non-Camping Related Generator Question

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Kampus, Apr 9, 2019.

How do you store a generator long term?

1. Run dry and refuel only when it is needed.

21.1%
  2. Keep fueled with stabilized fuel and excercise frequently

63.2%
  3. Other

15.8%
  1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We use seafoam as a stabilizer, to keep a fuel problem from showing up in the 1st place. There are other chemicals that work better for cleaning systems up...

2. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yea , the fule absorbes water , thats not so good for small engines. Eaither way and i say your good. My story is my brother put stable in a small plow at the dpw when it was decommissioned. Five years later and a blizzard cane through. They needed the extra plow, it started up right away, sat outside for 5 years. So , i never used seafoam, but stable works.

4. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Whatever additives you choose, the very best thing you can do is run only ethanol free gas in small engines. Especially if they will likely sit unused for longer periods of time.. Like generators. Ethanol free gas, or recreational gas is slightly more expensive, but worth it. I will never go back to storing regular gas. I don't care how much stabilizer you use, ethanol gas just doesn't last.

xxxapache likes this.
  5. Grousetales

Grousetales New Member

I always shut off the fuel petcock and run the carbs dry. On a related note, you should also consider rust formation in your fuel tank. Having an empty plastic tank is fine, but an empty metal tank will likely start rusting on the inside of the tank. My general rule for engine storage is anything with a metal tank gets stored with a full tank of gas (stabilized). Plastic tanks can be left empty. I learned this lesson the hard way on a motorcycle that was stored with an empty tank for a few years.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

People always say this, but ethanol-free gas is either impossible or very hard (not sure which) to find in Minnesota, so I just use the regular cheap stuff. As I said above, with sta-bil, I've never had fuel problems in any of my small engines. I've been doing this since 1996.

xxxapache likes this.
  7. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Sta-bil is the only stuff I use. Not really sure what else is available around here, I just buy the sta-bil when its on sale and go with that. I've used it for probably close to 30 years, and its always worked good for me, so why change when you have a proven method of doing things. I've never let anything sit for 5 years, but it seems like it worked for your brother.

xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I do not use ethanol gas in any of my small engines, The non ethanol gas does cost more BUT if you figure in the price for the chemical to remove the water etc from the ethanol it comes out about even on price. I keep both gens. fueled and exercise about once a month. In Oct they really got a workout after Hurricane Michael came thru and we were without electricity for 9 days. The gens never missed a beat.

Matt Benoit likes this.
  9. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Using the web site pure-gas.org I was able to find find gas stations in your town (Plymouth Minnesota) that sell 91 octane ethanol free gas. It's easy to find when you know where to look...
    Screenshot_20190413-222935.jpg
    https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. I didn't realize 91 octane meant "ethanol free". One of my vehicles requires 91 so I guess I use it there lol. But I've had zero issues running 'the cheap stuff' in all of my small engines for over 2 decades so I don't see a good reason to change.

11. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

91 octane doesn't necessarily mean ethanol free, but distributors who sell ethanol free fuel sell it to the gas stations at 91 octane.

tfischer likes this.