Not a simple barring problem

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by jmkay1, Mar 15, 2016.

1. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Earlier I posted about my first shake down camping trip in my new to me popup and finding my barring really hot. So assumed worst case the barrings leaked. Well i had an RV shop look at the issue and although my barrings wernt the greatest the main issue was the drums were really rusted. The RV guy said, " the only time I've seen them this bad was on boat trailers.". Barrings were completely black and in dire need of cleaning and repacking. I knew they didn't do the greatest of maintenance on this trailer, but didn't realize it was this bad. when I bought the trailer, I checked for frame rust and soft or blackend spots on the underside which there were none. I didn't think to study behind the wheels as the hub's looked clean. What gets me is it supposedly passed VA state inspection. I wouldn't have driven 10 hours on this trailer had I known. Oh well lesson learned and $$ spent to start afresh and very fortunate nothing further than hot barrings to signify a problem.

2. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Reminds me to go check my bearings since I'm going to be going on a long trip in a week.

Just goes to show you cannot take anything for granted, especially things you never see, like bearings.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Did they replace the drums as well?

4. molanginaeda

molanginaeda Member

Sounds like a jiffy lube visit. Can you post or list what services done by the dealer?

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The trailer is still in the shop and i hope to get it back this weekend. They called me today to discuss the plan of action. They said one drum would have to be replaced for sure the other was not dire and could last me a little bit longer but would need be replaced sooner vrs later . i told them to replace both now, I'd rather start afresh. I think both brakes will have to be replace and the barrings either replaced or cleaned. My wallet is going to be hurting, but i 'd rather know that everything is new on both sides vrs worry when and how the other side would fail.

6. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I just replaced my brakes assembly today, only thing left is the drums. It is a really simple process for those mechanical inclined. Reason I changed mine was that the rim was getting hot and I could feel the trailer pull when I braked. It was the driver (left) side. Since I bought both I will change the passenger (right) side later but I am going against the clock here fixing the stuff I will have a hard time fixing in storage. Our HOA dont allow trailers either but they generally give you a day or two before sending a reminder. they used to be very strict but 12 years into it now they are more neighborly...

Good luck!

7. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Odd to say the least. Drums will almost ALWAYS rust. The machined surface starts to rust almost as soon as it cools off from the trip. It sounds like you're being taken for a ride by the shop. A rusty drum isn't gonna build any heat.

8. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Agreed. And if it truly is THAT bad, why not just replace the entire axle? They aren't that expensive and are held on by 4 u-bolts on a leafsprung suspension and even easier on a torsion axle. I'm rebuilding a HD 16ft flatbed trailer to serve as my hauler for bikes and ATVs. I put a 4000# axle with brakes under it for about $330, complete with all new hardware. If you can change a tire you can also swap out an axle. Any reputable trailer shop can take measurements and order the right axle. Usually, they are measure hub to hub (at the backing plate) or spring pad to spring pad. Again, the shop can take the measurements and be responsible for ordering the right part. Just don't like seeing another enthusiast get taken at their local "repair" shop.....