Not sure what this frame is under the rear of our pop out?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by donaltman3, Oct 27, 2020.

1. donaltman3

donaltman3 New Member

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I debated should this be here or the "what is this part" forum section. Long story short I have a weird frame that is attached and tucked under and hugs the bottom rear of the popup. I think it is probably some sort of storage rack but has no clue how it works, if it is supposed to hold a tank. I have no idea if this was an add on or standard equipment. Just guessing it might have been for a greywater rollout tank, if so it must be very very slim (4 inches high tops probably?!?) It has latches but I see nowhere to actually latch it up so we have to use a ratchet strap to keep it from dragging. The previous owner had no idea what is was for either.

2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Motorcycle rack ?

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

A few models had racks underneath for transporting gray water tanks. Maybe it's one of those?

4. donaltman3

donaltman3 New Member

This would be my guess but I have not found any literature on them or pictures of the tank it held.. if that is what it is. The rack does not slide forward it just drops down to the ground. I want to cut it off rather than have it held in place by a ratchet strap. But before I do that, it would be nice to know for sure what it was. I might even try to use it again rather than remove it.

5. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Very interesting, I love a mystery. It appear there are actually two long "shelves" under there. Are they hinged at the front? The width of the two together looks to be significant, maybe 4' or so? The handle at the back seems to imply that someone would lift the bracket to load and unload it, and use the cam-latches to secure the aft end and the cargo, once whatever was there was in place. It appears that the two cam latches are oriented differently, the one on the left appears to secure whatever was on the "shelf" and was locked or pinned in place in that U-bracket on to the right once the latch was down? The latch on the right seems to be oriented up and down, not right to left, correct? And it looks like it would latch to the bottom not the top; an odd orientation that adds to the mystery.

I do think you're right about the gray water tank. Coleman used to make a transport under carrier for a Barker really thin gray water tank. Barker stopped making and selling that tank so I think Coleman dropped the transport rack. It was not intended to be used while in the rack, only transported there. If it is that, some of the latching parts are certainly missing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    That is a Coleman Grand Touring, what model?

If it swings down, as it appears to, and you can figure a good secure way to fasten it up for travel, it might be a handy place to store a folding table or two or some folding chairs. It would be kind of trick to properly secure it and I would not be too comfortable using those lightweight cam-latches for the purpose. Like you, I'm not sure what the original owner might have actually used it for but it is pretty clever. Many have wondered about added storage under their PUPs - like maybe putting their spare tire under there, but you still have the spare tire cover in place on the back, so I doubt that was the purpose for this, and 4" of underside clearance is not enough for a spare tire in any case.

I'm looking forward to the clever minds here to chime in with good ideas.

6. flingwing1969

If you are interested in reviving the rack, Barker makes a different low profile 15 gallon tank that might work, the wheels look like they will ride nicely on your "shelves".

[​IMG]

7. flingwing1969

Like I said though, I'd leave it there and figure a way to connect it up. Good spot for short term storage during transport to the campsite. Too good not to use because it's already there and factory installed. What an opportunity - I wish I had one on my Santa Fe.

I would never get a 15 gallon tank for us. I have an old 5-gallon hydraulic fluid can that I use for gray water collection and I only fill it up every few days. 15-gallons can be a chore to haul and dump, unless you have a station to dump in and it is nearby. Our campgrounds don't have such a thing, we have to haul to the community toilets so I'd never have a big tank like this starting at 7:14.

Let us know what you figure out.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  8. donaltman3

donaltman3 New Member

I will be trying to figure it out for sure. The Shelves look like they are made so that a wheel could roll on them.. the middle hollow except for some cross bars.

9. donaltman3

donaltman3 New Member

It is a 2003 Coleman Niagara Elite.

flingwing1969 likes this.