No Propane in camper

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by lostboy, Aug 12, 2019.

1. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

On our last trip a 4 months ago everything worked perfectly. Went to turn the fridge to propane this weekend before we left so I opened the tank and turned the stove on to get the air out of the lines. Nothing came out after a few seconds.

I went and closed the tank, opened it really slowly, nothing.

I unhooked the tank, took it off, yep it's almost full. Hooked it back up and had flow to the stove. Great I thought.

Went to start the fridge and it wouldn't light. Went back to check the stove, back to nothing. Same on the furnace.

Swapped tanks to see if it was a tank issue and still nothing.

So I am looking for some trouble shooting tips. Can you give me some trouble shooting tips on what to do and look for tonight?

I plan to open the tank painfully slow tonight to see if that was the issue. I know my lines were probably all empty since it sat for so long, does that matter?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Light the stove and leave it on for a few minutes. Turn it off and try the other devices again.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I had a similar issue this spring, when I ran out of LP on the last morning of a 10-day trip, I should have had more than enough LP, so was surprised to have no gas for the stove. I had one tank filled, tried to run the stove as we do after having the tanks off. I did all manner of opening the valve slowly, and didn't get more than a wimpy flame that died right out.
    In our case, it turned out to be two problems - the tank I did not fill had a leak in the pigtail hose, at a brass collar. That explained running out of LP.
    The pigtail on the tank I had filled was blocked. Since it was also empty, the blockage must have occurred after I filled the tank, but we never figured out what the blockage was. We just replaced the pigtails and all was well.
    Apparently regulators can go bad too, though we haven't had that happen (yet).

4. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

I opened it painfully slow. Was able to light the stove. Waited about 4 minutes and with the stove running and fired up the fridge. Success.

Hopefully I just opened it to fast this weekend and was being impatient and this was the fix.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

How old is the propane tank?

6. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

3 years. Everything is 3 years old which is why I can't imagine anything failing yet.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Check the hose and the regulator for leaks. Use soapy water and with the gas on, look for bubbles.

8. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Ok.

I went out and tried it again tonight with the same painfully slow opening of the tank. Stove started up but flamed out quickly (burned what was left in the line). Swapped tanks just to be sure and still nothing flowing in the camper.

So, I am back at square one and I don't understand why it worked last night, but not tonight.

Any ideas?