including us sometime...

I will get all setup with my POPUP trailer and preaty soon a tent guy will show up in an adjoining non electric site. Then here comes a guy dragging an extension cord asking if he can plug into my 20AMP circuit.

I always tell them I don't mind but keep in mind I sometimes use the 20AMP Service here as well so I have priority haha...

I have a short 10-gauge splitter contractor type and he plugs in to one side while I am plugged in to the other side... I like to run all of my outside lights and other outside items using this as it doesn't take away from the 30AMP side...

I was out walking behind my trailer a couple days later and spotted his extension cord running up near his camp spot and noticed there was a multi head on the end of his extension cord. It was feeding at least three more tent camp sites buddies haha...

They all had lights on after dark one had a TV going I think...

I just shook my head....

I did unplug them one time hooking up something else and heard at least a couple of tent guys holler out what happened to my lights haha...

I guess some can carry this too far perhaps.. This was all out in the open for management to see if they wanted to see it so guess it is condoned somewhat...

Really doesn't bother me as long as I get to use what I am paying for...

I was POPUP trailer camping at Wichita MTNs WILDLIFE REFUGE in OKLA one time and had reserved an Electric site. When I got there all of the Electric sites were already taken so I took a non-electric site. These were secluded somewhat so we was off to ourselves. Then I noticed a site worker was working at a pump house just some 50-feet away from us which had electric so i walked over there and was talking to him. He said he had no problem we me hooking up to his electric if I wanted to. He did say he would have to lock the door where the receptacle was located.... Then he said I'll be right back... He came back with a 25-foot cord and hooked it up and laid it out in the bushes in my direction so I could plug into it haha... I went back to the office and paid for an electric site fee.

So here I am sitting somewhat in the middle of several tent camp setups running my fans and other electric items outside sitting around the fire pit. I started feeling guilty haha... My extension cord was out of sight site so I guess they didn't have any idea I was hooked up to the PUMP house. One guy finally came over and asked how i was running all of these electric items on the outside as you could see the patio side had a couple of extension cords plugged into my trailer outside receptacle and I told him I had batteries and an inverter which I did actually have... haha...

We was there for four days as I recall and when I left I coiled up their extension cord by the pump house door and headed out...

Roy Ken

16. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Haven't noticed much difference in the number of PUPs in campgrounds. Have noticed a lot more A-frames around & more T@Bs as well. Not sure there are fewer canvas PUPs, but perhaps those are now a smaller segment of the overall camping market. Am thinking it's that more folks are getting RVs. I see a lot fewer large, family sized tents. Seems to me there used to be more families in ground tents & now most of those are using a trailer of some sort. What I almost never see are teardrops of the the smaller, traditional style, excluding T@Bs.

The oddest experience was last year when we went to a bicycling event. Most folks were camped in tents, but there was a parking lot reserved for people in campers. When we pulled in, over 1/3 of the trailers there were A-frames. It was a bit surreal & all the A-frame folks had the same feeling. Apparently A-frames are the camper of choice for folks who love bikes. [LOL] Have had that experience before or after.

Not quite sure what you are getting at. Is it just that you don't see a need for electricity while camping except for air conditioning? Or are you saying folks shouldn't need AC power, but should stick with DC/12 volt instead?

Like it or not, more & more people are taking advantage of having power available at their campsite. We all have different ways of camping. Many, really most, of us use electric power of some sort when camping. It's still camping even with power. And just for the record, folks in tents have as much use & right to power sites as folks in trailers. Actually, I have less need of sites with power now than I did before I got my trailer. I've got a built in battery in my Aliner & now I even have solar for recharging.

As long as folks are getting out, enjoying camping & the great outdoors, I'm happy for them. It doesn't matter what type of set up they have or whether they use electricity or not.

17. R00

R00 Active Member

Had a guy pull up into the site next to me in a Tesla, get out, plug in his car, got back in and went to sleep. Gone by morning.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

18. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

Some of us need power site for CPAP machine

19. Tin_man

Tin_man New Member

We just saw a tent next to us the other day with a window unit attached to it. Yeah boy. Lol

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

20. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

DAMN THAT IS FUNNY!!!!

PLEASE TELL ME YOU GOT PICS AND PLEASE POST THEM!!!