North Mills River CG, Mill River

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by speckhunter80, Jul 6, 2016.

1. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

MILLS RIVER, NC-----North Mills River Campground
    Campground is in the Pisgah National Forest about 18 miles south of I-40 going thru Asheville. As with Davidson River and Lake Powhatan it is managed by the Cradle of Forestry. Consists of two loops, one being in a relatively flat low lying area and the other on the side of a ridge on the other side of the small shallow river. Has hot showers/flush toilets and a potable water source and only one site (14) has electricity. Campsites have picnic tables, tent pads, fire rings and lantern post. All sites are FC/FS
    Surrounding area has hiking trails, swimming/tubing in the river. Close to Brevard, the famous Sliding Rock and Looking Glass Falls.
    That I was unimpressed with the campground would probably be an understatement. A much better campground would be Davidson River or even better then that would be Lake Powhatan Campground.

2. Appaholic

Appaholic New Member Gold Supporting Member

This is one of my favorites, but only because I live 15min from there but still be out of cell range. I do not disagree with any of Speck's comments, just have a sentimental attachment to the area especially now that were moving back east.....

3. Lonewolf55

Lonewolf55 Going NoWhereFast

Hm...... I just did a video on this campground. Its true attraction is the area is is in. The River, the various waterfalls, the many hiking trails and forest roads. All within an easy drive to Asheville, NC. Its a very hard campground to get a reservation. But well worth it! https://youtu.be/3XwYSC6ntHU

megcabra likes this.
  4. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Y'all was in our neck of the woods... have stayed at mills river a few times, but like Powhatan better.
    Also like Curtis Creek near Marion.