North Carolina Camping Crap

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by Mickeyrv, Jun 26, 2013.

1. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Did you know that you can not bring in any alcohol beverages in the park. If they think you have alcohol, they will inspect you fridge and coolers. There is a very hefty fine like $1,000 to 1,500. Also, that the park rangers are officers of law and carry guns.

I think the gates are locked from 9PM to 8AM

But did you also know, you don't have to camp at the park if you don't like the rules??

2. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

So, by choosing to go camping in NC we give up our 4th Amendment rights prohibiting the government from conducting warrantless searches? Any lawyers out there?

3. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

OMG, you people are trying to make out that NC Park Rangers are Nazis crashing down your door. Any law enforcement officer be it in NC or MN or OH can conduct a warrantless search whenever they have probable cause that a crime is being committed and evidence of that crime will disappear while they wait for a warrant or whenever they see in plain view evidence of the crime. That said if you don't act like a stupid drunk by hollering, cranking up your music, stumble around and drink from a visible beer can/bottle there gonna leave you alone.

4. fivestoddards

fivestoddards New Member

We are local to the Raleigh area and have camped at Umstead State Park once or twice a year for 4 years with a large homeschool group (10-15 families). We ALWAYS leave several cars parked outside the gate after they are locked and have never had a problem. The park rangers would much rather our cars be there than for us to wake them up to let us out for an emergency in the middle of the night or dads having to be at work by 8 AM. There are also locals who park at the gates to run in the early AM hours. Park Rangers told us they don't tow, but they can't guarantee our cars' safety parked on the shoulder of US 70.

Camping is also available at the NC State Fairgrounds - definitely not luxury, but water and electric and just renovated bathhouses - AND close to 440 and downtown Raleigh. We have friends from Charlotte who camp here twice a year during the humungous Kids Exchange Consignment sale. They said its a place to park the PUP, not a destination in itself.

5. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Bags and packages get checked all the time to get into events, stores, stadiums, theaters, etc. Easy enough to refuse the check and not go in. It hasn't caused a Constitutional crisis yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Glad I read this thread. I am a rule follower. N.C. has too many rules for me to emjoy camping, thus is off our list.

Too many othet nice places to campÂ…

7. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

you will probably find most places have similar rules, some more lax/strict than others, most times the rules are there and only enforced if the need arises.

Unfortunately, some of the NC rangers are a little more ummm, "exuberant" in enforcing the rules ( I.E. power trip ) but I suspect that is also a variable in a lot of places too.

8. tenttrailer

Just got back from Jordan Lake, rangers flat out said park outside the gates and you will be towed. They said we might be able to park at the gas station a 1/2 - 1 mi away.

But we will not be going there again, bathrooms were outdated with short doors on showers and they were dirty.

9. tenttrailer

It one thing to be given the option when entering someplace. You don't have to let them do it, it's you option to enter.

But renting a camp site is like renting a motel room, which the courts have with held you have the same right as you own house regarding search. You have all the 4th admen right as you would at you house, unless you sign them away with the agreement you sign. At Jordan Lake, there was no signing. Every thing was taken care of through the reservations system. I don't think there is a court that would allow you to sign away your rights on a online system. I would think a real signature would be needed.

10. krinen

krinen Real Women Camp

I've been camping in NC for the last 10+ years. Mostly state parks, and mostly in the RTP area (Falls Lake, Jordan, and Kerr, which is my fav SP). I've camped individual sites as well as group.

The alcohol rule doesn't bother me, really, because I very rarely drink. IME, they don't come around and check your ice chest out of boredom or some power trip. I've only ever seen it done if you have 5-6 cars at your individual site, PLUS *loud* music during the day and/or noise after dark. If anyone complains (or they see) that a camper is obviously drunk, they *will* check your ice chest. I've seen and heard ice chests emptied, but have never seen anyone fined, though. it's just they make you pour out the liquor while they watch and warn you that if they get a complaint, you are out. They are LEOs, and not just garbage collectors.

AFA the lock-outs, again, I've never personally seen or known anyone towed. You just park right outside the gate (with your hang tag in your car) and set your alarm clock so you can be at your car to drive in when they unlock the gate.

I think, though it is all in what you are used to. It seems here we have to choose between alcohol or a fire ring. Most private places I've checked don't allow campfires, but allow alcohol. SP you can have a campfire but no booze. [CP]

Just my [2C].

11. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I question that a campsite equals a hotel room, but if that is the case, hotels restrict guests from smoking and other activities in their rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. tenttrailer

You sign an agreement when you check into a motel/hotel. Just like you sign an agreement at the camp ground. Otherwise you motel room, tent, camper, etc is you home and you are afforded the same protection of search under the 4th amendment, unless you sign away those rights.

You will see in many motel and apartments agreements, when the owners have a right to access the property (24 hr notice, emergencies, water leaks, etc). Once you sign those agreements you gave away a little of your 4th amendment. You also sign in the agreement how you will behave yourself including smoking in a hotel room, which normally will allow for them to kick you off the property.

13. john56

john56 New Member

I found out this week that Bill Plemmons RV Sales on New Bern Ave. in Raleigh, N.C. has camp sites at their location available for rental.

14. tenttrailer

This summer, there was no exception on the locked gate when we camped at jordan lake and no combo. They told us that maybe we could park about a mile from the gate at a store and walk to the gate and than walk another mile to the site. But don't park at the gate it will be towed. also the showers were dirty at jordan lake, I saw the same mess for 2 days and the showers and bathroom stalls had these short doors that anyone walking by could look over the door at you.

In the past (15 to 20 years ago) we had good experiences with NC state parks. But in the future we will not be camping at NC state parks.

15. Heritage

Heritage New Member

I agree. I like that they lock the gates.

16. mj1angier

mj1angier New Member

Just a thought, but some of the SP have boat ramps near or connected to the campgrounds. They have later/ earlier hours for their gates.

17. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

seem to me the gates keep the good people out and those with bad intenions will walk in anyhow my [2C]

18. tenttrailer

all I know it sucks. We were visiting my DD and grand kids. Figured we would camp a few miles away. Had to race back every night to get there by 8PM, it was not even dark. This was mid late June.

The CS's except right on the water were very empty, with many looking like no one had camped there in months. Wonder if they are not putting them self out of business.

We will not use the NC SP next time we do the camping to visit thing.

19. hpierce301

hpierce301 New Member

for those who will NEVER visit a NC SP again, or for the 1st time, GOOD, more room for me.

i've never had a problem parking outside the gate overnight. we got to the site late. had family drive down to the gate and pick us up, and came back and got the vehicle the next morning.

I do appreciate the fact that the place is locked up at night to keep out those that are NOT there to camp. I don't recall seeing rangers there all night to patrol for those type of people. maybe they are, but no one is being a nazi and asking for papers at midnight.

and i've had a glass of wine or 2 (3? 4?) around the campfire. we were discreet and didn't have music blasting. I have seen other have to pour out their beer because of that reason.

if you ask the rules, your are going to be told the party line. it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I love NC state parks and plan to visit many more in the future.

20. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

I heard something interesting this weekend. DW and I camped at Morrow Mountain State Park near Albemarle, NC. Yesterday, we were talking with a campsite neighbor husband and wife. They were from South Carolina, and had originally intended to come up Friday evening, but they couldn't get there by 6:00pm when the gates are locked for winter hours. They came up Saturday instead. They talked with a park ranger there at the park, and he told them that there is discussion within the state park system of keeping the gates open until 10:00 pm or so.

How accurate that is, I don't know. But it sounds like there could possibly be some changes being discussed, and maybe forthcoming.