Norcold refrigerator unable to maintain flame

wolfman13

Aug 13, 2014
Initially wasn't able to get a flame. Cleaned the burner, tested the thermocouple with the meter and I got a flame. New problem was the flame only lasted less than a minute. Decided maybe it was the thermocouple and just finished replacing it. Now it's worse. It lights, but only until I release the high cool gas valve, and immediately goes out. I tried on low gas also. The thermocouple seemed to thread on ok. Is this a regulator issue? At the tank or is there one underneath? Any other ideas?

wolfman13

Aug 13, 2014
It’s a 2001 Coleman Utah, the frig is the 322/323 model. I had a good visual of the flame, was impressed how much bigger with a cleaned burner. Unfortunately, very brief. Also, I wasn’t able to figure out how to delete my duplicate post under cooling systems, so I had emailed the site for directions

wolfman13

Aug 13, 2014
I got the thermocouple off of Amazon, Norcold Inc. I don't imagine replacing the control valve is easy. Just tried again after opening the LP tanks ever so slowly. Same result.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Could the thermocouple be bent , so its not in the corect spot? Or you could have gotten a bad one?

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
On my 323 I had problems with the gas flowing too strong. The flame would lift off the burner. I would have to turn it down and check it for a couple of days until it settled down. After a couple days it would be fine..

wolfman13

Aug 13, 2014
Still can't figure it out, may have to take it in next week. I can't reach in enough to the orange leads to test the control valve. May just replace it but I think they're on back order. Could this be a regulator issue? Frig continues to burn good until I let go of the gas button. 322/323 model

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Still can't figure it out, may have to take it in next week. I can't reach in enough to the orange leads to test the control valve. May just replace it but I think they're on back order. Could this be a regulator issue? Frig continues to burn good until I let go of the gas button. 322/323 model
Sounds like a thermocouple issue since it will burn fine when you hold in the gas button. Holding in the button bypasses the thermocouple. The thermocouple acts as a safety to only keep the gas on if a flame is present. Check that the thermocouple is about 1/2" into the flame. If you have a voltmeter that will measure millivolts you should see about 30mV across the leads of the thermocouple. (If there is only one lead check between that and ground)

wolfman13

Aug 13, 2014
Sounds like a thermocouple issue since it will burn fine when you hold in the gas button. Holding in the button bypasses the thermocouple. The thermocouple acts as a safety to only keep the gas on if a flame is present. Check that the thermocouple is about 1/2" into the flame. If you have a voltmeter that will measure millivolts you should see about 30mV across the leads of the thermocouple. (If there is only one lead check between that and ground)
The thermocouple was actually not pushed in far enough, but unfortunately that didn’t fix the problem. I’ll try to attach a picture. How should I check the thermocouple? I don’t understand about the leads. Flame off or on? Would be a two person job for me. I tried to be careful threading in the new one. Can it be tested in place? I know you can pull it and heat it up and test them. Thanks
upload_2021-10-22_18-31-14-jpeg.79670

Last edited:

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
It has to heat up also, if you dont hold the button down long enough, it will just go out. The flame is small, so barely noticable.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
The thermocouple was actually not pushed in far enough, but unfortunately that didn’t fix the problem. I’ll try to attach a picture. How should I check the thermocouple? I don’t understand about the leads. Flame off or on? Would be a two person job for me. I tried to be careful threading in the new one. Can it be tested in place? I know you can pull it and heat it up and test them. Thanks
upload_2021-10-22_18-31-14-jpeg.79670
With your type of fridge it looks like the thermocouple is the type that is threaded rather than having leads as mine is. You'll have to unthread the connection end and check between the copper tube and the end. Probably easiest to remove the whole thing and bench test it. Apply a flame to the thermocouple for about and minute and if you dont exceed 25mV it needs replacing.

UpNorth-John

Sep 4, 2010
If the Thermocouple checks out, I would check the propane regulator. When I had issues with my heater (and stove) - it ended up being a faulty regulator at the tank. Then make sure the pilot "jet" isn't clogged with something giving you a smaller flame (spiders love to play around propane systems).

Good luck.

Latest posts