not sure if it possible

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Caper, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Caper

Caper Member

Hey Gang
    is it possible to get a device that enhances camp ground wifi at my pup.
    is there a such thing as a wifi reception booster.

I know I know we go camping to get away but i have been entrusted with more duties at work and would like to receive and check emails and whatnot while using the camp grounds wifi..

Thanks in advance
    Caper

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Take it from someone who has also "been entrusted with more duties at work"....make it a point to walk toward the office a couple of times during the day, instead of trying to get the wifi all the way to the campsite. Your kids will thank you.

3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I used a WiFi booster a few years ago that was very effective. Made by Wilson Electronics. Boosted my cell which I used as a hotspot. Got reception in some very remote areas. About $400

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I know they make something for like residential homes. I think however it will still be dependent on if there already is wifi available. I know the campgrounds I stay at have no wifi and I'm very lucky I would have cell service. On occasion if I knew I had to work a little on vacation I found a private campground with wifi, or I have very good cell signal to use a hotspot.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

There are boosters, I've seen them for the big RVs. The assumption is that you're boosting adequate wi-fi to begin with, though. Many places that have wi-fi have barely sufficient. Even with excellent signal strength, I sometimes have difficulty picking up email during "prime time" (5 in the morning is pretty good)
    [campgrounds have been adding wi-fi over the years, but keeping up with demand for streaming videos, multiple devices per site (my husband and I often are checking our emails at the same time, on separate devices), etc. etc. is like running in mud]

6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Boosters, in my experience, don't help a lot.
    If work thinks you NEED to be in constant contact then I would suggest to them that they need to pay for a booster.
    Otherwise just do what I do on moto trips. Find some high ground, or free wi fi (Mcdonald's, public library or similar) and check in a couple times a day.
    We plan moto rallies in areas that specifically don't have wi fi or cell service to keep everyone from staring at their phones all weekend. :D

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

For a booster (repeater) to work, you must have decent a signal to begin with.

D_Gibb and WVhillbilly like this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

The only campground I've ever been to that even has wifi is Fort Wilderness at Disney.

You can get a Verizon mifi box or AT&T homebase and bring your own wifi along if you need it. Personally, we just get along with our phones for what little access we need. We don't have Netflix, or any streaming service, but do usually bring along a couple of DVDs to watch at night or in case of rain. I also always have my Kindle loaded up with books. :smiley:

9. Caper

Caper Member

I just want to try and enhance the campgrounds wifi signal to my pup. there will be no streaming just emails.
    I'm looking to receive a stronger signal from the campgrounds wifi.
    We aren't big on the kids using their electronics although they bring them they spend most of their time outside playing. We do permit them to use them but they know we don't allow it constantly.
    its mostly for my use and benefit.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Whether or not you want to stream isn't really the issue - the problem is that many campgrounds just don't have enough wi-fi pipeline. As I said, I can sometimes have difficulty simply picking up e-mail when others are on the system too.

11. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

look up Cantenna. The wifi repeaters you are describing are designed to be installed where the signal drops off, not at the point of use.

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We camp mostly in a couple of state parks. I can usually get enough cell service to keep up with email, but I've also made friends with the ladies in the park office who shared the passwords with me. If I have to use my laptop I can usually get connectivity sitting in the truck in the parking lot.

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

J Starsky likes this.
  14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Most of the campgrounds I have been in (state parks in TX) had minimal wifi, and then only in a very small bubble around the front office. Some are adding more repeaters, but they still only have the absolute lowest possible speed. The service was so spotty, slow and unreliable, even when I had a strong signal outside the office that I don't bother anymore.

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Ok, think of Wifi like a hose.

If you want to drink from the hose, even just sip lightly, the hose has to be two things... long enough to reach you where you're at AND big enough to deliver enough water at a rate you can drink at, or more.

I get the feeling you view this as a fire hose that isn't long enough. If you could get a booster to get a longer hose, you could drink reliably from the fire hose. What many have said is, that's not the case. You may experience a short hose, where the signal just can't reach you, but even if you got to the hose, you're going to find that the entire campground is drinking from a soda straw. No matter how long the hose reaches, it just can't give enough water.

So, even if you boost the signal (get a long hose), you still may only get a trickle of water (slow speed) since there's only so much water (data) the soda straw can provide to the whole campground.

Boosting the signal may help in the case where you have a marginal signal, but it won't ever help with the overall size of the hose (bandwidth) which is usually the reason for very slow speeds, timeouts and poor performance.

I've been at a lot of campgrounds with awesome signal... it's pretty cheap to have signal. BUT, the overall bandwidth was HORRIBLE, making the entire network slow, even with a strong signal. So, they have giant pipes, connected to an IV drip.

The advice you're getting is pushing you to get away from the CG's WiFi and get a boosted data connection to a digital device, which will have much more bandwidth. If your work requires digital connection, they may be willing to pay for a device to do it. If you just don't like things piling up whilst you're gone... well, either find a Zen way of dealing with that, or bite the bullet and consider CG WiFi a gimmick and rely on your own data connection.

Best of luck!

Caper and kitphantom like this.