no recertification on or gas tanks

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Anthony Hitchings, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

wife took our std tank to a large propane outfit to get recertified - where she was told that these backyard BBQ sized tanks never get recertified; she got the same story from the guy at safeway who handles the exchange tanks - whats your experience?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Most don't look at the cert. It's normally some pimple faced kid doing the refill and they either don't care or don't know to check. But you should.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I've never recertified, mainly because when my tanks hit the date, they usually look beat. I also like to take the opportunity to buy a new tank with a built in gauge.

Cost wise, I wonder how much a recertifiy is vs new is.

4. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

Cost wise, I wonder how much a recertifiy is vs new is.[/QUOTE]

I pay $5.00 at the local propane company. I keep my tanks in good condition, so there is never a problem.

xxxapache likes this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We refill our 20# tanks at the KOA 3 miles from the house, where they actually do check the date on the tanks. At one point, they had a note at the LP station about a place that would re-certify tanks, though it was a few miles out of town. That indicates to me that there aren't a lot of places that do that.
    When we need to replace the tanks, we'll just buy new, since these will have a lot of miles of stone chips and such by that point. It'll be a while, the two oldest are from 2014.

Spridle likes this.
  6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Just exchange old cylinders for much newer @ exchange places, they will recert them and keep em in rotation. Its the green thing to do (psychic profit)! Be sure and pick a new(er) one.

Psychic profit and loss is an increase (profit) or decrease (loss) in the acting man's satisfaction or happiness. Psychic profits and losses are sensible, subjective, mental and purely personal.

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

There are places that will recertify, but I think they are getting harder to find. After I hit my 12 years on a tank I just pick up a new one at Costco. Many times if you do the exchange route you get a tank that is good for another couple years. Re-certifying tanks only gets you 5 years anyway, and most of the exchange ones I have seen have been recertified a couple times already.

kitphantom likes this.
  8. Anthony Hitchings

Odd thing was that all the exchange tanks at Safeway were old, right around 10-11 years !!

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Around here the filler has to be trained to do a fill.
    If a tank is fill with an expired date there could be a large fine and the filler would probably loose his job whether he has pimples or not.
    I take old tanks to Blue Rhino until I get one with a good date then I take off the label and get it filled locally to 20 pounds.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

+2

Last year I did just this for 4 tanks as they ran empty. I found a lowes that in the garden section they had the exchange tanks that were almost brand new. Less than 3 months old. Two of my 4 tanks were 10+ years old and 2 were 8+ years old. Two were for the camper and 2 for the grill. It was over about 6 months, but I now have all my tanks with different months of 2018.

Since exchanging the tanks I have used the propane and refill all the tanks at my refiller. I figure the cost per tank when adjusting for high price 15 lbs ($17.50) from the exchange vs 20 lbs ($13) at refiller to be about $11 per tank. but it was easy.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Raycfe, Fless and Anthony Hitchings like this.
  11. Fless

Fless Active Member

We have an All-Seasons Rental place near my work that will recertify tanks for a small fee, around $5. I usually get mine filled there since they'll put the full 20 lbs. in as opposed to the exchange tanks that give you only 15 lbs.

However, I'd simply use the exchange process to update my tank and get one that has a later certification if mine was getting close to being expired. Those of you with tanks that are painted to match your camper may want to get yours recertified and keep them.

From https://www.amerigas.com/amerigas-blog/2017/march/how-to-recertify-your-propane-tank:
    All grill cylinders require re-certification 12 years from the date it was manufactured, and every 5 years after that.
    So what do you do when it’s time to recertify your tank? Just follow the quick and easy steps below, and you’ll be grilling (safely) in no time!
    1. Visit www.amerigas.com/propane-locations and enter your zip code to find the nearest AmeriGas location.
    2. Contact your local office to schedule your re-certification appointment.
    3. Bring your tank into your local office for recertification. You’ll receive a sticker on your tank with the inspection date and recertification date.
    _

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You may want to make sure the color is legal in your area.

Fless likes this.
  13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I see daily 20 and 30 lb new tanks that are stamped for a 10 year recert instead of the 12 year

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

15. davido

davido Active Member

The exchange places typically accept in trade tanks that have expired. They have their own recertification credentials so assuming the tank is worthy of recertification, they are able to handle it. So I'll refill again and again until I reach the date, then exchange for an overpriced underfilled probably recertified tank that's had a fresh spray paint job from one of the propane exchange places. And in a few years when that one expires, repeat.

kcsa75 likes this.
  16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

17. Fless

Fless Active Member

Likely not. The recertification visual inspection, what you'll likely get, is still good for only 5 years.

From https://www.rvtravel.com/how-often-do-you-have-to-re-certify-propane-tanks/:
    The Department of Transportation (DOT) finalized the new rule affecting requalification of DOT cylinders; this new rule took effect January 23, 2017.

The rule impacts the following areas of cylinder requalification:
    • Reduces the initial requalification period for DOT cylinders from 12 years to 10 years from the date of manufacture.
    • Reduces the requalification period for cylinders that are requalified using volumetric expansion testing from 12 years to 10 years.
    • Increases the requalification period for cylinders that are requalified using a proof pressure test from 7 years to 10 years.
    • Does not affect the 5-year visual inspection method for cylinder requalification.
    _

18. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

My refiler checks the date every time.

19. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We've gotten ours recertified before... cost maybe $15-20 if I recall correctly, not including the tank fill. Cheaper than a new tank though.

Usually I just try to do a tank exchange before ours hits the date (or after, if I can get away with it)

20. Anthony Hitchings

well, this thread got legs !! Looks like circumstances vary a bit by location and facility. Since we don't use gas for the frig (we use PV and an Engel) we will likely either swap the 15LB fill cylinders or refill them, depending on when we need gas and who has gas. (our Dometic is being removed to make way for the Engel)