Not leveling your rig?

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by ham fam, Sep 21, 2021.

1. ham fam

ham fam Member

We went camping this past weekend and I couldn’t believe the number of campers that didn’t level off their rigs! Some were pop ups one was a huge 5th wheel. The fifth wheel must have been up by 8” front to back! This is crazy to me. Don’t fifth wheels have hydraulics for leveling? I could see if someone didn’t want to level off side to side, sometimes you just get it good enough, and leave it. But front to back is easy to level off. Don’t fridges need to be level for proper operation? Sinks and toilets need to be leveled for proper operation.

2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Hard to sleep when not level.

3. mandinga

mandinga Active Member

I have noticed this a lot too. Lot of trailers crank up the tongue to unhitch, then leave it nose high. If I'm not perfectly level, it drives me nuts.

Annunzi likes this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

I've seen that, too. People are not level headed anymore. A level baffles them.

5. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

Only absorption refridges. 12v compressor and "residential" refridges do not need to be level. I bet that 5th wheel you saw had a residential fridge.

Level is the only way. But I see tent people setting up away from tent pads that are mostly level on hillsides all the time. It blows my mind.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I get it if they only pulled in for the night and plan to get back on the road but they are usually still hooked up to their car. Or moved the car a few inches forward so hooking up is easier in the am. It doesn't make sense if they are staying longer than a night though. I think it mainly has to do with inexperienced campers or real lazy ones. Guarantee they didn't get a one on one how to when they bought their campers especially if was a Covid purchase. One would have thought they would have done research by now or put 1+1 together and realized the tongue jack does more than just enable hooking to your truck. Unfortunately some people's brains don't know how to think for itself. Scary thought they are towing if that's the case.

neighbormike likes this.
  7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

And procreating.

neighbormike and theseus like this.
  8. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If my doors swing in the slightest when I let go of them, it drives me crazy. I have done the one night and don't unhitch twice. Each time I was still able to level.

theseus and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Level is the reason I got a pup. Otherwise I'd just tent camp.

xxxapache and DiamondGirl like this.
  10. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

While some are clearly not level....Sometimes your eyes can play tricks on you as well.
    A couple of family members have big rigs and i swore they didn't look level but but the campers level
    and a 4 foot level don't lie.

neighbormike and DiamondGirl like this.
  11. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

We worked hard to level our TT at the lake last weekend. Took lots of ingenuity to do so. Looks like I’ll have to order more stuff before our next lake trip. The water is high and the slope is higher. Not much room left on the beach because of the water level.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Hey DG. Several times I pounded out a system recap on these pages. I nail leveling first time every time. My accuracy is -/+ 1/2 degree. Only works on single axle Aliners <GG>

DiamondGirl likes this.
  13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I still cary an extra milk crate full of cribbing. You never know when you need it. So , in total i have the camco curved x 2 , one set of legos, and one box of wood. Plus i have blocks under each stabilizers. Yea, im nuts. I never needed to go into the extra wood box yet, at least for myself. I have lent it out.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  14. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Speaking about that, my bal lever seems to finally have shipped.. a month late

DiamondGirl likes this.
  15. DiamondGirl

The lakeshore was on a big incline. We used (2) 2x6, an Andersen curved leveler with chock and a big nail. It took about 1.5ft. to level the trailer tire from side to side on the incline.

Previously, DH cut a 2x6x8 into sections with angled ends. One piece is shorter than the other but when placed together, they are angled in unison and stackable. He stacked 2 of them with one on top of the other. The top of each piece has a traction sticker added to help keep in place. We added the Andersen curved leveler on top of the two pieces to give us the right height for leveling. It worked but was tricky because of the blocks moving as the trailer tire moved onto them.

Before our next lakeshore camping trip, DH will drill a hole, counter set it in the middle of the blocks to insert a large metal stake inside to mount into the ground and keep from moving when driving the trailer’s tire on top.

We use Andersen stabilizer blocks for each stab. They worked very well. And they were high enough to use without issues. They can also be stacked on top of each other. They aren’t cheap either.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I had bolts on the step chocks i made with the pup. Yea, thats high. But when there is a will there is a way!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  17. DiamondGirl

@Sjm9911… We got the last spot available on the lakeshore. And there weren’t other options. We got there early and beat the crowds showing up the next morning. We hope to be lucky again next time. And find another spot at the lakeshore.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Just make sure your head is on the high side. Learned that backpacking where it is hard to level a tent.

Patrick w and Wakita46 like this.