North Carolina Camping Crap

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by Mickeyrv, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] [HYC] I just finished talking to the North Carolina Division of State Parks. Did you know

1- They close and lock the gates at 8 pm and if your late then you are locked out with no recourse.
    2- If you park outside the gate and walk to your camper your TV will be towed away and you will be fined.
    3- Their are no exceptions to the above rules.
    They also stated that camping trailers can NOT be left un-attended for longer than 12 hours.

Talk about a bunch of BS.

Therefore, My wife and I have decided to fly to Raleigh to visit our NEW grandson along with our son and his wife.

Screw NC state parks and their rules.

2. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

Have you though about just camping in a different place than a state park. I know that the lock out rules suck but they have to do that now because people come thru at night with bad intentions. I think the parking outside the gate and have your tv towed is also bs.

3. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Having lived and camped in NC for a long time, I can say unless that recently happened, that's just not true for all parks. Yes, the do lock up a gate, but every place I've been to, campers are given the gate combination when checking in.

As I recall, most were just the date the week began such as 0623 (this current week).

Sorry you're having such a problem with them. NC's state parks were and are some of my favorites in the US.

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I have been camping in NC State Parks for 30 years and has always been that way although I have never heard of cars being towed. Never gotten a combination and the Superintendent of one of the Parks I frequented often, only lived 10 miles away from my house and we saw each other just about every time he came home. He was cheering me on the ballfields from about when I was 10 years old.

5. speckhunter80

6. speckhunter80

BTW, May thru August the gates close at 9:00 at Jordan and not 8:00

7. 5whiskey

5whiskey New Member

I have never heard of anybody being towed. Twice in the past year, we have had people in our group or a site neighbor who parked near the gate and walked/hitched a ride in. Vehicle was still there in the AM.

That is always an option if you want to catch fireworks or a movie, etc.

8. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm. GA parks locked up, BUT there was a little parking area outside the gate if you got locked out. As long as you had your permit in the window, you could park in the little lot. This allowed folks to leave a vehicle outside the gate in case of emergency. We liked that system. That was prior to PUP.

9. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

The gates lock at 9 during the summer, exit allowed only for emergencies by contacting a camphost.

I do know that at Jordan Lale, Poplar Point you cannot park outside the gates - signs clearly stating this. I believe at Rolling View at Falls Lake, you can park outside the gate.

There are not any decent camping options near Raleigh other than the State Parks - please chime in if there are as I'd love to have other choices.

There is a KOA in Smithfield and several private campgrounds in Moncure, Dickens RV Park is one.

Pam

10. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

I know your pain, last year we were 45min late for the gate at Medoc Mountain SP, locked up tight, gate closed @ 8pm, I could have sworn it was 9pm ( Jordan Lake screwed me up )

There is a small RV park just east of Garner NC on Hwy 70, just up from Camping World (not affiliated AFAIK ), more of a working park, a lot of nice rigs in there at times, I think at least one NC State Rep has a 5'er in there as well.

11. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

That would be totally unacceptable to us. I totally understand your frustration. I realize many parks lock gates at night, which is a debate in and of itself, but 8:00? Good grief. That's unbelievably early! It would not be unusual for a person to get off work and drive a couple of hours to a campground, while maybe stopping for a bite to eat on the way. And at that hour they could very well arrive too late to get in. Ridiculous.

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I like locked gates to prevent people from coming in at 2:00 AM and making a ruckus while they set up. But, I agree that 8:00 PM is too early to close the gate. It ought to be when quiet hours start at 10:00 PM.

13. presyoung

presyoung New Member

Thanks for the warning. I was looking forward to.camping in the outer banks this year or next. It is around 13 hours to drive thereso I will have to investigate a little more. Looks like a private or NP for us. We spend most of the day at beaches, rivers, trails and such.

14. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

keep in mind the 2 NP campgrounds on OBX are NON Electric, they have water in a central location in each loop, bathrooms with hot and cold and flush toilets, but COLD shower house in the middle of the loop ( near the water spout ) Generators can only be run until quiet time ( 10pm ) and each has a no generator loop as well.

several private campgrounds to choose from up and down the coast .

15. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] [HYC]
    The wife and I got airline tickets and flew to Morrisville N.C. just a little west of the Raleigh/Durham airport. We decided not to take our camper due to the strict rules in that area of N.C. The closest non SP was about 30 miles away and I did not want to drive 60 miles round trip every day for 7 days then drive over 700 miles to come home at the end of the week. Our grandson is only 3 1/2 weeks old as of July 7, 2013 and we wanted to spend time with him. We are seriously considering a S.C. SP close to Myrtle Beach, before the end on the 13 season. The closest N.C. SP to our destination was William B. Umstead SP. They have NO
    water, electric, sewage, or a dump station, but a whole lot of crazy rules. The next closest park was approx. 30 miles away (SP)
    with the same stupid rules and regulations. I was told the rules by a NC SP person when I called to inquire about the camping.
    Lock up at 8pm every day. Tow and Ticket those not in the park but parked outside the locked gate. NO access after gate is locked. Campers left un attended for 12 hours or more will be ticketed. That is a whole lot of Bull **** for me to swallow, when Im
    paying to rent the space.

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Don't forget y'all...there are a few ACOE campgrounds around also and their rules are in place, but WAY WAY looser! Visitors can stay until 10pm, gates lowered at 11pm, no re-entry but no warning of getting towed either. I stay at one on Philpott Lake and LOVE it!! If only they'd bring the lake back up so I could fish from the lower boat ramp!!!

[:D]

17. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

That would be reasonable

18. samandemsmommy

samandemsmommy New Member

We live in NC and love our state parks! I think it's great they lock the gate to keep others who are not camping out for the evening. We are always there before gate closes, so it's never been a problem for us- we leave in plenty enough time to get there before that. There are some great parks in NC. So, hate for you to say screw NC state parks before you have ever given them a chance. Maybe someday you will try them out and love them. South Mountain State Park is one of our very favorites.

and bell likes this.
  19. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I don't think the issue is so much with the locked gates as much as with the time that they're locked: 8:00pm. Like I said, that is possibly way too early for campers to have to get there after a work day. Many times campers are vacationers and distance travelers and they like to use a campground as a "base camp". They like to go out for the day discovering the nearby scenery, or attending a local event, and they could easily be out past 8:00. A 10:00 time certainly seems more reasonable. It's fortunate that it's never been a problem for you, but for others it may be - and it might be for a very valid reason, not necessarily anything sinister.

Is any other State this restrictive?

20. horrocks family

horrocks family Boone, NC

FWIW, we just stayed at Crosswinds at Jordan Lake for the 4th of July and the gates closed at 9, not 8. We thought it was dumb since we couldn't go out and see any fireworks, but we knew it going in. Pros and cons to each side, I suppose.

PS -- Congrats on the new grandson! :)