Northern Winter Camping

SongCamper

Jul 4, 2017
Nashville
Has anyone done any winter camping? (Obviously that's a lot easier the farther south you go...we went in December here in Tennessee).

I'm especially interested to know if any brave folks have taken the PUP for an adventure up north?

GreyFox

Super Active Member
Oct 10, 2018
S Ontario
Has anyone done any winter camping? (Obviously that's a lot easier the farther south you go...we went in December here in Tennessee).

I'm especially interested to know if any brave folks have taken the PUP for an adventure up north?

Here in Ontario several of our provincial parks are open year 'round for camping and a couple offer a winter camping program as does a local conservation area near me. Last time I was up there at the beginning of Jan there were ~ 30 rigs, mostly travel trailers and 5ths but there were a couple of popups as well. Hardy folks for sure! :laugh:

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
I've always wanted to try winter camping (especially when I was a little younger) but haven't yet. Now with the tt (and pups before) I can't wrap my head around pulling the trailer through road salt & brine... this stuff destroys everything - especially does a number on any aluminum or alloy type metals (snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, even snowblowers). It's bad enough my truck has to be driven through it. [:(!]

GreyFox

Super Active Member
Oct 10, 2018
S Ontario
I've always wanted to try winter camping (especially when I was a little younger) but haven't yet. Now with the tt (and pups before) I can't wrap my head around pulling the trailer through road salt & brine... this stuff destroys everything - especially does a number on any aluminum or alloy type metals (snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, even snowblowers). It's bad enough my truck has to be driven through it. [:(!]

That's why several parks here in Ontario offer winter camping programs - take the trailer up in the fall, pick a site, and set your trailer up on that site where it remains until spring, usually April 30. All sites in the program offer 30 amp service and bath houses are heated & open 24/7.

Last edited:

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
A lot of campgrounds I found close during the winter where I live. I found a few that are open but it either was dry camping only and or no restrooms. In the cold I've learned I need electricity as a group 24 does not last long when you need your furnace. I have camped a few times with temps down in the 20's. Though I prefer when the day temps get above freezing. I've camped in the late fall many times and even woke up to a dusting of snow on occasion. I don't use onboard water and only camp with electricity so I can help supliment the furnace with my electric heater. I'm particularly worried about my canvas when it is below freezing and I need to close up. Vinyl can crack and the canvas very stiff when it's cold so I do limit when I go out in the winter. Besides my bones just doesn't like when it's cold anymore.

GreyFox

Super Active Member
Oct 10, 2018
S Ontario
I'm particularly worried about my canvas when it is below freezing and I need to close up. Vinyl can crack and the canvas very stiff when it's cold so I do limit when I go out in the winter.

Ergo the reason the vast majority of those who do winter camp do so in one type or another of hard side trailer - TT, 5th, MH, etc.

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI
When you say "take the pup for winter camping" you may wish to define that. We've taken ours out when temps go below freezing overnight, but that was more like fall camping, than winter.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
We have done spring and fall camping when there is snow, ice and temp are in the low teens at night. I'm not sure I would call it winter camping since it was in the fall.

When I was young I did some camping in -20F in a tent. Would not do that again.

Last edited:

GreyFox

Super Active Member
Oct 10, 2018
S Ontario
When you say "take the pup for winter camping" you may wish to define that. We've taken ours out when temps go below freezing overnight, but that was more like fall camping, than winter.

Too funny, reminds me of camping in mid-October when here in S Ontario the weather is generally pleasantly warm days / crisp nights and the leaves have turned to fall colours, perfect for sitting around a warm campfire. Ha, what do I know, this is what happened the weekend of Oct 17, 2015 - localized snow storm blew in off Lake Huron, roads blocked, power lines down everywhere, power out for 36 hrs, tree limbs crashing down in the campground. [:O]

LYK9lVVl.jpg"width=400"

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Nope, no way no how would I camp if there is snow. Heck fall rain is just as ugly especially if it is going to freeze. Although I have braved it a time or two.

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI
This is why you always need to ask "what is the weather you expect". Another weather note, if its 40 degrees out, raining and blowing, its very unlikely we'd go. But if its 20 out and snowing with little wind, we certainly would go. Rain might get you wet and hypothermic, where as snow much less so. Wet and wind is the killer, not snow. We are not winter camp experts, but we do have about 30 nights worth of doing that.

What does SongCamper say?

Nope, no way no how would I camp if there is snow. Heck fall rain is just as ugly especially if it is going to freeze. Although I have braved it a time or two.

Last edited:

bobinfleet

Super Active Member
Sep 2, 2011
Hampshire UK
We did it twice this winter. First time out our gas heater would not work properly due to the temp being in the 20's. Next we camped with electrics and that was great. The only issue was condensation on metal parts of the pup and the vinyl windows.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
Late last fall we were evicted from a campground in the Blue Ridge Mountains. There was a big snowstorm coming in and the park services did not want people stranded in the campground.