North Carolina Outer Banks or Mountains

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by You-And-I, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Calman

Calman Member

I like both. NFS campground at Oregon Inlet and Stone Mountain SP on the BRP.

2. WNCcampingCrew

WNCcampingCrew Member

eta: Sorry. I just realized I was responding to a post in the boondocking category. The campgrounds I mentioned have water & electric. But the advice about the area is still valid.

We live in the Blue Ridge Mountains and it's a great place to live, play, camp, work...

We love to camp at Cascade Lake. http://cascadelakerecreationarea.com/ You boat over to Hooker Falls in Dupont Forest. The lake is beautiful and there's a smaller lake w/ a beach area that's fun for kids and adults. It's not boondocking, but a great spot.

It's 30 minutes from Asheville, 15 to Brevard, and 25 minutes to Hendersonville (where we live). If you like craft beer, there are several great options nearby including the brand new Sierra Nevada brewery in Mills River and Oskar Blues in Brevard.

There's plenty to do in nearby Pisgah Forest.

A lot of people camp at the Davidson River Campground at the bottom of the Blue Ridge Parkway in Pisgah. We plan to try it out during the heat of the summer, as it's much shadier than Cascade. It's also open year-round.

3. tizlaney

tizlaney New Member

I camped 3 nights (campground had electric, water, and hot showers) on Hatteras Island (Rodanthe Section) a couple years back and even though it was a full campground it was small (10-15 camper sites, 10-15 tent sites) small, quiet, and locally owned. It is on the sound side of the island, I could literally walk 8 feet from my picnic table and touch the water.

Put your bug spray on just before dark and you will love it.

http://watersportsandcampground.com/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bYW7xQpvKPMVVBdURWSkQ2UkU/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bYW7xQpvKPazNFbnNnTmc3TkU/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bYW7xQpvKPclJSUkZjY3MwWGM/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5bYW7xQpvKPUEM5VHRkQlp1OG8/view?usp=sharing

4. SR20DEN

SR20DEN New Member

There are some State Park campgrounds on the OBX that do not have hookups. I have not stayed at them because electricity is something I am unable to give up (AC).

http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

However my two favorite campgrounds are the KOA in Rodanthe (OBX) and Down by the River Campground in Pineola, NC. The elevation is about 3500 feet. Both of these places have full hookups.

http://downbytherivercampground.com/

I might be able to checkout the Mile High place if I know it'll be cold enough for me to sleep.

5. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

There are no State Parks on the NC OBX with camping facilities. The nearest State Park with camping facilities would be Pettegrew State Park. The only State Park on the true OBX is Jockey's Ridge. Fort Macon technically is on the OBX being at Atlantic Beach as is Fort Fisher being on Pleasure Island, neither of which allow camping. When folks speak of the OBX they are normally referring to the barrier islands from Cape Lookout north and more precisely those from Ocracoke Inlet north.

6. SR20DEN

SR20DEN New Member

Sorry. I don't know why i said State Parks. Clearly the link I provided is from the NPS.

7. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

8. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Yep. Cataloochee is one of my favorites. The road getting there is a trip though. I used to live in Waynesville, so I know the area well.

Here's a few pics.

[​IMG]
    Morning at Cataloochee in the Fall - majestic Elk were bugling in the distance, their hot breath fogging the air like a dragon might. Second week in October is usually peak color season there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the babbling brook right behind our campsite. I've seen anglers there trying their luck at depopulating the trout.

[​IMG]
    The road less traveled - at the very back of Cataloochee. There's a stream that parallels this road on the left, and hiking trails that wander through the mountains for miles.

Careful for the bears though, as there are a few in the area.

Chip

9. Kittyhawksurf

Kittyhawksurf Work, family, surf, eat, camp.

Well, I'm a little late to this thread. I live here at OBX (Right across the Kitty Hawk bridge). THE BEST CAMPGROUND BY FAR here is the one at Ramp 49 in Frisco. AS someone else said, there is no real boondocking. I'd be glad to give additional information on the campgrounds if anyone wants to know. There are a lot of campgrounds. And if you go to Ocracoke BRING A WHOLE LOT OF INSECT REPELLENT. It was the first time I ever saw a SWARM of mosquitos. And I have lived around a swamp for 10 years.

And it's pretty clear most of the the campers here are a bit partial to the mountains. I love them both. Definitely a different style of camping. No campfires here at the beach unless you get a permit and burn "below the high-tide line."

Off roading has been severely limited over the years and I saw someone post you can get a permit to camp in Ocracoke on the beach??? I never heard that before and I would love to see if it was true. That would be awesome if so. Not sure how I missed that tie bit of information over the last 15 years here.

10. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

Ditto the third152 on this area. We have a cabin up on Roan Mountain, and there's a great little state park down at the base, Roan Mountain State Park. And, as 152 said, Mast General Store, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, Grandfather Mountain, etc. -- there's so much to see that's close at hand. A terrific place to visit down the road from Roan Mountain is in the community of Elk Park. It's Elk River Falls, a gorgeous little hidden-away site. It's an easy hike in from the parking area. Locals jump off the top into the pool, but I wouldn't recommend it; the basin is not that deep! Also, the Appalachian Trail runs over the top of Roan Mountain, and there's nice hiking up to the Top of the Roan and Roan Mtn. Bald. Check it out!

11. ADK Explorer

ADK Explorer Member

There is boondock camping available on an island in the OBX. Portsmouth island has an abandoned village that's pretty cool to check out and overnight camping is allowed on the beach. Just make sure your TV is capable.

12. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

I love both of them

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Its mountains for us but we have to do the NC OUTER BANKS and the Myrtle Beach strip visiting family but the return trip always come back through Gatlinburg and Smoky Mtns... No all that far out of the way haha...

[​IMG]

hvac1877 likes this.
  14. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Love the Smokys we go every year and camp at 5400 feet
    DSCN3202.JPG

15. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Stay in the National Park? I find the employees there close to being nasty!

16. Brad Jackson

Brad Jackson Member

Sounds like glamping to me