Noaa Weather Radio warned of Flash Flood about 2 am! Would yours be on then?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by LynnAllen02, Jun 13, 2010.

1. LynnAllen02

LynnAllen02 Active Member

I have a Noaa Weather Radio,
    I bring it camping,
    I set it for the local weather of where I am camping,
    I turn it on every day for the weather,
    then I turn it off
    I do not use the warning system unless the weather looks very funny!
    I would have died in Arkansas with no warning!

The reason I don't leave it on is because the alarms are so loud and sqwawky and quite often for places hours away from where I am and nothing to do with me. It would wake me and all my neighbors for no good reason!

How many of you do the same, and should I be rethinking this?

Lynn

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

No, my radio would not have been on at 2 AM. I couldn't possibly sleep with a radio going. Like you, I turn it on for an update when I see something questionable, then turn it off. (I don't like man-made sounds at my campsite anyway -- just the sounds of nature.) I wouldn't worry about "rethinking" your practice. When you look at this case statistically, they odds of you being in such a situation are extremely slim.

3. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

I check the 7 day forecast before we go and then when at the campsite will turn on the weather radio for an update if the weather looks like it will get nasty. I also would not have had it on at 2 am because of the alarms that go off for places far away from where we are at.

4. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Hi,

If you get a weather radio that has the SAME feature, you can set it for the area you are in and it stays on 'standby'. When an alert goes out for your area, the radio turns on, sounds an alarm and warning. When donw, it goes back to standby until another alert comes out. This is really great in areas that concentrated storms, tornados, etc. can pop up without a whole lot of warning. The protection is well work the $30.00!!!

5. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

I'd rethink it.... ours is always on here at home, and it will be while camping too.

6. aimblkjak21

aimblkjak21 New Member

Ours is always on standby with SAME technology. We are right on the border of two counties so we have it go off for either of those. We bring it camping and have it set for the county we are in on standby. I've been in two tornados in my life and know how important advance warning is. I also am a member of Skywarn and get the e-mail updates on my phone of hazardous weather in the area. Knowledge is power.

7. LynnAllen02

But won't it wake up the neighbors in the night for false alarms?

Lynn

8. dupreet

dupreet New Member

With the SAME "filtering", you only get warnings for your immediate area.....ones you and your neighbors probably need to hear! The unit I have has a volume control, and if it is a real issue, you could wrap the sucker in a towel to lower the alert tone.

To me, a little annoyance to avoid a tragedy like the one in Arkansas is okay.

9. LynnAllen02

I too have the SAME technology, camp often in the Adirondacks and the Catskills, those counties are really big...and I do get false alarms, flash floods or thunderstorms an hour away etc.

Thus I stopped leaving it on at night or when I left the camper. Then I shaped to only turning it on when I wanted it.

I guess if it really is an emergency it is a good thing if it wakes the neighbors, but if it is a false alarm...oy!

Lynn

10. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

There are associated risks with about anything one gets into ... hunting, fishing, hiking, (sky diving .. just had to throw that one in!), towing a camper on the highway, camping, camp fires out of control ... and the farther back into the boonies the more isolated one might get and even more risk of no help close by. The possibilities for a disaster are endless. But I choose to be exposed to a certain amount of risk for the joys of being outside enjoying nature. Now if the weather looks bad before I ever leave home I might very well consider postponing. Terrible about those tragedies over in Arkansas, I've camped and fished over that way (the White River and Bull Shoals C/G). Some things are simply unpredictable to the extent they occurred. Having camped many a night streamside, heavy rain and flash flooding has always been a concern of mine. A couple of the NFS C/G's I stay at have a notice on their bulletin board about such possibilities.

Usually I get the local weather news from an AM/FM radio and if there are bad weather possibilities I'll drag out the Noaa radio. AND make sure things are secured ... and maybe even taking down the awning, or at least making sure it's really secured well. I've been caught in some weather fronts that have brought high winds, hail, sleet, snow and much rain and lightning. Sometimes about the best you can do is make your own contingency plans of "what if".

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have to agree with Flyfisherman. We are never completely safe. We run a risk every time we drive a car or cross a street. The trick is to be knowledgeable about the risks incurred in an activity and make reasonable preparations for them. Be prudent but have fun. Hey, even staying home isn't perfectly safe. A read an article a few years ago about a woman who was killed in her bed by a meteorite that crashed through her roof.

12. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

My NOAA weather radio also has the SAME filtering and I can adjust the alert volume, ect. But here in TX most counties are REALLY big. The largest county here is over 6,200 sq. miles, heck we even have a single ranch here (King Ranch) that is larger than the entire state of Rhode Island.

So the weather alerts can sometimes tend to be from a location far off from where you actually are, resulting in a false alarm even though you are within the same county as the severe weather. This is why I would not have had my NOAA radio alerts on at 2am if the weather seemed "OK" when I went to bed. That being said, I still bring the NOAA radio with me on every trip in case the weather is bad where I am actually at.

13. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

There is only so much you can do. The "risk'' is always there, earthquake, floods, wild fire, etc. You do what you can to prepare and hope for the best. 99.9999% of the time nothing will happen. So why worry. I won't.

14. Tomminny

Tomminny 2004 Jayco Qwest 10K

I have a SAME radio that I leave on Alert mode. If something comes across for your area, it will turn on and give you the warning.

15. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

We only camped in one place where I could not get cell phone service...Misson Tejas SP in Texas. But, we have a NOAA weather and I turned it on because it rained on us all the way up to the campground and it continued to rain cats and dogs as we set up. I tuned it in to the local area and we had no problems. Luckily the campground had good drainage with all the rolling hills so we didn't have to worry much about flash flooding. I have internet on my phone including radar and check the weather daily. If we go to a campground we've not been to before, I will go to AT & T's website beforehand and look at the area we will be camping in to see whether or not I'll have cell service. I'd hate to be away from home and a hurricane brew up and we not know it!! So, I check weather for the area we're camping in and during hurricane season, I keep an eye on the weather back home. :)

16. Oysterpot

Oysterpot New Member

Yup Have the NOAA, and use it. Wife won't let me not use it. Camped for years without it. Turn everything down, and muffle so it won't disturb the neighbors, but odds are they have one also. Nothing wrong with alerting your neighbors, if they have a problem, they can let you know. Frankly I would rather be disturbed than dead!

17. jcridge

jcridge New Member

No, we rarely have ours on unless there is already the possibility of incement weather. The last thing we would ever think of while camping is a flash flood ( unless we were camping in an area that was know to have them ).

18. pmikeyd

pmikeyd New Member

I've see firsthand the importance of early warning of life-threatening weather. I have a SAME equipped NOAA weather radio and it is on ANY time there is even a slight chance of severe weather or heavy rain. I'll apologize now if it wakes you up if we are nearby in a campground and you can thank me later if it saves your life. :). I'm not only responsible for my own safety but that of my DW and two DD's and will do what I feel is necessary to insure their safety.