Non-park campground options

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by Jnelson41, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Jnelson41

Jnelson41 New Member

Looking for some non-park options for a guys weekend this spring or summer. My son is turning 3 and id like to start the tradition of a little guys-getaway with his uncles, cousins and grandfathers. All families have campers of some sort, from popups to 30ft tow behinds, so locations with relatively smooth forest roads would be ideal. We are coming from the Denver area, so somewhere along the front range, within a few hours would be best. Thanks!

-Jeff

2. Fless

Fless Active Member

@Jnelson41, take a look at Bruno Gulch Rd, off of Guanella Pass on the Grant (US 285) side.
    http://www.hikercentral.com/campmaps/134488map.html

I haven't been up there in 4 or 5 years, but back then they allowed dispersed and group camping along the road (usually about 1/2 mile West of Guanella Pass Rd). There are some nice wide spots and a lot of folks have group fun up there at 9700' elevation. Not sure about campfires. Quite a few ATVs if I recall correctly, so it might get a bit noisy. Suggest you do a recon in late spring to check it out before making your plans.
    _

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Great idea....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strawhouse and kcsa75 like this.
  4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

5. Fless

Fless Active Member

Ahhh, looks like you've been there! Lots of willows on the pass.
    _

6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Ran across it by mistake headed back to MI from Moab, the year before I moved to Moab. Ran into a total backup from just west of Georgetown that I found out later went into Denver. So I jumped off at Georgetown and just wondered around through the pass, to (I believe) Elkhorn Road and somehow made it to 24 then into Colorado Springs. Best detour I have ever taken.

7. Fless

Fless Active Member

Yes, pretty country. On that side of the pass I think they've paved the road. Like I said, it's been a while since I've been up there (camped at Burning Bear CG) but I think some of the Grant side of the pass is still gravel. Not a bad road though.

I hate it that most of the campgrounds up there close right after Labor Day. They could stay open at least another month, depending on the weather. Even if they weren't "open" they should leave the gates open so people could use them.

A buddy of mine has a Hummer (the original, diesel) and although the pass road was closed we went up there one February to snowshoe and went all the way to the top of Bierstadt Peak (>14,000 ft). That was a beautiful day!
    _

8. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

The road is completely paved now I believe the only camping is now in a designated campground.