No sew cushions?

XD9_Shorty

Dec 9, 2012
I really hate the cushions that came with our camper so I'm trying to find a way to make new ones, I can sew, don't feel like to on this project. So I'm trying gorilla glue, anyone else try this & how'd it turn out? Thanks

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I can make a mess with things like Gorilla Glue. Are you thinking of using it for seaming things together, glue it to the old covers or ???
I just made slipcovers for our camper. I used my serger to stabilize the edges of the fabric, and I took an extra step of cutting a square at each corner, to eliminate bulk, and sewing that seam. We were concerned that things would be too snug since I just put the new fabric over the original covers, but they fit in place fine when I put them in the pup yesterday.
However, I did not sew them onto the cushions, I used large safety pins. It would be possible to do the same if you didn't mind the bit of extra bulk at the corners. Here's a pic of the reverse of the slipcovers on the previous pup, when I used the same method:

slipcover reverse by kitphantom, on Flickr

I used smaller pins for that one, and the ones this time were huge, something in between might be better. I'll keep an eye out for what I have in mind and change them out when I need to wash the slipcovers. [Washing is one reason we wanted slipcovers, and ones that could be removed.]

bropaul

Super Active Member
Aug 7, 2009
Assuming you are talking about the dinette seat and back cushions... I would think just wrapping the fabric around the cushion and sides and stapling the fabric on the back board. If you ever wanted to change the cover after using gorilla glue, the removal would be labor intensive and you might never get it all off. In our case we have one dinette back that shows above a counter. For that one I would cut a separate rectangle to fit the back, fold under the raw edge to 'finish', staple the edge that doesn't show and use upholstery tacks on the section that is exposed. Easy, neat and quick!

Just my thoughts...
Diane

Misc99

Super Active Member
Mar 19, 2012
I'm not sure exactly how you want to do this, but have you considered the no sew tape that you iron seams together for part of the project?

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
If it were my project, I'd go with Diane's method and just wrap it around the foam, like a package, then pin. Otherwise you'll be committed to it for the life of the foam. [While we have a mixed history of success with adhesives, in this case I'm sure it'd stick no matter how much I wanted to remove it.]

XD9_Shorty

Dec 9, 2012
It shouldn't be to hard to remove it if I want to. I really like it

A6059661-5809-4FB0-9B75-A8E256648945-612-000000629BEA4AAF_zps78ff38ac.jpg

13C7AB08-7AEC-43B8-918A-911F4995D93A-612-00000062966A5EBC_zps34c08e5b.jpg

TheShulaShack

Jul 11, 2010
If it is for the dinette cushions, you can also buy a pillow case for a body pillow (depending on the size). StitchWitch (iron on adhesive) also works wonders!

bropaul

Super Active Member
Aug 7, 2009
I didn't realize when I originally responded that some dinette 'cushions' are loose and just lay on the wood. I would consider using iron on tape to hem the edges of the fabric before wrapping the cushions and then securing with safety pins or Velcro. A fabric glue could also be used... but I'm not sure about gorilla glue. Some glues may 'melt' the foam if it comes in direct contact.

Your pictures are no longer available but I am sure they turned out to your liking! And that's all that matters!!! [;)]

Happy camping!
Diane

ezkoher

Apr 13, 2013
I am also in the middle of remodeling my old pup. I'm having a blast!:D I used stitch witchery on my cushions, but I also used an old curtain for it:) I'm gonna see how well it holds but so far, it's looking pretty good!

ezkoher

Apr 13, 2013
Oh. I also used the same for my no sew curtains....I'm not looking to put a lot of $$ into her until I know for sure she's going to be used as planned.