No tail, brake or turn signal lights work except right turn/brake light: HELP!

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by kurtjanice, Aug 4, 2014.

1. kurtjanice

kurtjanice New Member

We have a 2000 Coleman Bayside Elite that we've been using for 14 years now. The trailer safety lights quit working (all but the right turn signal/brake light) and we're stumped. We've replaced the connector to the tow vehicle and checked all the ground wires. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Thanks in advance!

2. Phranc

Phranc New Member

You'll need to trace the wiring harness down through the chassis. It sounds as if the wire has gotten chafed where it passes through/into or out of the chassis.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

:) Welcome from southeast Connecticut. Happy and safe camping. Glad you stopped by PopUpPortal. [CP]
    [​IMG]

4. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Sounds as a little mouse has chewed his way into the wire harness.

What I would do is do a continuity check from the harness to the light fixture on all contact points. If you have continuity, then the wire is good, no continuity, bad wire.

PM me if you need help with doing this test.

5. pcgeekess

pcgeekess New Member

I am not a wire expert but this happened to my 1995 Starcraft 4 pin. No bad wires visible. There was a fuse, cylinder type, like the ones in Xmas light plugs that never work when you change them, except bigger. It was taped over and it had come loose. Mine was near the converter. Maybe that will help someone because I had no idea that it was there for 3 years.

6. xshield

xshield New Member

Have you opened of each lights and examined the sockets for corrosion/bad connection? I agree with the others there must be a break in continuity somewhere if all looks good. Is the TV plug pushing a signal?