not many pop ups for sale, at any price!

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by penny, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

You could probably hunt something living inside it...

Rik Peery, Toedtoes and BillyMc like this.
  2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Send jonkquil's cat in - he's a mighty hunter.

Steveo4090 likes this.
  3. Steveo4090

He may never want to leave that rat trap

Toedtoes likes this.
  4. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Simpler to just buy a new empty trailer from a trailer sales company, and build your own popup, if you are into doing that much work!

5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

6. Storm

Storm New Member

Lucky for me i bought my pup 2 years ago as a restore project. I spent all my life using tents and I always had to have at least a few Diffrent size tents. Lol. Although my pup is pretty much done and went on her 1st camping trip w us. I still brought one of my tents! Just to have with me. But keep looking if you really want one this season you might get lucky . even if it's towards the end.

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

we sold an excellent condition 2005 Fleetwood Colonial last year, bought a travel trailer (didn't work out) and decided to buy another folding trailer this year. Wow...they are in demand. in Metro St. Louis folding trailers listed on Craigs List sell same day for asking price. and the brand new PUP's are really expensive...as much as a small TT. wish PUP's would make a comeback. sometimes the local state parks feel like land of the giant RV's. oh well, to each their own.

Orchid, Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Rik Peery

Orchid likes this.
  9. Steveo4090

Roanoke, nice. I used to live in Lynchburg.

Here's a really nice one in se pa
    https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/809349042929611/?ref=browse_tab&tracking={"qid"%3A"6855053761185170112"%2C"mf_story_key"%3A"3137341193025571"%2C"commerce_rank_obj"%3A"%7B%5C"target_id%5C"%3A3137341193025571%2C%5C"target_type%5C"%3A0%2C%5C"primary_position%5C"%3A-1%2C%5C"ranking_signature%5C"%3A0%2C%5C"commerce_channel%5C"%3A503%2C%5C"value%5C"%3A0%2C%5C"upsell_type%5C"%3Anull%7D"%7D

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Rik Peery likes this.
  10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  11. Rik Peery

For dang sure is a nice one...we're in west Roanoke County, may go to Roanoke city once a year if that lol...Lynchburg is a nice area, been a few years since we've been there...

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

The old girl is sitting there begging for someone to haul it to the dump and put it out of it's misery.

Steveo4090 and Rik Peery like this.
  13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

They make a nice base for a utility trailer or foamy camper when the box and bunks are beyond repair.

14. mcgillclan4

mcgillclan4 Member

I feel very fortunate. I’ve been researching pop ups since last fall and REALLY wanted one this season. We were going to wait until the end of this season to save up a little more, but hello stimulus check! Thankfully we jumped right on buying one right at the very beginning of all of this COVID stuff before everyone else realized they wanted one. Man! I’ve been looking at prices since late fall 2019 and they have DEFINITELY gone up in my area. Mine probably would be listed at least 1k more. Maybe 2. So crazy.

I’m SO thankful that we got on it and have been enjoying it this season quite a bit already. It’s been a steep learning curve but I’ve really enjoyed learning all about the maintenance, mods, repairs and all of it. I got mine for $3800 which seems really high in some areas but out west that’s what they were going for. Would have been cheaper in fall probably in a “normal” year. Almost the exact same one as mine but different floor plan listed for $6300 shortly after I bought mine!! Now I’m seeing them in the 5k range. And ones 10 years older and not in as nice condition are listing for what I bought mine at.

My husband jokes that we should sell it and make a profit but too much time and sweat and love is in it already. No way am I selling it. Plus it’s not like I could find a replacement!

15. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Thats the problem if you sell, Yours has gone way up but so are all the other ones you would be looking at as a replacement. I say if you got a good one hold on to it.

16. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I just sold mine 2 weeks ago after a camping trip. Was tired of the setup/takedown game every time I wanted to use it, clean it, or whatever. I bought it (2006 Jayco Baja 10Y with front deck) in the summer of 2017 for $5500. Had to drive to another state to get it from the dealership as that kind of trailer is hard to come by around here. Since then, I installed new tires, added my own custom roof rack (no holes in the roof), mounted 260w of solar, and tossed in a simple charge controller and power inverter. I also gave away a brand new cassette toilet that my wife refused to use. Sold it for $6500 to a family guy moving his family up front tents. He asked why I was asking considerably more than book value for it and my reply was 100% honest: "If you can find one this clean and well-cared for, with my mods, and for cheaper........go buy it."

I was only selling it to simplify my camping experience by moving up to a real TH. I didn't NEED to sell it, in fact, I had to talk myself into it! Figure now was likely the best time since everyone and their sister is camping (thanks Covid!). Additionally, I would only sell if I could find a replacement camper that was bigger, had exactly what I was looking for, and could get it for LESS than what I sold the 10Y for. Mission accomplished. Found what I wanted and even came with a bonus 30gal fuel station that they hadn't mentioned in their ad.

Sjm9911 likes this.