No power? PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dbhost, Mar 11, 2021.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Replace the gas cap.

2. don evans

don evans New Member

I'm not sure what idiot told you 2 stroke engines do not start below freezing. Have you ever heard of a snowmobile or possibly an ice auger? Both 2 stroke, both primarily used in below freezing.

3. gxwalsh

gxwalsh New Member

I have a CPAP and I switched to keeping a 100w solar panel + regulator + 12v lithium pack after we lost power her in mid-Atlantic for 5 days in 2018<?>. It can charge in a few hours and works in negative temps. The Harbor Freight setup is 4x25w panels for $180+ but new 100w panels on Amazon are ~ $90. The charge regulator is ~35. If your battery pack has a 12v barrel plug to charge, it should all just snap together.

4. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Another handy substitute for ether is a small propane torch. As well as the obvious possibilities for heating, lighting fires under poor conditions, etc, try this: Open the torch valve, then hold the UNLIT tip near the air intake. You'll be sucking in a completely gassified air/propane mix, that burns easily and won't flood the motor. As soon as it fires, just move it away. If the engine falters, wave it back and forth past the intake until the engine is drawing it's own fuel. I've used this to get improperly stored small engines started for neighbors in the spring more than once.

5. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, the Renogy 100w kit is less $$ than the HF kit, $158.00 https://amzn.to/2OIb7kq, and it has a better charge controller... The HF kit is $179.99 https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-solar-panel-kit-63585.html?_br_psugg_q=solar+kit .

Long term I am looking at as a minimum 1KW of solar though. But that is a long way off.

In the interim. If the Renogy will charge my CPAP, laptop, and both my phone and my wifes, I will likely go for it...

6. gxwalsh

gxwalsh New Member

The Renogy set is nice if for no other reason than the fact it’s just one panel.

Most of the charge controllers in the sets can do up to 400w so you’d have some room to grow.

dbhost likes this.
  7. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

econ and I have the same practice: Drain the tank, then run the carb empty before storing the beasts (two and four stroke) for the next outing. It's one thing to let gasoline evaporate and leave its deposits behind. It's another to have those deposits AND the mixed two stroke oil sludge up the bottom of the carb.
    No, my issue isn't the cold, it's the fuel/air mix ratio. I have a terrible record of melting holes in pistons (Puch moped, Yamaha RD400, John Deere Spitfire, SAAB 96) due to running too lean. Now I have only the Poulan chain saw two stroke. Everything else of mine with internal combustion has oil in a separate crank case.

8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

What, no Sonnett?