Not a Review but a Bit of a Rant.

Discussion in 'New York' started by daveo1289, Aug 3, 2019.

1. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

NYS Parks have announced that for the months of August and September, camping in parks along Lake Ontario will be at 50% off. Not a bad deal! I do however have a reservation for September at one of the parks listed. So I contact NYS Parks commission and mention it to them and ask how I can get the 50% reduction on my reservation. I get this reply, "This promotion only applies to new reservations." Going back to the information, I looked at the NYS websites and the original press release from our governor and no where in the official release or the other sites, is there any statement that it applies to new reservations. So I sent a note back to the commission and mentioned it and again, asked how do I go about getting my 50% reduction on my camp reservation. Now waiting again for an answer.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

Do they sell phone plans as well?

WVhillbilly, daveo1289 and eoleson1 like this.
  3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Cancel and the re-reserve.

4. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

This sounds typical of NYS. Don't you just love it here?
    I would do the same thing and just hammer them with paperwork. Will be curious to know if you get your discount.
    Good luck and let us know!

daveo1289 likes this.
  5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

This is pretty typical of how promotions work. It was fine to ask, but I wouldn't make a big stink over it.

As already mentioned you could cancel and re-reserve.

bayport and Toedtoes like this.
  6. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

I've really considered that. I'll wait a bit and see what my answer is before going that route.

7. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

I'm afraid that if I do make a big stink about it, our governor will pull my tax files for the last few years and go after me. but honestly, I'll probably cancel and reschedule.

tfischer likes this.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Seems pretty standard to me. Hotels, airlines, etc., all do the same - why wouldn't a campground.

These promotions usually occur in an effort to bring in last minute customers. You aren't a last minute customer.

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

How much money are we talking about? Is is really worth the trouble?

10. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

We're talking about aprox $50. I did get a reply from the NYS Parks today. Seems as if they redid the press release to exclude reservations already scheduled. The copy I have did not have that disclaimer. I lose, state wins.

11. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

I understand the whole thing. But in the original press release there was no mention of those having reservations not being included in the promotion. Today, it's different.

12. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

After the e-mail I got this morning, I contacted the NYS Parks and talked with a rep. I was told that the press release on Thursday was in error. It failed to include the statement about reservations already made, not being included. I lose, state wins. On with the show.

13. tfischer

I had a similar, non camping related incident last week. I was ordering a product and had a discount code from the company for ordering samples. The product was also on sale, and I had about $1100 worth of said product in the shopping cart, after the sale and discount price. I decided I wanted to reconfirm my order in the morning before hitting "submit". The next day I verify all is correct, and suddenly the price has jumped up by $60 or so. Turns out my discount code is no longer "valid".

Figuring a snafu since I had my cart open for so long, I sent the a quick email asking them to check into it. The response was "we don't honor discount codes on sale items". I responded that the night before the shopping cart indeed honored it, and had I pulled the trigger then I would have received the discount.

What I then got back was an email from the president of the company, apologizing and saying that if they honored both sale and discount code they would actually lose money on the deal, and the earlier shopping cart price was an error. I was bummed to see the price go up $60 but appreciated their communication and honesty.

daveo1289 likes this.
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

They were never trying to "screw you over". The promotion was always for new reservations only - they just didn't think they needed to spell it out.

When they started getting questions, they added the clarification.

You didn't lose - the promotion was never intended to apply to your prior reservation. They didn't "win" because they didn't change the policy to deny you something you were supposed to get.

durhamcamper likes this.
  15. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

I should take the coupon I just received in the mail to the restaurant I ate at under my reservation last week and ask if they will apply it to the check I already paid.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    kcsa75 likes this.
  16. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

A final update to this "rant". After thinking about how the state parks handled my inquiry, I happened to run in to my state senator at a farmer's market near us in the middle of August. I described the reservation thing to him and how the state press release was changed. He actually listened to me and had one of his aids take some info from me and said he'd look into it. I didn't think it would go any further. Yesterday, in the mail, I got a $25 gift card for a future camping trip in a NYS park. Nothing else. The envelope had only the state of NY header on it. So, either the senator got the NYS parks to issue it or he went out and got one and sent it to me. I'm leaning to the senator had his aid get me one. NYS doesn't give away anything.

Sjm9911 and hayyward like this.
  17. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

If you cancel and reapply they will most likely be filled up haha...

Roy Ken

18. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Good thing the Senator is spending his time on something important.

19. tfischer

Who says you can't buy votes? lol

daveo1289 likes this.