Nomad Camping

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by kjcamper, Aug 7, 2011.

1. kjcamper

kjcamper Member

Anyone ever just take off on a Saturday morning and drive for 3 to 4 hours, find a campground, stay a few days, take off and find another campground 3 to 4 hrs down the road, No Reservations? Do this for a week or 2? :)

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Yes, off season. You can do it. [8D]

3. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

That was our plan on our recent vacation , we flipped a coin to decide what direction we were heading to start off. It's very relaxing not to have an agenda the only thing we had to worry about was the day we had to be home . We stayed at 5 different camps in 16 days , I wish I could travel the country that way. Someday !

4. poncho62

poncho62 New Member

I am doing it right now......staying in a campground near 1000 islands Ontario........tomorrow, we take off toward Ottawa and North Bay Ont.......where we stop, we will decide tomorrow afternoon

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We used to do this all the time pre-internet days. We just took the Woodalls and hoped for the best.

Now that I can see pics of everything online, I plan everything just to be sure we always have spots at the best places.

Maybe years from now, when we have no responsibilities, we'll try the gypsy method again.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I've left the house without a clue as to where I was going and always found a spot, usually a very good spot. When I go on my 4-6 week trips I have some places in mind that I definitely want to hit but the in-betweens are totally open. So is the amount of time I stay in each place. No reservations and no schedules. There have been many mornings on those trips when I had no idea where I'd be camping that night. I characterize it as being like a feather on the wind. It is a very liberating way to travel.

7. matwiyj

matwiyj Active Member

That is my favorite way to travel. I don't need hook-ups and usually only travel 4-5 hours a day, even cross-country. Even if a campground is totally full (very rare) it's still early enough in the day to find another one. I have a young family so we always look for the KOA or similar places with pool/playground, etc... and they're pretty easy to find. The worst that can happen is you have to shack-up in a motel for the night.

8. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Years ago we were traveling up in northern California for a couple of weeks. One day we found the perfect campsite ( you know the kind: with tall pine trees, trout stream, swimming, few other campers, and perfect weather) stayed for a couple of days. Heaven!
    Decided to move on, packed up everything, crying to leave.... Well, drove (no kidding about 2 miles) down the road and found another campsite even more better (would'nt have believed that even possible).
    Still talk about those few days in northern California Heaven.

9. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

My favorite way to travel! [:D] DW picks a direction, I pick a route & we find what we can find. The pick up has a great trunk for antique finds. [LOL]

10. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Yes....but primarily NFSCGs or boondocking. Unfortunately, haven't been able to take that much time in awhile though. But we do regularly take off on a spur of the moment....we'll decide on a Wed or something that we feel like getting out of town for the weekend....I'll get everything packed and prepped by Thurs night and we just hitch up when we get home from work on a Friday.

11. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

No, but that sounds very appealing :) Someday after Peter retires and the boys are well started with their lives, I would love to do that :)

12. NYgranny

NYgranny New Member

We did this going cross-country about 20 years ago. This was before Reserve America came into the picture. Most parks seemed to be first-come, first-serve. We camped in several National parks and a few state parks. We had a great time. We didn't have a pup then--DH and I slept in the back of the van, and the 2 boys were in a 4-man tent. In 4 weeks after leaving BIL's place in NC, we spent only 2 nights in motels (one due to car trouble, one because of severe thunder storms), and a couple of days with family in Washington State. I'd LOVE to do this again with the pup; but I think I'd make reservations this time, just to make sure!

13. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

We were talking about this on a recent "non camping" roadtrip. Thought it would cool to get on a highway and drive for 5 or so hours and pick a campground, It seems that you don't have to drive far on any roadway before seeing a campground sign. If you should drive to campground that you don't like, well then drive to the next. I think we will do it, maybe in the fall.

14. poncho62

poncho62 New Member

Just set up in a place on the Ottawa River.....not really sure exactly where we are...about 1/2 way betweem Pembroke and Mattawa Ontario.....nice campground, $30..

15. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We are doing that this Friday. Heading west to the Utah deserts for three weeks. No reservations, no plans. We don't even know which states we're driving through to get there from Tennessee (though we've pretty much scratched off Delaware). Don't know where we're staying the first, the second night, any night. (Waiting to look at the temps first; if it's still triple digits in Oklahoma, might find an alternate route, like northern Manitoba or something.) We'll be on the move quite often (one of the joys of having an a-frame pup is that we can set up and take down in just a couple of minutes). We have some general ideas of things we'd like to see (the Henry Mountains, the Strike Valley, Hatch Point) and have a pretty good concept of our plans (boondocking mostly on BLM lands, avoiding campgrounds and people as much as possible), and we know a few places we'd like to do some hiking and canyoneering, but this is like most of our trips, pretty much flying by the seat of our pants.

In days past, we used to carefully make reservations, have our day itineraries worked out well in advance, know where we had to be when, etc. But since we threw out the planners and started just heading out, we've found our trips are so much more rewarding. There's a big sense of relief not having reservations. If we are enjoying ourselves somewhere, or discover something really interesting along the way, we don't have the stress of feeling we have to skip it and drive on because we have a campsite reserved for the evening. Instead, we can relax and just stay where we like, or start looking for an alternative site in mid-afternoon. We've traveled like this in many states and have never had a problem. It's just so much less stressful not being hampered by reservations and plans. We enjoy ourselves so much more than we did on those carefully planned trips.

It's not to say we don't plan at all; we've actually been pouring over BLM maps, reading reviews of forests and camping areas, devouring trail guides, making out menus, and looking at possible routes for months now. Planning ahead is a lot of the fun. But after a point, where your plans start to restrict you and tie your hands, they become encumberances. We can hardly wait for this weekend so we can cut loose and just head out to enjoy ourselves. It's the best sort of travel experience we know.

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

EXACTLY!

17. cico7

cico7 Friend request denied.

i did this in canada once and was carried off by the mosquitos. they set my
    direction.. it was 4th of july weekend and it snowed the 5th or 6th.

18. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Ooooh that sounds fun Travelhoveler.....

Of course, this would also depend on where you're driving. One can easily spend hours on the interstate here in New Mexico and you may only see a gas station and a Tasty Freeze (officially qualifies as a town in NM [;)]) with a sign telling you the next available facilities 300 miles away.

Converseley, when we go back east to visit the SIL and BIL, we have about a 2-3 hour drive from the airport to their house.....the first time I did this (had never been back east), I had a ahrd time figuring out where a city/town started and ended and where another one started/ended because it was just like driving through one big city the whole way.

19. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Thanks, Wolf. We may end up in some of your recently reopened national forests. Still haven't decided our route, but we may swing across the north end of the Land of Enchantment.

20. Shandygaff

Shandygaff New Member

Sounds like fun! Now how do I go about talking DW, who doesn't like an empty campground (much less a 'boondock'), into such a thing? hmmmmm..... [:!]