North Carolina vs San Diego

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by gardenbliss, Jan 25, 2014.

1. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

2. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Yeah, SD sucks. That's why 90% of the people here are from somewhere else. Personally, I believe that everyone who lives here can trace it back to the military in some way. Those people know.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Just had a long talk with my brother in San Diego County last night. Their weather is number one. But I will now change my vote to NC. Expenses and politics of late.

4. Jaybirdypb

Jaybirdypb New Member

California is "full of fruits and nuts"? Seriously? That isn't very neighborly at all, especially on a camping forum. To each his own, I guess.

5. TwistedElvis

TwistedElvis New Member

If you can get over the sticker shock of the cost of living you will love the 362 days a year you can camp [:D]
    Been here in the San Diego Area for 45 years now! And being able to pack up and go camping any time you want is a good thing.
    5 to 10 min to the beach, 1.5 hours to the Desert or Snow 1 hour to the Mountains and a average temp of 72 deg's all year round is perfect!!!!!

6. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

I lived in Waynesville, in the mountains of western NC in the early 90's, moved to LA and lived there 10 years (though I worked in Orange County, close to San Diego) for a couple years. Can't beat the S. Cal. weather, however it costs, literally, twice as much to live there as NC (but my job paid twice as much so it was a wash.) You'll find lots to like (as well as dislike) about both. It all depends on what you are looking for. There's good camping in both places, but you can't beat the Smokies in the Fall, IMHO. Just be sure any job offer in Ca. pays twice as much and you will be OK. There's better city things (like sushi) in S. Ca. Tell us what you like, city or country living, and what your favorite activities are for a better contrast between the two.

Chip

7. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

That "joke" is as old as I am.
    A lot of us Californians say it in jest because we are an odd bunch of folks...
    Go to Berzerkly and then go to Venice Beach. You'll see! LOL

8. IPAman

IPAman New Member

My grandparents retired in Escondido/Poway in the late 60s and I sent many a summer there. I attended App St in Boone, NC. Both are beautiful parts of the country but Cali's cost of living is way higher. We recently passed on an great opportunity in the Bay area, close to DW's childhood home, because it would have taken an 80% raise just to maintain our standard of living.

Do searches on state income tax and cost of living in making your decision. SD isn't the liberal part of the state thanks to all the retirees and military connections.

Uwharrie National Forest is about an hour south of Greensboro and Pisgah and Cherokee National Forests and the Blue Ridge Parkway are about 2 hours west of there. There are National Forests all up and down the Appalachians in that area. The beach and Outer Banks is about 5 hours to the east.

Greensboro is going to be a culture shock coming from Seattle but the Blue Ridge Mtns are going to be much closer to the camping opportunities you're accustomed to. Plus there is the opportunity to hike along the Appalachian Trial.

9. IPAman

IPAman New Member

10. cannibal

cannibal New Member

I live in Escondido now!
    I also forgot to mention, there are a *lot* of really good breweries in San Diego and I can get to 7 just in a 10 minute radius. I still want to move somewhere less expensive to live, but at the same time there are a lot of things I would miss.

11. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Again, great advice from everyone. Well, DH is going to SD next week, NC to interview the week after, and now Richmond VA the following week. He's hoping for SD BUT I am quietly wishing for NC. It's a bit farther from the coast than I like but it seems more down to earth, which I am, plus we could have a piece of land to garden and more greenery. We swing more to the left and I'm hoping to find a good community wherever we end up. It sounds like camping is beautiful in both areas though. It will be hard to leave Seattle after living here for 20 years.

12. gardenbliss

Just an update:
    DH interviewed and was offered SD job. He flies to NC next week and they are taking him out to look at houses as part of the interview process. I feel like my future lies precariously in the balance. While it rains so often in Seattle, I will be sad to say goodbye to the evergreen state. I need to go on a solo camping trip to come to terms with this move after 20 years in one place. In my 20's, I moved quite a bit, from D.C. To New York City and upstate, then to Colorado for 6 glorious years until settling in Seattle. I think as we age and become more set in our ways, adaptation to change is harder (especially if kids are nearby or still in the home). We have 2 at UW so it's ironic that I will be moving away from them rather than the other way around. One DD still at home will come with us and another has chosen to stay with her dad and complete high school in Seattle. I am creating a small fissure in my family which I hope will not estrange them from me. This is not going to be easy.

13. sklargazer

sklargazer New Member

I live in Charlotte and we love it here. Cost of living is great. Couple of hours to mountains. Couple hours to beach. Lots of great camping options too.

2014 Jayco 1207
    2014 Honda Pilot

14. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

What part of SD would he be working in?
    SD is my home town, and I love it here, but it's not what it used to be. I have the best job I have ever had, but once that is over, I really don't expect to retire here. I am really getting tired of the traffic. It all depends on what area you would be working in, and where you would be living, but I live in El Cajon and work in Mira Mesa, and the traffic sucks, and the available mass transit doesn't help me at all. The further west you go, the more expensive the houses get, so I am kind stuck with it, for now, at least.

15. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Congrats to your husband on the job offer but I hope that he is offered one in NC. [;)]

16. gardenbliss

Thanks Speckhunter,

I'm sorta hoping for North Carolina myself even if Greensboro is 3 1/2 hours from the coast. There are a lot of nice people on this site from NC.

17. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Maybe a few of us can meetup with him, take him camping and help persuade his decision [}:)]

18. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

I grew up in So. Cal. lived for many years in Virgina. Came to Tacoma 35 yrs ago. The culture shock of the east cost is going to be huge. From seattle to the Bible belt is a real shock. Along with Bugs and humitity. NC is green and SD brown. I would stay in the GREAT NORTHWEST (lol). I think it will end up being standared of living that will decided, best of luck. Buy the way as long as you are togeather you'll be happy.

19. gardenbliss

Lol, thanks for the latest input. All good things to consider...traffic vs. the Bible Belt, brown vs green, humidity vs. non-stop sunshine (I like some variety). I really liked the idea if my fellow PUP enthusiasts who live in NC taking DH camping. My sweet DH unfortunately does not like to camp, so I go solo, with kids or friends mostly. I also like Heartman's suggestion if staying in the Pacific Northwest, but I am tired of so many rainy and sunless days.

20. IGYPup

IGYPup New Member

Stay in your time zone [LOL]