Nolan Lake SP campground - any recent feedback?

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by alabasterjar, Feb 2, 2019.

1. alabasterjar

alabasterjar Member

Planning a mid-May trip to the Mammoth Cave area with the family. I'm curious if there are any recent reviews of the park and campground.

Planning to visit Mammoth Cave, of course, but also interested in some of the regional Civil War history. Any suggestions?

2. alabasterjar

alabasterjar Member

Well, after spending a week at Nolin Lake State Park Campground, I'll reply to my question! [:D]

The park is really nothing more than a boat ramp, 50 or so campsites and a beach (more on that later). The "improved" sites included 30/50 amp hookups and water. We visited in early May, during the week, and the campground was probably at least half full or more the entire week. I would imagine sites are probably hard to come by in the peak season. Nolin River SP is 20-45 minutes from Mammoth Cave, depending on how busy the Green River Ferry is.

The campground itself is clean and reasonably shaded. There is one set of bathrooms and showers centrally located in the campground. This building also includes a pair of washing machines & dryers. Park staff visit the restroom maybe once a day to restock supplies & clean.

Ice & firewood can be purchased at the campground gatehouse, when it's open - maybe... DW went to grab a bundle of firewood about an hour before the posted close time of the gatehouse. The attendant claimed he had already closed out his register & couldn't possibly complete the sale. My wife offered exact change & the attendant decided he could ring it in the following day (yeah, right). It's a good 20 minute drive to a store, so come with what you need.

Let's talk about the beach. It was 85, sunny & humid, and with four kids under 13, we were excited to be able to cool off at the beach. The afternoon we got there, DW took the kids down to the beach to burn off some of the stored energy from traveling. After about 15 minutes in, a park employee came down & told DW "you all can't be in the water, the beach is closed". DW is a strict rule follower, so she replied, "oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize it closed this early, what time does it open tomorrow?" The park employee responded "it ain't open 'til Memorial Day weekend". :wink: Curious, DW asked, "oh, is that when you have Life guards?" PE replied "no, we don't have Life guards." :mad: seriously? I could understand it if the policy was no swimming without a life guard present, but no life guard ever? WTF???

Would we go back? Yeah, I guess we would, given its proximity to Mammoth Cave, and the relatively limited camping available in the area. Camping is available at Mammoth Cave and at some nearby ACE sites, I believe, but federal land comes with 2nd A issues; rights denied. No thank you.

Rusty2192, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.