non camping folk

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by rambus, Jul 22, 2013.

1. rambus

rambus Member

As a rule when I stay at any CG I get as far away from any cabins or rental campers they might have. It just seems to me they fill up with non camping folk who have no idea how to act, much less how far sound travels, in a campground. This past week I was thankfully 200 yards away from the cabins when 7 car fulls of non campers piled into 4 cabins and chaos ensued. Yelling, loud music, car alarms etc. filled the air. It took several trips from the CG staff before they finally got a clue, some of them never did get it.
    Has anyone else had the same experience or is it just me?

2. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

No... but it seems to me that 200 feet isn't near far enough away from that crew.

3. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Seems like there's more and more of these types of people all the time.

4. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

Our local county parks offer a camping class. Camp etiquette is taught as well as how to cook, fire building, clothing, food safety, cleanliness, etc. if you make it to all of the classes it ends with an overnight campout at one of the local county park group campsites with the class. Should put advertisements up for this at cabins and resorts in the area.

Although depending on how you were raised I have found there is a lot of diversity on what people think is appropriate and some feel that your vehicles battery dying because they left loud music on all night cause they were too drunk and singing to loud is what camping is about and how to get a jump from one of the cars or campers is the fun of camping.

5. Indy

Indy Member

I agree, and yet somewhere I'm thinking some tent campers are saying the same about RV-ers rolling in and setting up AC & refrigerators & such. I don't prefer to be next to big monstrous motorhomes, either, because I don't think they're "doing it right" most of the time. And yet when I called to get last minute beach reservations at an RV park because the state park was full, the reservation desk said ... "ohhhh, a pop-up?" (insert nasal derision) ... "no, sweetie, we don't allow pop-up campers in this park". What. Ever.

I guess... to each his own. It's hard dealing with other people in close proximity when I really just want the whole dang park to myself! lol.

6. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

We should make a pup only park...

7. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

8. shawnba

shawnba Shitters full!!!

i kind of giggle when I hear of offering a camping class but it makes sense. Most people that I know have more than enough outdoors knowledge and common sense not to upset your neighbours at a campground. I grew up camping most of my life every summer from tent to trailer and I understand what its like from all sides. But I am finding that more and more of our youth just arent interested in camping like we were. If its not a HOJO, or Holiday Inn, than its not a vacation kind of thing!!...lol

Camping to our youth is a reason to drink..party and it should give them a free pass. There is a story in our paper here not camping related but we have had problems with our college and partying. I mean burning cop cars, fences and entire blocks of student housing was involved. It made news all over the world. Now a kid had a party and was charged $250 for noise violations but now complains that he cant afford food as he is just a student. How much was the keg...all the beer that was drunk to get them to that point....our youth only seem to care once it affects them.

9. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

rambus, I agree with the other post, 200 yards wouldn't be far enough with all the commotion! We try to stay away from sites that are near cabins but have been put on sites near because of nothing else is available. Put me in the woods with the other Pups, please.

Campit

10. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

This is a cool idea. I have a friend that I camp with on occasion, he's a great guy but for some reason he finds it necessary to throw his empty cans or bottles into the fire. He's been camping for years and still doesn't know any better. I have said something to him in the past but he still does it :( I've just decided that I can't change him so I just make sure to clean the debris out of the fire ring before we leave.

11. oeagleo

oeagleo Caching, and Photography!

I think this may be "old school", I remember as a kid the fire pit also served as the garbage pit, everything went in there to be burned, excess food, paper plates, "stuff" that would burn, and it was the lowest person on the totem pole's job to clean out the fire pit before OUR campfire was built, and, if it was cool enough, before we left, we'd clean out the cans, but I don't remember bottles in there.. This has since moved into the "archived memories" category, but I do remember it happening say, 50 years ago...

However, when we were lucky enough to go into an actual "campground", (they cost money, ya know, and money was tight), we'd toss the cans, bottles, and "hard" garbage into the dumpster or garbage cans that usually were either in the campsite, or a short walk away...

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Old school or not, why would anyone toss things that won't burn into the fire? They had trash bags back then. I know -- I'm old and I was there.

13. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I agree, why toss things that won't burn into the campfire? Matter of fact, why toss anything into the campfire to burn except wood? That also goes to say about all the trash on our roadsides too. Some people are too trifling to dispose of trash properly anymore! Just saying.

Campit

14. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Better double up the amount of bathrooms! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]