North Florida Rally....anything coming up?

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by JAXPOPPER, Jun 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAXPOPPER

JAXPOPPER Jax. FL Fleetwood Tucson

Hi Florida PUPs. I just registered on the portal a few days ago. Are there any plans for a Rally anytime soon. The last thread appeared in May...... I am in North Florida and wondered if there was any discussion.

2. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

There's a Fall Florida Rally ar Fort DeSoto.
    Maybe we should plan one -- a North Florida-South Georgia Rally -- this way we don't have to drive so far. Let's think of some places and dates.

3. JAXPOPPER

Yes. I definitely agree. I know several places in N. Florida or S. Georgia. I am just north of Jacksonville, FL in Nassau county.

4. JAXPOPPER

wont be able to make the Fort DeSoto rally but hope to next time a rally happens be able to attend. Hopefully something is planned soon!

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We would love to attend a rally. Never have! We are in North Florida and willing to go to central Florida or Georgia, but need some advance notice so we can get a reserved site. Since I've never even been to a rally, I'm in no position to host one - if so, I would be all over it!

6. Orchid

Why don't we just start one. If not an official rally, just a get together. Anyone got good suggestions that would still have sites available early next year?

We prefer wooded camping - no fields - and some place to fish. How about the rest of you?

7. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

So that we don't spend most of the weekend on the road, I was thinking about parks between Tallahassee and Jacksonville. Three came to mind,

Suwannee River SP, http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Suwannee-River-State-Park
    Stephen Foster SP, http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Stephen-Foster-Folk-Culture-Center-State-Park
    and O'leno SP, http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/O-Leno-State-Park

We've only stayed at O'leno, and it was just overnight in the Dogwood loop (sites 32-58, we had #47). It was tight getting around the loop,so we'll probably want the Magnolia loop (sites 4-31). The park and river are nice.

We're open to any of these (and if you have any favorites of your own, please post them).

There is no availability at these parks MLK weekend, but there are other open weekends in January and February. I think we can do this!

8. JAXPOPPER

Good morning! I have been to O'Leno State Park and wanted to visit Stephen Foster but havent been there. I will get ideas of places and we can see what works. I just got online but running errands now so will comment more later....
    :)

9. JAXPOPPER

Stephen Foster State Park looks very nice. I think we could go the beginning of the year or whenever would be good for you all. I like the link to see the campground sites, I never saw that and it is pretty cool to look at the spots first. I have never done a rally either but hey, not much planning then picking a date and site and getting some plans together, just wont be an official rally and whomever comes the more the merrier...

10. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

I looked into the availability of sites at Stephen Foster. I prefer one of the first two weeks in February--but I can set up a poll (in theory; I've never done it before...).

Jan 6 - 28 sites
    Jan 13 - 0 sites
    Jan 20 - 28 sites
    Jan 27 - 3 sites
    Feb 3 - 27 sites
    Feb 10 - 20 sites
    Feb 17 - 0 sites
    Feb 24 - 26 sites
    Mar 3 - 26 sites

I just realized a bar graph would be nicer! (Yes, I am avoiding doing work.)

Attached Files:

11. JAXPOPPER

I like the bar graph. That works perfect! Yea,the first 2 weeks in February would probably work for us. I am not quite able to commit to a certain week but can put my week preference in a couple days. I have to look at my work schedule as I have to travel for work but should have that answer on my week shortly. Thanks for putting the graph together.

12. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Hi Jacpopper -- here is my final graph. It shows the availability for all 3 parks. I hope Orchid chimes in.

Attached Files:

13. JAXPOPPER

she probably will soon. She was online earlier but logged off. I am game on going wherever the concensus

14. Orchid

Yay!

O'Leno and Stephen Foster are both fine with me. I don't like Suwannee as the site with hook-ups are too open. I like some woods between the sites, even if it's just a little. :)

We have Disney booked the last week of January so the second week or later of February would be great. We need at least a few days of down time after a week at Disney. [LOL] We usually go for a week a month through Oct - April.

I agree about Magnolia Loop at O'Leno being much better. The Dogwood loop is tight and we usually only do that loop if we are tenting. Plus, Magnolia is close enough to walk to the river.

We are close to Stephen Foster as well, and have been there many times for other things, but oddly enough, never camped there. We have drove through and checked out the sites, though, and it is nice.

Since none of us have day jobs, I'll leave the exact dates up to you guys. We don't have to work around anything other than our Disney trips. Looking at the calendar, anything the 3rd of February or after would give us enough time to regroup. :) I'm excited!

15. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Thanks Orchid. Let's plan for Stephen a Foster for
    February 10-12, 2017 or
    February 24-26, 2017.

When Jaxpopper can get time off will determine the weekend.

Jaxpopper, please let us know which weekend you get so that we can make our reservations.

Thanks again to you both!

16. JAXPOPPER

I can let you guys know in the next couple days so we can make reservations. I think this will be fun!

17. Orchid

Awesome!

Okay, I'm on here everyday, so as soon as I see the dates, I will reserve for us.

Woo Hoo, my first rally, even if it's a mini one! Hopefully more will see it and join us. [CP]

18. JAXPOPPER

Hey! We are all booked for Feb. 24th and 25th at Stephen Foster SP. I booked campsite #33 since it is fairly close to the bathhouse. You need to get booked now or asap.

19. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

We booked site 44 for Feb. 24 & 25th. I am not good at backing the camper in, and it may be dark when we arrive, so I opted for a pull-thru. That should save us ~30-45 minutes of "set-up" time!

After Orchid books, maybe we should start a new thread and call it "North Florida Mid-Winter Mini-Rally" (or something like that. This might attract a few more participants.

20. Orchid

Heading over to book right now.

BRB with our site number! [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.