No power, troubleshooting suggestions please

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by BDeF, Oct 12, 2021.

1. BDeF

BDeF New Member

Hey gang, our pup is not getting any power (through a fully charged battery or shore power) so I'm hoping to get any troubleshooting steps the group can offer. Earlier in the summer things were running but on our last trip after hooking up the battery, we got nothing. I hooked up to a functioning outlet at home last night the result is no power and the battery doesn’t even charge so something is up… From what I’ve read, it could be bad fuses, bad convertor, bad connections, etc. but I’m not sure the best place to start to diagnose.

I realize there could be a lot going on so wanted to see if someone can provide input on what to check first? I'm worthless with this type of thing... Appreciate the input.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Did you hook the battery up corectly? If you didnt you vould have blown a fuse. Check the fuse and the breakers first. Then check to see if anything is powered off the shore line. Then check gfi recepticals, and the fuse outside by the battery. Even if you blew a fuse, the outlets should work on shore power. But the dc side would be down. Test everything and report what works and dosent. Other then that the converter may be toast.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Sounds like fuses and/or breakers.

4. BDeF

BDeF New Member

OK, I think one of the fuses wasn’t inserted all the way into the board because after taking each out/putting back after inspecting, shore power started working. I’m still not able to get power through the battery though and the voltmeter shows there is no voltage coming through those wires.

I did some more searching in the forums and came across someone else who had a chirping sound which I had noticed on our last trip as well. The lights seemed dim and apparently the chirping could mean the battery wasn’t supplying enough power? Attached is a picture of what I now know is the inline fuse. I wasn’t able to replace that one because it appears to be melted together – is that normal?

Should I try replacing or is there something else I look at first?

Thanks in advance

5. Sjm9911

I cant see the pictures. Chirping is usally the propane detector low battery signal. Test the battery, or charge it. If you didnt have shore power, it probably didnt charge. But on shore power, all the dc stuff should work.

Raycfe likes this.
  6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

No. Things that melt together are candles, crayons, and chocolate. Fuses and electrical components should not. Don't make fun of my crayons. Or my chocolate. How do you separate crayons from chocolate?

Sjm9911 and LilRed like this.
  7. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

You don't. Just eat them all together... Be *that* kid...

Snow and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. BDeF

BDeF New Member

OK, I reattached the photos so hopefully you can see the inline fuse. Shore power is working fine now and everything functions as expected when hooked up. The battery is charged (via a portable charger) but it is not providing any power when it's connected. Looking for other suggestions to troubleshoot where to go from here. Thanks

Attached Files:

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Check the battery ground and make sure it is good. A jumper cable from the frame to the negative post is a check or ohm the negative cable end to the frame. If you have no voltage at the converter from the battery, and the fuse is good (check for voltage on both fuse legs), it's time to start tracing wires to see where you lose voltage at.

10. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

That is a trashed fuse holder. Open to the elements allows mosture, dust , road salts to corrode the connections. Corroded electrical connections cause heat. Heat can melt plastic. It needs to be replaced. Use one with 10 gauge leads and a closable top that will seal out the elements. Even then they should be replaced every few years when used outdoors.

Westcoast and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. BDeF

BDeF New Member

OK, I'll replace that. When I got back under there tonight I took off some electrical tape in a few places and noticed something else going on with the negative wires. Can someone break down for me what's going in the pics and what I should do? Do I just retape them or should I splice/connect in a couple of places?

You guys are leading the blind here...

Attached Files:

12. SteveP

A pretty poor solder joint. The first 2 pics look like most of the individual strands in at least one of the wires are broken, you can better tell than me. If not probably best to just rewrap it unless you have a good solder gun and think you can do better.

I've never used one of these before but it looks like an easy way to make a 3way connection. Just make sure you get the set screws torqued down tight and wrap it with tape to seal out the elements.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  13. Ed Llorca

Ed Llorca Member

Yup seems like one of the white wires is fraying so it may be worth redoing that connection. Do you have 12 volts when shore power is running?

14. SteveP

DOH! What was I thinking? Put ring terminals on all three wires and tie them together with a self tapping bolt run into the frame.

15. BDeF

BDeF New Member

Yes, we do.

16. BDeF

BDeF New Member

I can try this.

17. BDeF

BDeF New Member

Replacing the trashed fuse holder with a new in-line fuse did the trick so we now have power running on the battery. However, it only works after pulling out the fuse and resetting it. I was able to charge the battery via shore power but would only get lights on inside after doing this trick. Seems like maybe something else is still going on. Any ideas?

Thanks for all of the tips here.

18. SteveP

I usually interpret that as the fuse holder or the fuse contacts are corroded. Pulling and reinserting the fuse wipes the corrosion and allows them to make contact but the corrosion builds back up. If you're reusing the old fuse replace it. If not some electrical contact cleaner may help. You can also use alcohol but you'll need something like a pipe cleaner to scrub the contacts.

Econ likes this.
  19. Sjm9911

A scotch brite pad is good for scrubbing contacts. If you can get it in there.

20. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Pencil eraser for hard to get at. A little vinegar to.