North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by osuffan, May 27, 2020.

1. osuffan

osuffan New Member

We are looking for a campground that caters to pop-ups in any of the states mentioned somewhat close to the ocean or on a river or even an inland lake. It's hard to try and figure this stuff out. If anyone has any good recommendations go for it!!

2. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Off hand, I don’t think there is such a thing as popup only campgrounds. In my experience any campground that allows tt/rv camping will accommodate a popup. If you need some ideas, look at any USACE park in ga and sc, most are located on reservoirs and all of them have rv sites. Check out the campground review section of this site for specific details on individual campgrounds. There are several State park ocean front campgrounds in all three states you mention and several privately owned facilities. Again, check out the reviews section.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

A popup can go anywhere a trailer is allowed to camp in Georgia.

We've been to a lot of water based campgrounds in Georgia: Elijah Clarke State Park, Mistletoe SP, Tugaloo SP, and Don Carter SP have excellent lake water access.

jcwells92 and Orchid like this.
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I think what you may be looking for are state parks. Lots of tents and pop ups at those. Avoid RV parks. Check out the state park website for those states. There are plenty to choose from with water access.

No campground is going to cater specifically to pop ups. State parks are somewhere you will not typically be surrounded by giant rigs. Most of them were set up for tent camping back in the day, and have adapted over time with power and water. Some still don't have even that. Typically, the sites were not designed to accommodate the giant rigs that exist today.

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Now during this COVID time you may have to give places a call first. Many states are requiring self contained campers but not actually giving their definition to self contained. I have a toilet and outside shower and a jug to collect gray water, in my mind I’m self contained as I don’t rely on bathrooms, but some places may not consider me self contained because I don’t have on board gray water tanks.
    During normal times... I find you stick to public campgrounds, state parks, national parks you can camp in anything but your personal vehicle usually . Now if the site is strictly a tent site you will have to find one that is for campers and stick to their designated parking pad. Private campgrounds I’ve run accross strange rules Regarding what type of campers they allow, and Run into something equivalent to social classing. Where you may be allowed but they treat you like you are the lower class where as a class A or 5th wheel are considered upper class.

6. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Georgia state parks are open and we always see other popups, both canvas and hard sided. There are plenty of tents as well. We've camped in both NC and SC state parks and enjoyed both states. COE parks have also been good, with a great variety of campers. Not sure which, if any, are open during current pandemic.

Orchid likes this.
  7. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC Member

As mentioned earlier check the reviews area and the websites themselves. Depends on what you want to do while there. There are at least 6 state parks on inland lakes in NC and at least two near ocean state parks. That not counting National Parks or National Forest sites. Campsites are fully open here at the moment. Hospitalizations are back up so not certain how long they are going to stay open.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. We've been to Crooked River in Georgia. Buck Hall Plantation, Edisto Beach, Hunting Island, Huntington Beach, Givens Ferry, Hawes Creek, Hickory Knob, Bakers Creek, Greenwood, Chester, Collenton, Lake Jocassee, Calhoun Falls, and others in SC. All have good points.

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

The only places the I have found that prohibit PUPs are some private campgrounds. Where you are? How far you are willing to travel? Do you want hookups? Do you require showers or toilets? Do you want active or quiet out of the way? Is there a certain activity you planning while camping? The more information you give the better recommendations you will get. If you are 62 or older go to a federal site and buy a lifetime card, the savings will pay for the card quickly. Just don't loose it, they don't replace lost cards. Here's a couple sites to get you started. Camping sure has changed a lot in the last half a century.
    Federal sites.
    Recreation.gov
    US Forestry Service
    South Carolina
    State Parks
    South Carolina Forestry Commission
    Georgia
    Reserve America search for site nationwide.
    North Carolina
    State Parks

Camper054 likes this.
  10. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

NC State Parks are open and Falls and Jordan both (there are others that do as well, I've just not personally visited) have swim beach areas. However, the beach areas are currently closed. . . . So depending on what you want/need, these may not work. One of our favorite small campgrounds is Neuseway Nature Park and Campground in Kinston. Several sites back up to the river. Again, not sure if there are COVID=19 restrictions, so call to make sure there are open.