Not very Happy with Fretz RV in Pa.

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by vagabondslr42, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Cancel and get your deposit back which is most likely the only thing you can get from them. I have talked to Fretz in the past a few times, and they seemed decent to me for what its worth. Do you have anything in writing regarding the deposit stipulations. If they are as I think they are the deposit would be refunded if you cancel .
    Your probably getting your popup built now because they are going into the slow season. It ramps up again in Feb when all the orders from the winter shows start coming in.

What do you have for a TV? You could just PM me.......I deliver to DE and this is in stock. I think I could even arrange financing where I have it financed in MD. Its full of food right now. There is a box of Little Debbie pumpkin delights in it too. And I'll throw in a case of craft beer.
    CLICKY

2. vagabondslr42

vagabondslr42 New Member

All I know, I had a handshake and a Guarrantee for it to be in to the dealership in 6-8 weeks, or sooner guarranteed! What, somebodies word is no good anymore. According to a lawyer friend that is a binding contract. But the delay of the camper was never told to me by the dealership. They kept me hanging till I finally went right to the source of Jayco, and even then I had a runaround. Wasn't till the Hershey show, which was at the 8 week point did I finally find the truth. Did they notified Fretz RV, darn tootin they did weeks before the show......did Fretz anyone let me know...NO! That's why I am more pissed off than anything else. No phone calls...... like I didn't matter in their eyes. Didn't and could not cancel due to the one that was available in Albany, NY was sold when I told them that I was buying local, to support locally rather than driving 8 hrs to them. Thought I was doing good, but heck NO. So now October 29th it will be ready for pickup. I do derserve some satisfaction but not by some store credit, I live over 2 1/2 hour away. We will see at that point and I will surly be back on this forum to inform you all the outcome. I am going in with a clear head, not angry and will see what is on the tble if anything, but I do expect something and that is for sure. For They did know ahead of time and kept it from me and kept me dangling. Surely, you would feel the same way. [ALPU]

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Now make the dealer open up the camper and you look through it dammit hard. Make sure everything works well make them wait for you to finish and you make sure that they fix everything before you HAUL off the camper. They might throw in a few things to make you happy. Get an extra tire if you can! Outdoor mat... a few folding chairs. etc etc...

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

> a Guarrantee for it to be in to the dealership in 6-8 weeks, or sooner guaranteed!

I'm still not sure what this means. Guarantees are typically backed by "if we don't meet this condition, the following will happen...". If the guy just said "I guarantee it will be there when you want it", I'd take that to mean "I sure think, based on my experience here, you'll have it by then". But not literally a "guarantee"

5. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Exactly. This is what I would have done too. Moved on and got a camper some where else and enjoyed the season. I doubt you will get anything out of them. Apparently they weren't able to deliver abd that stinks. Maybe they will give you some free accessories for your troubles. That is about all I can see a place doing.

6. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

This thread is a joke right?

7. Old_Geezer

Not to vagabondslr42 it's not.

If someone told you "6 to 8 weeks guaranteed" for delivery, in those exact words, you would surely have the right to expect that in no uncertain terms. Common business courtesy would of been for the dealer in question to promptly notify the buyer and keep him informed of the status. Even more so when it became clear that the manufacture and delivery would be delayed. Lots of things could of played out here. The salesman could of told him that without the permission to do so. Who knows

The dealer knew exactly what as going on. They deal with those brand reps on a daily basis. As far as what they owe you that's open for debate. They should offer you something for the aggravation for not meeting their commitment, and then not keeping you in the know. Not a lot you can do though. You can hire an attorney and sue them. You're not going to do that. You should of demanded something in writing stating the 6 to 8 weeks. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on ordering a new HTT and they need a Grover down for the deposit. I will get something in writing. I was told it SHOULD be 6 to 8 weeks but could go longer with Thanksgiving etc. I have the luxury of not needing it until April, vagabond didn't have that. It screwed his fall camping season and I too would be irate.

I am afraid you may have got caught up in the Hershey circus. Do you realize how big of a deal that show is for manufacturers and dealers in this region? Hershey is a huge fiasco that takes tons of resources, time and manpower from all involved. I am not defending them, but I think you moved to the bottom of the list until that whole mess was behind them.

Now you may get a good break. The factory's are going into the slow time of year. Its a known fact that units built from October to February are often much better build quality and fit and finish. Once February gets here the orders start flying in from all the winter shows and the factory's go into warp speed.

vagabondslr42, you could forget about all of this and cancel the order. Buy my 2013 HTT. Drive out here to western PA and see it. Stay in it few nights up in the yard [:D] You can not get that kind of service at any camper dealer [LOL]

8. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

All they (manufacturers and dealers) care about is getting our money. That is it. After that, it is so sorry Charlie. It is like an animal mating ritual. Once they consummate the deal (take our money), they move on to the next prospect, and we are only of value when we are ready to mate/make a purchase again. Been around too long, been reamed too many times, fought back through countless sham jobs to believe otherwise. I go into every purchase ready to be violated. I do all of my homework, ask all of the questions that I can think of, investigate and research until I am breathing the purchase item, but I still expect to get ripped. This goes for service work as well.

I just say, "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah - whatever, Pal. Just give me the thing/do the service, and I will clean up and repair after you." I no longer look for satisfaction with "stuff." I am hoping for the best for you, vagabondslr42. Keep us posted.

9. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Restitution would indicate that you suffered a loss. You have not.

You ordered it and the dealer is fulfilling the order as delivered to them by the factory. The dealer could have done a better job of communicating but have done nothing wrong.

I don't understand why you continue with these unrealistic claims.

10. tfischer

He suffered the loss of 2 months of the camping season that he intended to use his new camper with. Now he can take his new camper home and store it for the winter... not a lot of fun.

11. Customer

The dealer did not force them to sell the RV they had previously, it was their choice.

Loss refers to monetary loss, not inconvenience.

12. tfischer

I beg to differ. If you take your car in for an oil change, and they end up keeping the car for 3 weeks, you're going to claim "loss". He also could have lost reservation $$$s for camping that he couldn't do, etc.

13. Old_Geezer

Oh brother, ^^^ this is the kind of stuff that turns me off to this forum now days

I have no reason to question the OP as to the accuracy of how he says it transpired and what was stated.

Its simple. If they told him verbally "We guarantee your new unit will be delivered in 6 to 8 weeks" there is nothing more to debate. That's a contract in the state of PA.
    They knew exactly what the status was. Jayco does not operate by seat of the pants management and planning. All it takes is the dealer to call the factory rep, and the factory rep to jump on the Jayco system. Once the order is placed they can tell you almost to the day when it will be built and shipped.

No matter if the dealer forgot to order, delayed ordering it, etc etc, or the manufacturer had problems, the dealer is the manufacturers agent so it is his responsibility.

Now if they owe him damages you can beat that horse to death. He is not going to get an attorney and sue the dealer or Jayco. They should at least offer him something to make up for the aggravation. That would just be common courtesy in this situation.

14. colocmpr

colocmpr Member

I agree that the dealer is the point of contact to the customer for the manufacturer and is the one that is representing the details of the sale. As such, they should have good insight into the manufacturer's build schedule and be able to make commitments (verbal or else wise) that can be met. And if they can't be met for some reason, they should make an effort to keep the customer happen in the process. It doesn't sound like there is a legal obligation to do anything. I don't know if the customer can cancel the order at this point and get their deposit returned but that seems like a reasonable option that should be offered.

However, despite the bad experience waiting for the camper, it sounds like that is going to be over soon and you'll have the new camper. I would settle as best as you can with the dealer (even if they offer nothing) complete a thorough inspection with them and take the camper that you chose. It's a disappointment for this year but if you read this forum you'll see that camping is just like life - things often don't go as planned and you need to make the best of them. Don't let the purchase experience sit in your craw and sour you on the camper and all of the fun that you're going to have - you will be set for a great year of camping in 2016 and this will soon just be a distant memory.

15. Customer

The situation is unfortunate and I sympathize with vagabondslr42, but the dealer did not take their RV. If vagabondslr42 had chosen to trade the previous RV or sell it after receiving the new one, they could still be using it. They chose to sell it as indicated in the quote below;

Other than being poor communicators, the dealer is not at fault. I imagine the dealer felt that the production and delivery date was as accurate as they could estimate based on information from the factory. In life we learn over time that some things are beyond our control and beyond the control of others. Continually bashing a dealer who is powerless to change the time frame simply creates an adversarial relationship with that dealer.

If anything, vagabondslr42 should be cultivating a friendly relationship with the dealer and asking the dealer to seek recompense from the factory. It will probably fall on deaf ears at the factory but Jayco management may choose to make a goodwill gesture by reducing the cost or tossing in some accessories.

Like all dealers, Fretz probably operates on a thin margin. If the dealer gave up their entire profit vagabondslr42 most likely would think it insufficient compensation for their pain and suffering of being without an RV for a couple months.

It is best to not sweat the small stuff. No amount of stewing and complaining will get the RV delivered any faster. It only accomplishes two things, it creates animosity between the dealer and customer and it increases the aggravation that vagabondslr42 and the family feels.

16. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

I've been following this thread and have yet to comment, as most anything that can be said very definitely has the potential to either be misinterpreted or to be inaccurate (nobody but the OP was present at the time the order was placed or has been present during any of the subsequent communications) or to be a personal opinion (which is what this is).

Arguing legality and other nuances in a situation like this, in my opinion, is not constructive. The only thing I'd consider getting a lawyer involved with MIGHT be drafting a letter on their letterhead. Were it me in the OP's shoes (it's not) I'd exercise the only bit of leverage I had - walk away. I'm not sure what kind of security deposit was placed, but it would likely not be difficult to recover it at this point, regardless of what the contract says. I would choose to vote with my wallet (which is why I've not stepped foot in several retail establishments - non-camper-related - in a number of years). If I'd already missed out on the whole season of camping, even if they were prepared to discount the purchase price heavily, I'd still walk away, on principle. Otherwise, any time I went camping in my new camper and had a great time it would be soured by the negative purchase experience I'd had, and any time I went camping in my new camper and something went wrong it would be compounded by the negative purchase experience I'd had. In fact, I'd likely consider purchasing a camper from a whole different manufacturer, as that would really be my only ammunition against the experience I'd had. Overreaction? Possibly. Did anyone involved in what I perceived to be an unacceptable service experience get any of my money? Nope.

Again, this is my personal opinion - please take whatever action you feel is necessary.

17. tfischer

I agree with you and I've said exactly that repeatedly in this thread, as have others. I'm really not sure why the OP is sticking along with the dealer through all of this... I would have cancelled my order in September.

18. bondebond

bondebond New Member

It is baffling why the OP continues to think he should continue to deal with this dealer, and expect restitution for no actual legal grievance.

Get a refund, move on, find what you want, go camping, stop whining and playing the victim.

I for one would NOT want to have further dealings with this dealership as the relationship is soured and there WILL be warranty repair work on the PUP. Why not take your business elsewhere and start fresh without the naivety.

19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Go to another dealer and see if they have the same model as you want... and get the price you want and hope it is lower than theone you are waiting for... get the refund and buy it from another dealer.... go go go go

20. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

I don't mind the complaining - it's one of the more entertaining threads going on here and I'm really pulling for the OP to get some satisfaction. I think crappy customer service should be fought hard. Yeah, you could walk away but spread the word while you do.

If I were he, I might even send this thread link to the dealer. They are, after all, advertisers on this site.